Abbey Gts Vogue 416

youngjimmy22

I have just spent all day looking at caravans and narrowed it down to 3. A Abbey vogue gts 416 (98) £7200, swift challenger 530se (99) £7995 and an Elddis Typhoon gt (98) £7995

I have chosen to go with the Abbey as I prefered the looks and the thought behind the design eg the wet locker at the rear which goes into the wardrobe. It also has electric flush loo and blinds and a radio cassette.

If I get the loan approved for half of it I would like to go with it.

I would love to hear your views on them. Is there any teething problems I should look for or is there something that is better than all the rest?

It is the end bathroom 4 berth model.

Also can anyone tell me the MGW please as the van says 1300kg and the list the dealer gave me says 1269kg.

Cheers

I have just spent all day looking at caravans and narrowed it down to 3. A Abbey vogue gts 416 (98) £7200, swift challenger 530se (99) £7995 and an Elddis Typhoon gt (98) £7995

I have chosen to go with the Abbey as I prefered the looks and the thought behind the design eg the wet locker at the rear which goes into the wardrobe. It also has electric flush loo and blinds and a radio cassette.

If I get the loan approved for half of it I would like to go with it.

I would love to hear your views on them. Is there any teething problems I should look for or is there something that is better than all the rest?

It is the end bathroom 4 berth model.

Also can anyone tell me the MGW please as the van says 1300kg and the list the dealer gave me says 1269kg.

Cheers

13530[/snapback]

Hi, Firstly I would have placed this posting under Swift Caravans as they own Abbey.

Secondly, although one man's meat is another's poison, you have made a very wise choice. We have always had Abbey's until this year when we changed to a Bailey Pageant Mosell New Series 5. What a mistake, we had one trip out in it at Christmas/New Year and could not tollerate it and on our return we searched out and found a new 2004 Abbey GTS Vogue.

We changed back to an Abbey there and then and lost a lot of money. An expensive mistake but we will not make that mistake again. Abbey's reputation is first class, the problem is that sometimes until you have tried out something you never really know what it is like and that was the position that we were in.

Happy caravanning and enjoy yourselves

I have always loved Swifts and as you said Abbey is owned by swift. I think the vogue isa Challenger but with different upholstery as far as I can see and oh yeah 20kg lighter.

I wasnt too sure whether to put this thread under Swift or not. Maybe a Moderator would kindly move it for me?

We have always had Abbey's until this year when we changed to a Bailey Pageant Mosell New Series 5. What a mistake, we had one trip out in it at Christmas/New Year and could not tollerate it and on our return we searched out and found a new 2004 Abbey GTS Vogue.

13568[/snapback]

Interesting comment, what exactly was so awful about the Bailey?

Was it a quality or design issue? I ask this cos we have the Ranger 550/6 and are a great fan of Bailey, but often now I'm reading about disatisfaction with Bailey build and its getting me thinking.

Sorry to be controversial and negative - but I switched to Bailey after a bad experience with an Abbey. The dreaded damp effectively wrote off my 98 Spectrum after only 3 years. I agree the design was superb and it was a great caravan till the problems. The factory didn't want to know because I was second owner. Hopefullly mine was a rogue - just be sure to check the seam where the two panels which Swift use to make the side panels joins together - this was the root cause of all my damp problems.

Now Abbey use bonded side walls I would be happy to give them a second chance but 'she who must be obeyed ' refuses to let me!

PS my Abbey was serviced annually but the damp once in spread like wild fire - the nearside wall was destroyed in little more than six months ie in the time it took between detection and when the dealer could first fit it in to get started on the job - in the end it wasn't worth doing. :angry:

<The factory didn't want to know because I was second owner>

Now Swift actually state that the warranty is tranferable and there is a section at the back of the hand book for notifying Swift of the new owners! :rolleyes:

After emailing the police about my outfit and if it is legalthe response I got was "there is no legal limits on BRAKED trailers but if I exceed the maximum weight the vehicle manufacture recomends I could be done for "miss use of a motor vehicle""

So I have gone out and looked at a 1996 avondale pearle corfu anniversary edition and fell in love. It has everything I wanted except slatted beds which I didnt even notice until my Mum pointed it out to me today. What a fool I am but I am sure slats are easy enough to install and it is alot less than I was going to spend and also 100kg under the max weight my car can tow.