Bailey Salesman

jan69c

I read with great interest, and I must say I am very surprised at just how many people are having trouble with their bailey caravans as a result of damp. We had a major problem with our Lunar Zenith, which needed a new roof. The problem took a long time to resolve, mostly because the dealer we bought the van from was a complete waste of DNA. When Lunar got involved it took about 3 months. We are now happy, we have a dry van.

Initially we were going to reject the van, I suppose if we were a bit more savvy we could have.

We went looking at other vans, our first choice would have been the Bailey Ranger 620-6. The salesman at our local dealer, won't mention the name but they are the biggest in UK, told us that there had only ever been one Bailey with a damp problem. Was he telling the truth?? !!!!

Regards
Ian

The salesman at our local dealer, wont mention the name but they are the biggest in UK, told us that there had only ever been one Bailey with a damp problem.
That's funny! :D

L200 Dual Cab Auto + 2010 Lunar Clubman SE (September 2009)

Hi Ian,

I don't think Bailey 'vans suffer, from water ingress, any more than other manufacturers products but to say it's only happened once is just plain wrong,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

hi Ian & Ian,

Interesting statement from the salesman. ..also a downright lie!, but as Ian D says "I don't think Bailey 'vans suffer, from water ingress, any more than other manufacturers products" and whatsmore I'd agree whole heartedly with that!

But whilst we're on the subject of water ingress. ...read your warranty! you'll note that all manufacturers state "we warrant our caravans against water ingress for a period of X years, subject to the caravan being examined on an anuall basis"....we all take that to mean "our vans dont leak" but actually nowhere in the warranty will it or does it state " we warrant that our product will not leak!" all that their statements say is that "if it does leak, subject to you having it checked anually, we'll put it right"

GeorgeB Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

When I said I was normal. .....maybe I exaggerated somewhat!

Skoda Superb MK3 190ps DSG 4X4 estate closely followed by a Swift Challenger 580 Alde

Sounds like salesman trying to get a sale at any price - the most dangerous sort there is!

I wouldn`t ever, at any price, hand over any of my hard earned to such an individual or anyone who employed him. I`m sure you can find a dealer that can perform better than this.

I have had half-a dozen vans over the last twenty years, every make has been a good van to buy, every make has been prone to leaks when you come to sell. Its just salesmans talk, treat them as idiots as a good percentage seem to be (don`t worry about feeling its unfair - they are trying to treat you as one), do your homework and go for the best deal you can get.

Hii angus,

I agree as the minute a salesman tells me a bare faced lie I wonder what else he's liable to lie about? I simply can't trust such people and I refuse to deal with them,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

If there is one thing I have learned from this forum, it is simply to ask around and do research before you buy. I have no doubt that a lot of salesmen, if not most will tell you what you want to hear just to get a sale.

Regards
Ian

Hi Ian,

I don't think Bailey 'vans suffer, from water ingress, any more than other manufacturers products but to say it's only happened once is just plain wrong,

Regards,

Ian.

The only people who KNOW the figures for claims of water ingress ( leaks) are the manufacturers and they won't tell. Surely therefore, it's impossible to claim that any one make suffers more, less or the same as another without access to those figures. I have never suffered damp in any of my nine vans over nearly forty years of caravanning. Either I have been very lucky or my chosen manufacturers produce leak proof (and claim free) products. I have no idea which applies but would never claim the latter because I just don't know. However, I would say that, after reading caravan forums for some years, I know which makes I would avoid.

The only people who KNOW the figures for claims of water ingress ( leaks) are the manufacturers and they won't tell. Surely therefore, it's impossible to claim that any one make suffers more, less or the same as another without access to those figures. I have never suffered damp in any of my nine vans over nearly forty years of caravanning. Either I have been very lucky or my chosen manufacturers produce leak proof (and claim free) products. I have no idea which applies but would never claim the latter because I just don't know. However, I would say that, after reading caravan forums for some years, I know which makes I would avoid.

Hi Beejay,

I agree that the companies are probably the only ones who know the true figures that's why I said ''I think'' as it's my opinion :D . I certainly don't see any evidence, on this Forum, that any one manufacturer's product is much worse than others,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Beejay - I really do think that you HAVE been very lucky!!!! in my 40'ish years, 4 out of the 5 vans I have had have been affected by damp. :mellow:

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

I think you're being a bit harsh here. First off, I doubt the person in question is employed by Bailey directly, so calling him a Bailey salesman is probably about as accurate as what he told you.

Second, given that you state you think most salesmen are liars anyway, why would you be so surpised one when tells you a lie?

Like you say, do your research, know your subject and deal with someone, whether that be an individual or a company, you feel you can trust.

Hi Beejay - I really do think that you HAVE been very lucky!!!! in my 40'ish years, 4 out of the 5 vans I have had have been affected by damp. :mellow:

Or have you been unlucky. We have owned caravans since the early 70's and also have never owned one which has been affected by damp.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

Hi Ivan,

I think I may have lost faith in the industry after the third case of damp :D,

Regards,

Ian.

I think you're being a bit harsh here. First off, I doubt the person in question is employed by Bailey directly, so calling him a Bailey salesman is probably about as accurate as what he told you.

Second, given that you state you think most salesmen are liars anyway, why would you be so surpised one when tells you a lie?

Like you say, do your research, know your subject and deal with someone, whether that be an individual or a company, you feel you can trust.

A person selling Bailey caravans is likely to be called a "Bailey salesman" by most people, regardless of the fact that they work for dealer XYZ.

A person selling Bailey caravans is likely to be called a "Bailey salesman" by most people, regardless of the fact that they work for dealer XYZ.

When I go to the sweetshop to buy a mars bar I don't purchase it from the mars salesman do I?

Edited by TbirdX

I do apologise, I should have called this thread Caravan Salesman. It is just that this particular salesman was trying to sell me a Bailey.

The van I was trying to reject at the time was a Lunar. The Caravan salesman that sold me that van, told me,wait for this.

"modern vans rarely come back for problems"

Edited by jan69c

Regards
Ian

Going off topic, when I bought my last two cars, both used car salesman said there were 2 sets of keys for the vehicle. Both lied, and both time I had to buy the spare keys. And they were not cheap. I do not trust sales staff of any sort, which really is quite sad.

Regards
Ian

I do apologise, I should have called this thread Caravan Salesman. It is just that this particular salesman was trying to sell me a Bailey.

The van I was trying to reject at the time was a Lunar. The Caravan salesman that sold me that van, told me,wait for this.

"modern vans rarely come back for problems"

Hi Ian,

This man should be on the stage as he's a comedian :D ! Seriously, such salesmen undermine decent companies and if I were the owner I would want to know about such 'tales'.

The salesman who sold us our present car was removed from office because he had lied to customers,

Regards,

Ian.

When I went to buy, well lease my last van the slimy git who sold me one of the aforesaid cars was working in the Fiat dealership selling vans ! He tried to sell me a van, I went elsewhere. His manager was then phoning my mobile to say he do do a better deal than who I gone to and why wasn't I interested. I just said I wasn't too keen on the sales staff. He had the cheek to call me a time wasting bar steward ! :lol: The Fiat dealer has gone bust.

Regards
Ian

Hi Ivan,

I think I may have lost faith in the industry after the third case of damp :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian

as you will guess, i tend to keep my vans for some years and i think that we probably accepted in the past that you would get damp at some time. biggest disappointment was with my current one when i certainly didn't think it would be a problem within 3 years or so. all i can say that Coachman sorted it out under warranty. it is currently in for service so i am waiting for the uptodate damp report - fingers and everything else crossed!!!

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Hi Ian

as you will guess, i tend to keep my vans for some years and i think that we probably accepted in the past that you would get damp at some time. biggest disappointment was with my current one when i certainly didn't think it would be a problem within 3 years or so. all i can say that Coachman sorted it out under warranty. it is currently in for service so i am waiting for the uptodate damp report - fingers and everything else crossed!!!

Hi Ivan,

I may receive flak for saying this, from others with bad experience, but I'm sure that your 'van will be sorted to your satisfaction,

Regards,

Ian.