Largest Tourer

George & sharon

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you towing with a commercial vehicle or a normal familiy saloon/MPV/SUV?

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Is this thread a wind up? I am thinking of renting out my house and living in my caravan on my drive. Can I avoid paying council tax too?

Is it a full moon tonight, as it's not the first strange thread I have seen. .... :lol:

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Is this thread a wind up? I am thinking of renting out my house and living in my caravan on my drive. Can I avoid paying council tax too?

Is it a full moon tonight, as it's not the first strange thread I have seen. .... :lol:

No not a wind up mate had a few troubles lost my home and TRYING just for once to save myself from being fleeced by this government and the utility companies.

Deadly serious. I have looked into a static and you have to pay council tax so looking at this option now.

I am sorry to hear that you have lost your house, however, in one form or another we all get fleeced by the govt.

Yes we all want to save money, however. ..

Edited by Elephant

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

So buy biggest van you can tow and be a 28dayer on sites till you have enough to do what you want

I am presuming you are retired

Edited by Rita

I know that but if l can keep it to a minimum all the better. Not on here looking for sympathy just solutions from people who know what they are talking about.

Didn't say you were.

The problem is if you buy some of the larger tourers, depending on make of tourer and also, depending what you tow with, ie. van, you may not get onto some sites, hence the comment from the previous poster which was asking what you towed with.

Some sites specify certain conditions about combinations of rig, they will or won't allow, and maxium lengths/widths of caravan.

So you would need to find sites close to your job . . now i presume you have a job :-)

Have you thought of one of those huge MotorHomes where the sides push out Or a Demountable

There are some site that have what they call workers pitches

C&CC Taversal is one i know of bet there are others

Edited by Rita

So you would need to find sites close to your job . . now i presume you have a job :-)

Have you thought of one of those huge MotorHomes where the sides push out Or a Demountable

There are some site that have what they call workers pitches

C&CC Taversal is one i know of bet there are others

Have somewhere lined up already not ideal but free. Like l say just looking for solutions before the problems arise.

Didn't say you were.

The problem is if you buy some of the larger tourers, depending on make of tourer and also, depending what you tow with, ie. van, you may not get onto some sites, hence the comment from the previous poster which was asking what you towed with.

Some sites specify certain conditions about combinations of rig, they will or won't allow, and maxium lengths/widths of caravan.

Wasn't havong a pop mate honestly. I am parking it at a friends for free just dont want them jumping on me with any surprises.

Size etc is not an issue. I am just of the understanding it cant be a "static".

To answer the original question, there are two size restrictions - ordinary cars, MPVs, 4x4s can tow trailers up to 7m body length x 2. 3m width - goods vehicles with maximum plated weight of 3501kg upwards can tow trailers up to 12m body length x 2. 5m width - the larger size being used frequently by travellers and therefore banned from many touring sites.

To answer the original question, there are two size restrictions - ordinary cars, MPVs, 4x4s can tow trailers up to 7m body length x 2. 3m width - goods vehicles with maximum plated weight of 3501kg upwards can tow trailers up to 12m body length x 2. 5m width - the larger size being used frequently by travellers and therefore banned from many touring sites.

Why only 12m & not 13. 6m like normal lorries ?

Edited by colinicky

Wasn't havong a pop mate honestly. I am parking it at a friends for free just dont want them jumping on me with any surprises.

Size etc is not an issue. I am just of the understanding it cant be a "static".

Your friend might need to look at planning regulations (Bl****y Govt again! ! :angry::angry: ) in case he falls foul of the local council, also check any covenants that might apply to where he lives, All the best of luck anyway mate.

Cheers Mike R

Hi,

As far as I'm aware if you live in a 'van continually, on a site, for the whole year you are liable for council tax. Our neighbours have a 'van on a site in Stanhope and the site closes for one month so that they're not liable for the council tax. Presumably this would not apply if they moved to a different site for a while,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

A friend of mine rents out his house and lives in a motorhome, he tours around CC and C&CC sites all over the UK staying a few weeks in each. There are some issues on insurance without a bricks and motar address which he overcomes by using a relatives address for correspondance. He knows all the cheaper sites and plans ahead to cope with busy periods like bank holidays and school holiday periods.

It is interesting to ask ourselves is this friend of mine a "traveller" and if not what is the difference.

There does also seem to be issues with people working while staying on club sites again a bit of a oddity as in my view what you do away from the site during the day is irrelevant. If I do research daily at a library for a book what is the difference between that and turning up at a client daily as a contractor.

It all seems to revolve around the term residential use as opposed to leisure activity and relates to plannning approval for the site in question sites such as the Gatwick site are very strict on this last matter. There have been threads on this subject before but I think renewed discussion is quite useful?

Hi,

As far as I'm aware if you live in a 'van continually, on a site, for the whole year you are liable for council tax. Our neighbours have a 'van on a site in Stanhope and the site closes for one month so that they're not liable for the council tax. Presumably this would not apply if they moved to a different site for a while,

Regards,

Ian.

Properties Exempt from Council Tax Advice Guide

A caravan or boat which is used as a main residence but which is unoccupied. This exemption lasts for up to six months.

A holiday caravan or boat is exempt if it's on a property where council tax is paid.

GPS