Advice From Terrano Owners

Lee E

Hi There

I am seriously looking at buying a 2001 Nissan Terrano 2. 7 TDI LWB for my wife. I have looked at it and taken it for a test drive. Everything seems fine and the clutch is sound. It only has 55000 miles on the clock. The used car dealer seems to be honest (though whats to know????). The interior is in very good nick, with a 'doggy' smell the only offputting thing. The only thing that I am wary of is the steering wheel is worn at the top and i have heard that this is a sign to look out for if the car has done much more miles than what it says on the clock. I did ask the dealer is the mileage counter had been 'round the clock' and he said it had not.

So the question i am asking from you Terrano driver is, did you notice that your steering wheel became worn by doing 55000 miles of driving?? The steering wheel seems to be of an older type (like you would have seen on a ford) which did seem to wear faster.

Thanks in Anticipation.

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Ask to see the old MOT certificates and service book to see if the dates and mileages add up.

I have just sent my 1998 Terrano II SE to auction as I got a very good deal on a new RAV4 without partex.

It had 118000 miles on the clock and had no excessive wear on any part except the leather cover on the gear knob had become unstitched.

Enjoy yourself, whatever you're doing

RAV4 Pegasus 534

Hi There

I am seriously looking at buying a 2001 Nissan Terrano 2. 7 TDI LWB for my wife. I have looked at it and taken it for a test drive. Everything seems fine and the clutch is sound. It only has 55000 miles on the clock. The used car dealer seems to be honest (though whats to know????). The interior is in very good nick, with a 'doggy' smell the only offputting thing. The only thing that I am wary of is the steering wheel is worn at the top and i have heard that this is a sign to look out for if the car has done much more miles than what it says on the clock. I did ask the dealer is the mileage counter had been 'round the clock' and he said it had not.

So the question i am asking from you Terrano driver is, did you notice that your steering wheel became worn by doing 55000 miles of driving?? The steering wheel seems to be of an older type (like you would have seen on a ford) which did seem to wear faster.

Thanks in Anticipation.

Lee

The Terrano LWB is quite a large, old fashioned, uneconomical car, even by 4x4 standards, I'd be tempted to go for something smaller. Kia Spotage or Hyundai Tuscan or Santa Fe. Are you planning to use it as a tow car?

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Terranos of that age, I have one, had problems with the milometers many of which were replaced under warrenty. Mine failed at 13,000 miles so there is a missing 13,000 miles on my clock.

Some might think its old fashioned but it has the weight and pulling power and at 28 mpg for a TDI auto solo I dont think that is too bad do you?

In terms of age and therefore cost it is going to be very good value for money, if you get the CAP recomended price, it is going to be reletively cheap compared to other recommendations on this thread for so called more modern vehicles. You need to burn a lot of fuel to get back the capital invested in a more modern less thirsty car.

We had a 1997 Ford Maverick up until recently (126,000 miles), which is the same car but with a different badge. We had no signs of wear on the steering wheel at all, and this was an old type one too. Inside ours had no signs of old age and it was a good workhorse, pulled our van no problem. It was also one of the most comfortable cars we've ever had We recently got rid of it for other reasons and have replaced it with Hyundai Tucson. Do miss being high up, but the only critiscm I had was the height of it (for putting bikes on) and it was a bit box like.

Edited by Janet

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

I did ask the dealer is the mileage counter had been 'round the clock' and he said it had not.

How would he know, my advice steer clear.

Terranos of that age, I have one, had problems with the milometers many of which were replaced under warrenty. Mine failed at 13,000 miles so there is a missing 13,000 miles on my clock.

Some might think its old fashioned but it has the weight and pulling power and at 28 mpg for a TDI auto solo I dont think that is too bad do you?

In terms of age and therefore cost it is going to be very good value for money, if you get the CAP recomended price, it is going to be reletively cheap compared to other recommendations on this thread for so called more modern vehicles. You need to burn a lot of fuel to get back the capital invested in a more modern less thirsty car.

I had a Terrano with a replaced speedo, but the paperwork supported this fact, so I was happy that the lower than average mileage wasn't clocking, a dealer handbook with appropriate recording of speedo replacement suited me.

As for steering wheel wear, my T2 when I PX'd it did have a shiny right hand upper part, and the gear knob was worn (80+k) but then I tended to rest my hand on the gear knob a lot, and consequently steering wheel wear was focused where my right hand gripped it. It wasn't present when bought, & worsened over the time I had it.

Be aware as well that 2001 T2's will either be subject to the "older vehicle" car tax rates when they are enforced, or the CO2 emissions related tax banding, meaning quite steep increases in the car tax in the future, when (or maybe if???) the govt finally implement it. I have a feeling March 2001 is the cut of, so an Xreg 2001 will be older vehicle rates, a post march y reg will be the higher rates. One of the driving reasons behind the T2 moving on was car tax/fuel costs.

IMHO it is a robust & likeable vehicle, nice & straightforward, not without niggles but considering the 2. 7 engine has been used for donkeys years in black cabs, that speaks volumes for reliability.

www. nissan4x4ownersclub. co. uk is a good source of model specific information.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Thanks for all the replies. I have had a chance to look at a few other Terrano's now and find that the steering wheel is wearing in the same spot at relatively low miles. I noticed the speedo when taking the car for a test drive that it read about 10 mph faster than i was actually going so it may be on its way out.

I must admit that I really liked it for the driving comfort and surprising agility for such a heavy car. It is going to be bought for many jobs but is really for 1. pulling the caravan and 2. as a work car for my wife, she works as a Rapid response nurse, involving her going to back of beyond and i wanted a 4x4 for her incase of the really bad weather we had.

I have checked the tax bands and the car even if it is registered after march 2001 will have a reduced tax due to its age. This April tax for it will be £210 according to the directgov website.

Kind REgards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

Our terrano has done 80k there is no sign of wear and tear, anywhere in the interior. The speedo is not accurate, I have tested mine against 2 different sat navs and it is out by 10%. Solo we get 31 mpg and towing, fully laden with sevsn of us in the car we get 28mpg. It isn't the quietest car, nor is it the most luxurious. However it is reliable and surprisisngly comfortable.

Regards
Ian

Had two - N reg from 1997-2000 and V reg from 2000-05. Got £6k for it in trade in for current vehicle. Both were excellent and cost me next to nothing in terms of service and repair. Not the most economical vehicles but not the worst - approx 27mpg solo and 24mpg towing. Bit link a brick on wheels aerodynamically, but as a towcar - faultless!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

The Terrano LWB is quite a large, old fashioned, uneconomical car, even by 4x4 standards. As others have said they don't have a reliable speedo also when they get old they get BIG BIG problems. As the saying goes been there had one and now grown up. There are other 4x4s that you should be looking at try going on to autotrader on line and look at Mercedes ml you may have avery pleasent surprise. I have had two of these terranos both now gone to the big scrap yard in the sky my 1st blew it's head whilst towing a caravan back from Italy 1/2 way up a mountain in Switzerland and the second one couldn't pull a fart out of a wet carrier bag and it's not like I didn't service them and look after them.

If you go ahead and buy one then may I reccomend www. nissan4x4ownersclub. co. uk for £10. 00 a year you can join the owners cluband get help and advice you will need.

The Terrano LWB is quite a large, old fashioned, uneconomical car, even by 4x4 standards. As others have said they don't have a reliable speedo also when they get old they get BIG BIG problems. As the saying goes been there had one and now grown up. There are other 4x4s that you should be looking at try going on to autotrader on line and look at Mercedes ml you may have avery pleasent surprise. I have had two of these terranos both now gone to the big scrap yard in the sky my 1st blew it's head whilst towing a caravan back from Italy 1/2 way up a mountain in Switzerland and the second one couldn't pull a fart out of a wet carrier bag and it's not like I didn't service them and look after them.

If you go ahead and buy one then may I reccomend www. nissan4x4ownersclub. co. uk for £10. 00 a year you can join the owners cluband get help and advice you will need.

The cost of Mercedes servicing is not going to be a pleasant surprise surely?

If they had updated the Terrano and not stoped selling it then my existing one would have been traded in for another. The X trail auto can't tow 1400 kgs and the pathfinders is just too big in my opinion, would agree the Mercs are nice what sort of costs are you talking about?

I can't agree that the T2 cant tow something out of a paper bag was it petrol? most people with the 2. 7TDI say the towing power is awesome.

Edited by Fenester

The Terrano is a bit rough around the edges, but it is a good towcar. Like I said before it tows our van, fully laden with 7 adults in the car no problem. It doesn't have the power or torque of a Range Rover or a Merc, but it still has enough. I wanted a Merc or a Discovery but I would have had to double my budget and that wasn't an option.

Regards
Ian

Thanks for all the replies. I have had a chance to look at a few other Terrano's now and find that the steering wheel is wearing in the same spot at relatively low miles. I noticed the speedo when taking the car for a test drive that it read about 10 mph faster than i was actually going so it may be on its way out.

I must admit that I really liked it for the driving comfort and surprising agility for such a heavy car. It is going to be bought for many jobs but is really for 1. pulling the caravan and 2. as a work car for my wife, she works as a Rapid response nurse, involving her going to back of beyond and i wanted a 4x4 for her incase of the really bad weather we had.

I have checked the tax bands and the car even if it is registered after march 2001 will have a reduced tax due to its age. This April tax for it will be £210 according to the directgov website.

Kind REgards

Lee

The speedo is just inaccurate, mine would be anything up to 12mph out, the discrepancy getting bigger the faster you went. Up to 60 it wasn't too bad, but worsened once you got over 70, an indicated 81mph was a true 70mph according to sat nav.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have just bought the Terrano today and am thoroughly pleased with it. I did ask to see the MOT cert/servicing etc and they all checked out.

The dealer did seem to be very good. When I test drove the car, the abs light came on. The dealer has had this fixed and given a 3 month warranty on the car. He knocked 300 of the price and did not try to rip me off. All in all I have got a lovely car with 54K on the clock for £2500.

I am happy.

Thanks once again to all who replied.

Regards

Lee

Iwww. nissan4x4ownersclub. co. uk is a good source of model specific information.

Thanks for this link Jonathan. I have now joined it and the joining fee has already paid for itself.

Kind Regards

Lee