Damp Meters

Cheltenham Caravanner

I'm considering buying a Damp Meter. :unsure:

The price seems to vary from about £9 e. g. Maplins to £300+ (Protimeter)

Does anyone have experience of using one, particularly the cheaper ones?

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

I have one, £15 from B&Q, it's nothing fancy but all you want to know is "is there damp there" it does that.

It gives a different tone dependent on the moisture content, a bit of practice around the house and you soon get a good idea of what damp should sound like.

GPS

I had one which just emitted a tone, the pitch of which depended upon the level of dampness and to be honest I didn't find it accurate enough. I then bought a cheap one from Aldi which has a digital readout and I find this much better.

One of the problems with damp meters, the cheap ones at least, is that they have probes which have to be pushed into the wall and so they leave two small holes, the size of which depends upon the size of the probe. I modified mine to use two darning needles to keep the holes small.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

One of the problems with damp meters, the cheap ones at least, is that they have probes which have to be pushed into the wall and so they leave two small holes, the size of which depends upon the size of the probe. I modified mine to use two darning needles to keep the holes small.

poolebob

Good point (no pun) I just filed mine to needle points.

GPS

Like most things, you get what you pay for and damp meters are no exception.

I use two Protimeters, an ultrasonic for a quick check and th more traditional prong based type if the ultrasonic shows an unusual reading.

The damp you are looking for is in the wood behind the laminate of the wall boards so you need to penetrate the laminate to get to it.

They must also be calibrated to ensure you do not get spurious readings and account has to be taken of the type of wood, atmospheric conditions and temperature.

Ideally a van should be tested only when the inside and outside temperatures are stabilised, with all locker doors opened for at leat half an hour before attempting the test.

Like most things, you get what you pay for and damp meters are no exception.

I use two Protimeters, an ultrasonic for a quick check and th more traditional prong based type if the ultrasonic shows an unusual reading.

The damp you are looking for is in the wood behind the laminate of the wall boards so you need to penetrate the laminate to get to it.

They must also be calibrated to ensure you do not get spurious readings and account has to be taken of the type of wood, atmospheric conditions and temperature.

Ideally a van should be tested only when the inside and outside temperatures are stabilised, with all locker doors opened for at leat half an hour before attempting the test.

Brecon I also have a cheap ALDI meter which i bought to regularily check the van between services my thoughts on its use is as follows . It give a reading of 25 across my dry finger tip so if I get any reading at all around the van I will get a proper test done I use the same probe holes around the van each time. so far I have had no readings at all which were confirmed on the last service. Any advice you may have on the use of such a cheap unit would be most welcome

TD

It was after I was flooded out of my home by a water leak behind the washing machine, that I bought a meter from Maplins. To basically check to see how the water level was dropping down the walls as the 4 commercial de-humidifiers were on full belt for 6 weeks. It was calibrated to the building inspectors, who said I had to allow 15% on any of my readings for normal atmospheric conditions within a house in summer, and to allow 20% for winter months.

I read my caravan at least once a month and it has, even in this damp winter only ever hit 17% which is exceptable and nothing to worry about.

I bought on older Protimeter off e-Bay for around £40 inclusive - good kit. There's this one on now:

http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/PROTIMETER-TIMBERMAS. ..A1%7C240%3A1318

Mike

• 2 years later...

I k now it's been a while since this post was added to but I'm considering purchasing the Protimeter Surveymaster. ...any tips on achieving a better price than the usual £300 being advertised would be most welcome.

I k now it's been a while since this post was added to but I'm considering purchasing the Protimeter Surveymaster. ...any tips on achieving a better price than the usual £300 being advertised would be most welcome.

Hi

The service technician at my local dealers recommended me getting my own Protimeter after damp was discovered. As he said the cost of the meter was much less than cost of extensive damp repairs.

I monitored the 'van's damp readings after DIY repairs. I hired one several times from a local tool hire shop but then realised that the hire costs would soon equal the purchase price. I bought a Protimeter Mini (commonly used in the caravan trade) from a company on the internet a few years back. I googled it and found quite a lot of price variations. I bought from the cheapest supplier!!! As has already been said they do come up on ebay quite frequently but I decided to go for a new one with a 2 year guarantee.

I regularly check my current 'van between services. Damp was discovered at it's second annual service from new!!! I was able to monitor that the damp readings were dropping after the 'van was resealed under warranty.

Incidentally my son has been very grateful to borrow it and use it check the damp readings on his house wall after problems after Rentokill installed a chemical damp proof course.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

It helps perfectly. ....I take it the Mini has the bar graph kins of display that has led's next to the percentage? where as the other one has a ditigal read out etc? that is about as much as I know thus far.

I have a 6 yr old van `(first timer and just bought it), it has a 3 month warranty which is paltry i know but the dealer has been pretty good all round so far but for my own peace of mind and before the warranty runs out (6 weeks) I'd like to run my own damp test etc. ...I cant see any, the van appears well looked after and all seals seem intact and there is no sponginess. ...but for my own peace of mind I'd like to be able to check it. ..

I'll buy a new one, I just dont like the £400 ish price tag that comes with it. ...but I guess it will help in the end.

We use the Protimetre
I don't think you do. At over three feet long it's hardly the most portable. Maybe you use a Protimeter :rolleyes:

Sorry - couldn't resist it :D

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

We all get 'em :D

All the best,

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I'm considering buying a Damp Meter. unsure.gif

Funny, I'm sure my Maplins model was £20 something pounds;-)

After a year I haven't started using it seriously yet, one of the reasons being I don't have a template to record the readings. Can anyone help and email one or attach to post please?

After a year I haven't started using it seriously yet, one of the reasons being I don't have a template to record the readings. Can anyone help and email one or attach to post please?

Hi Limecc

This site seems a good one with some tips and a damp test diagram - the diagram enlarges if you click on it.

It helps perfectly. ....I take it the Mini has the bar graph kins of display that has led's next to the percentage? where as the other one has a ditigal read out etc? that is about as much as I know thus far.

I have a 6 yr old van `(first timer and just bought it), it has a 3 month warranty which is paltry i know but the dealer has been pretty good all round so far but for my own peace of mind and before the warranty runs out (6 weeks) I'd like to run my own damp test etc. ...I cant see any, the van appears well looked after and all seals seem intact and there is no sponginess. ...but for my own peace of mind I'd like to be able to check it. ..

I'll buy a new one, I just dont like the £400 ish price tag that comes with it. ...but I guess it will help in the end.

Hi Jorgon

There seems to companies selling the Protimeter mini for under £150, eg,

http://www. surveyexpress. co. uk/Home-Inspection/Moisture-Meters/Protimeter-Mini---Moisture-Meter/p-131-107-464/

The PM mini is as you say the one with the coloured scale and percentage readings. The coloured scale is very good: red: serious damp, orange-needs investigation, green-okay.

Regards

Tim

Whoops - sorry I left out the link for the damp test diagram - serves me right for being smart and trying to answer to posts at once!

Here's the link;

http://www. mjcc. co. uk/repairs. htm

Regards

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks