Buying A Caravan With Damp: Should I?

RichardM

Hello all,

Still looking for our next caravan, and this one caught my eye: 1994 Avondale

However, it has damp:

There was water damage to the panel near the front window due to the last owners leaving a window open, (i have added a photo of this) but is now dry.

also there is a damp area in the back of the wardrobe (see photo) which has come from the outer seal above it, this could be fixed by simply re-sealing it with silicone as there is no outer damage.

Should I run a mile, or is it fixable? What's it worth?

Thanks!

Last caravan: 2005 Elddis Odyssey 540 with mover.

Tow car: Range Rover 3. 9 V8 LPG.

Hi Richard,

If you are certain of the extent of the damp and the subsequent damage (I would want it thoroughly checking) then I would have thought a good reseal would work. You'll then have a 'van that you know shouldn't leak for many years,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

A word of caution, Richard.

The Ebay seller is being quite open in the fact that the caravan has damp, but the cause of the damp is his opinion. Likewise his suggested solutions. Unless you personally crawl all over this van, don't even think about it.

The older I get, the better I used to be

I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial barge pole you just can't be sure of what you might be letting yourself in for. I have a friend in West Yorkshire who repairs caravans and is very good at what he does. .he buys and sells as well but even he's been caught a few times. .There are plenty of nice ones out there

Cheers

Hobbynut

It wasn't me. .The big lads did it and ran away

Would i buy it? In a word . .. no.

Should be plenty of good value 'vans about so I would go for one of them.

2010 Volvo XC70 D5 SE Lux (2012 V60 D5 All Wheel Drive R Design after March 12!)

2012 Swift Conqueror 480, with Omnivent, Mini Heki in Loo, Mudflaps and ALKO Mammut Mover

Get a damp test done. Anything over 25% is probably irreparable.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Depends how cheap it is. ... if it is a couple of hundred then there is little to loose if it is not much less than a dry one then leave it alone.

Well, it's already at £515. ........

I have £1,000 to spend. All I want is something bigger than a 2 berth, with a large double bed and a good shower (I will be spending a lot of time in it). Do you think I can find something? :(

some people will sell anything on ebay,a workmate of mine sold a van a few years ago that was so damp the wall had come away from the floor. The highest bidder travelled hundreds of miles after winning it and left as soon as he saw it, once re-listed it sold for £550 and became a chicken house.

Me, I'd run a mile before buying a caravan with damp.

Jeff

Well, it's already at £515. ........

I have £1,000 to spend. All I want is something bigger than a 2 berth, with a large double bed and a good shower (I will be spending a lot of time in it). Do you think I can find something? :(

You will find a non damp van for that money but it will be an old van. Dont believe the seller as to the easy nature of repairing this van. If from photos you can see the damp then the wooden spars/supports will be rotten and will therefore need replaced. You will need to go to a timber yard to get precicely milled timber. Also you will need to source wall board. Lastly, just because the seller has stated that there is only damp in these two areas, it may well have damp in other areas.

I did repair my first van to a satisfactory state - it is time consuming but not particularly difficult.

I would not get the van IMHO. Look for others at the price you can afford and do a damp chack on them, if they have been a cared for van then the person would not have let them get into a state of damp.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

I think you mean anything over 25% needs repairing

Depends how far over 25%. If you get into the 30-40% range then I wouldn't touch it.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Depends how far over 25%. If you get into the 30-40% range then I wouldn't touch it.

no problem at all in getting any damp area repaired - all you might need to do is to take the whole (side/end/front) panel off, take out the damp areas in the wooden structure, rebuild the wooden structure, leave it 3/4 weeks to ensure that all the wood is perfectly dry and then refit the panel ensuring, of course, that you seal all the joins to avoid the same issue in the future. but why anyone would want to buy a van that might need this, I don't understand!! :(

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

If it sells for under a grand i dont think you will go far wrong, might be worth asking who serviced it and if possible contact the dealer/service centre and ask if any problems were found. ....

Atom

If it sounds too good to be true-----it probably is !!!

[quote name='ivan leslie'

but why anyone would want to buy a van that might need this, I don't understand!! :(

Ivan,

As you might appreciate not everyone can afford to spend alot of money, dont want to take on finance or just fail to spot damp or structual problems. ..

If someone knowingly buys a damp van to do up I suppose you can compare it to other hobbies where people spend thousands on doing up cars / houses / bikes ----- they like a challenge and get satisfaction when its completed.

Ant ;)

Atom

If it sounds too good to be true-----it probably is !!!

but why anyone would want to buy a van that might need this, I don't understand!! :(

Ivan,

As you might appreciate not everyone can afford to spend alot of money, dont want to take on finance or just fail to spot damp or structual problems. ..

The reason I am even considering caravans with damp is cost. I will very soon need a caravan for me to stay away in, for work (seven days at a time). My budget is <£1,000, ideally as much less as possible!

I would love a shiney new caravan but I can't afford one!

Ivan,

The reason I am even considering caravans with damp is cost. I will very soon need a caravan for me to stay away in, for work (seven days at a time). My budget is <£1,000, ideally as much less as possible!

I would love a shiney new caravan but I can't afford one!

Hi Richard,

I'm suprised at some of the prices people put on their 'vans. Many are overpriced but some are underpriced so there are bargains about you just have to find them,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

[quote name='ivan leslie'

Ivan,

If someone knowingly buys a damp van to do up I suppose you can compare it to other hobbies where people spend thousands on doing up cars / houses / bikes ----- they like a challenge and get satisfaction when its completed.

Ant ;)

Hi Atom - agree with you but I understood the OP wanted the van to live in - if only for a very short period, perhaps no problem, but for a longer time it could be false economy. also I was pointing out that repairing a damp area can be a very long and expensive operation. One thing is for certain, if there is damp and its not attended to it won't get any better :(

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.