Mondeo St Tdci 2.2

kev211n

Hi, does anybody know if this mondeo is any good for towing? 06 mondeo ST 2. 2 tdci, thanks

In the towing section in my handbook it says:- NOTE: Mondeo ST vehicles are not approved for trailer towing.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

In the towing section in my handbook it says:- NOTE: Mondeo ST vehicles are not approved for trailer towing.

That is for the petrol version, the TDCi is type approved and has towbars available.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

That is for the petrol version, the TDCi is type approved and has towbars available.

Bill is correct, the ST petrol version is not approved (or homologated) for towing

Brink, Bosal, Westfalia, PCT and Tow-Trust all make towbars for the Mondeo ST Tdci 2. 2

GPS

Just quoting the handbook for a 65 reg (type 3 ? ), it says "Mondeo ST vehicles" no mention of fuel types.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Just quoting the handbook for a 65 reg (type 3 ? ), it says "Mondeo ST vehicles" no mention of fuel types.

The information you provided is not questioned, the additional posts added more relevant information from other reliable sources to help the OP.

GPS

Mk3 Mondeo expert here. !!!! :lol:

The hanbook does say ST versions are not suitable for towing but this was printed way before the diesel ST came out.

Unfortunately Ford were very slow to update the handbook and it carried that information for quite a while after the ST TDCi came out.

The exhaust on the ST220 Petrol version prevents the towbar being fitted to the usuall mounting holes.

The exactly the same engine is fitted in the 3. 0V6 GhiaX/TitataniumX but these have a different exhaust that allows the Mondeo homologated towbars to be fitted.

exhaust.jpg

As for the ST-TDCi, with sports suspension, low profile tyres and masses of torque it will make an excellent stable towcar as long as it's matched correctly.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Also have a look here.

http://www. stdrivers. co. uk/forum/showforum. php?fid/75/

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Hummm now you me thinking,, must be someone out there towing with a TDCI ST !!!

Yes Kev,

I have been towing with an ST TDCI estate for 2 years now. Mine is fitted with a removable Witter towbar and 13 pin electrics.

It really does tow well. As has been said the sport suspension and the low profile (40) tyres make for a very stable outfit. My caravan means I am towing at around 93% and it works a treat.

The benefit of the estate is the self levelling rear suspension. I set my van up to have approx 65Kg nose weight and the suspension comes back to level within a few hundred yards.

Very much recommend the ST estate. 155bhp and 400Nm torque (Loads 'a Grunt)

Bob R

• 5 years later...

I know this is a really old thread, but I've just purchased a 2006 Ford Mondeo St TDCi Estate which I collect tomorrow, I've been looking into detachable tow-bars and I keep hitting roadblocks where manufactures say they will not fit to the TDCi ST Estate.

Annoyingly before buying the car I'd read loads of forums, including this one I decided that it was okay to get the ST Mondeo, but now I've finding my options are limited and every fitter wants to cut my bumper on the visible side. However the tow-bar they suggest all say not approved for ST use!

Luckily I live in Flintshire right on Witters doorstep so when I get the car I'm going to visit, however as I've still not collected the car I'm considering telling the dealer it's a no-go based on the fact I can't get a tow-bar fitted as I wish.

Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks, not clear what they mean by bumper type, but it does give my another place to try.

Any use?

http://www. stdrivers. co. uk/forum/topic/22923-mondeo-st-tdci-towbar/

Westfalia make one, detachable too.

http://westfalia-automotive. co. uk/ford_towbars_and_wiring_kits/ford-mondeo-estate/ford_towbar_307245600001_711. html

Click on the link and scroll to the bottom, and it will allow you to download the fitting instructins and on there you will be able to see what they have to take out.

Its only the st220 that can't have a towbar fitted

I use to have the ST TDCi hatchback and it was an absolute hoot to drive and pulled by then Coachman 560/6 a treat. It could almost pull the A-frame off !!

Plenty of info about towbars on the internet and recommendations and if I recall when I went on this forum that the best towbar for the estate was the Witter detachable.

Try this hyperlink

http://www. stdrivers. co. uk/forum/

http://www. stdrivers. co. uk/forum/forum/48-caravans-towing/

Search in this forum and you should find what you're looking for .

Edited by Smax Jonny

Land Rover Discovery Sport 180 SE Tech 2016 - Fuji White

Coachman Festival 640/6 - 2011

Thanks for your feedback, after more extensive research and speaking directly with every tow-bar manufacturer I can confirm the ONLY one that will fit is a Witter detachable that does not a visible cut to the bumper. Although others will fit the bumper would have to be butchered or it would have to be fixed tow-bar. Getting one fitted for £375 by a NTTA fitter with hidden 13 pin electrics in the next couple of weeks.

Sounds like a bargain

I thought so too, nearly £150 less than Witter fitting. ...considering I live literally two minutes from Witter's centre in Deeside I was surprised that it was so much cheaper for an independent to fit who has to travel to me. I had a couple of other prices around the same but no one as confidently said yes about fitting to my car and given he's a NTTA fitter I figured it was the safe option that saving a few more quid to get it fitted by a non-NTTA person. It's getting fitted on Tuesday afternoon, so we'll see how we get on with the promises made.

I too looked at buying a 2. 2 ST diesel estate 3 years ago, but as handbook says they are not type approved to towing and local dealer confirmed this, so I settled for a 2. 2 Titanium X (basically the same car!). I imagine insurance companies would need a letter from FORDS confirming that 2. 2 ST diesels are type approved, when informing them of your modification. I would not risk not telling them about these issues.

I too looked at buying a 2. 2 ST diesel estate 3 years ago, but as handbook says they are not type approved to towing and local dealer confirmed this, so I settled for a 2. 2 Titanium X (basically the same car!). I imagine insurance companies would need a letter from FORDS confirming that 2. 2 ST diesels are type approved, when informing them of your modification. I would not risk not telling them about these issues.

Ignore the handbook, it was written before theTDCi ST, the vin plate show gross train weight of 3750kg and v5 shows towing capacity of 1800kg so all good from a legal point of view.

My issues was that I did not want a visible cut to the bumper and I wanted it to be removable, Witter saved the day. If your after a fixed towbar you can take your pick from many, if however your do not want your bumper butchering and a bar on show Witter is the only way to go.

Edited by Jonny5H