I Hate Electrics

touch

Some of you may rremember i posted a while ago about my van having a disco when i use indicator or brakes when sidelights or headlights are on.

Well last year it went away (with no involvement from me) and i have since changed car and the problems have re-surfaced. I have check the new car and that works fine on another van and trailer.

My question is i remember the black plugs lead the wire seemed to be tarnished could this lenght of wire to the fuse box at the front of the van be a problem when current is being sent down more than one wire, hence the hokey kokey with the lights.

I have checked all earths i can find changed a relay check all bulbs are working.

This just gets me so **$£$()*&^ annoyed as i wanted a year electric problem free touring.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

(ps could it be the fuse box?)

Edited by touch

Some of you may rremember i posted a while ago about my van having a disco when i use indicator or brakes when sidelights or headlights are on.

Well last year it went away (with no involvement from me) and i have since changed car and the problems have re-surfaced. I have check the new car and that works fine on another van and trailer.

My question is i remember the black plugs lead the wire seemed to be tarnished could this lenght of wire to the fuse box at the front of the van be a problem when current is being sent down more than one wire, hence the hokey kokey with the lights.

I have checked all earths i can find changed a relay check all bulbs are working.

This just gets me so **$£$()*&^ annoyed as i wanted a year electric problem free touring.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

(ps could it be the fuse box?)

I would suggest there are two wires touching somewhere, but where??

Try starting at the plug end and then work down the cable checking all connections.

i have checked all the lights and they all seem fine. The contacts are clean and the wires appear intact. I have checked around the fuse box at the front of the van and all seems fine there with the earth being fed into another set of leads (it is not connected into the fuse box).

I keep coming back to the wire in the cable run from the fuse box to the plug which goes into the car. At the fuse box end its how i would expect flex to appear, shiney bendy etc. At the blug end it feels week and brittle. My problems appeared to first surface when i had a corroded plug (bloody rain and no hitch cover, lesson learned since). The flex feels wrong and is discoulered. Could this be causing a shoddy earth connection or crossed wires up the cable. As said before at the fuse box it appears fine.

If anyone thinks this could be it im not adverse to removing the length of wire im just getting annoyed.

Thanks for the replies and any help is as always greatly appreciated.

Have you taken the black plug apart? If it is looking doubtful I would replace it.

had 2 new black plugs just in case (well last year it did). I opened the one on it at the minute and all appears fine except i dont like the wire.

If you have common tail / brake lights, double check the bulbs for a crossed fillament

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

just in case anyone wandering. ...i had all the cablea nd plugs checked for continuity and no problems shown.

After checking i hooked the car up and all was well. I disconnected tried 30 min later and it was all messed up again. ..so i took the plug out wiggled the pins and hey presto it works.

So im now gonna change the wire from the vans fuse box to the car and a new plug and hopefully i have problems no more.

Thanmks everyone for your help and i appreciate you taking the time to put up a post.