Bailey Limousin Awning Tie Down Strap

Pommie5

Does anybody have the same caravan / awning length as myself and use a storm strap to secure the awning in high winds ?

I want to have one in my kit and I am unsure what to get as I dont know what my dimensions are going to be.

My awning is 1075 cm and my van has a 20ft 6inch internel length and is 25ft 8 inch overall length.

I see them advertised as suitable for awnings up to 6 mtrs or in some cases up to 7. 5mtrs

Some seem to give the length of the strap eg:- 30 mtrs.

I am thinking that the 7. 5 mtr may be just be ok

So not wanting to buy something too small, I was hoping to see if anybody had the Bailey Limousin

or a caravan of similar dimensions.

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

We have a DIY solution.

We use a pair of those "corkscrew" dog teathers that dave a D shaped handle.

Screw one in at each end of the awning, use an 50mm wide HGV ratchet strap rigged between the two, with a couple of sponges between the strap and the edge of the awning "eaves" and Robert is your relative!

You and adjust it for position & tension to your heart's content. The straps are available in lengths from 2 metres to 20 metres and a variety of colours (pink, anyone?)

Cheers

Keith

We have a DIY solution.

We use a pair of those "corkscrew" dog teathers that dave a D shaped handle.

Screw one in at each end of the awning, use an 50mm wide HGV ratchet strap rigged between the two, with a couple of sponges between the strap and the edge of the awning "eaves" and Robert is your relative!

You and adjust it for position & tension to your heart's content. The straps are available in lengths from 2 metres to 20 metres and a variety of colours (pink, anyone?)

Cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith

I actually have a pair of new ratchet straps somewhere in the house from when we had a boat so I know what you mean. I think they are too small but

I will have a look online to find longer ones.

If I cant find the purpose made awning ones, this may me the way forward.

Roy B

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

The awning on my Indy is 1020cm. I bought a Bradcot Classic, which I'm really pleased with, but at the time of purchase I enquired about a storm strap and was told that Bradcot don't recommend using them as they damage the awning. However, they talked about a ratchet type strap INSIDE the awning at either end, over the end pole and back down into the screw type fixings. They could supply them at inordinate cost. I declined - and have used my awning since in some pretty rough, windy weather without a storm strap - but its always been fine.

HTH

We have used a universal storm strap for a couple of years with our Bradcot Classic awning with no signs of damage,as long as you keep the protective rubber pads on the storm strap in the right places i can't see a problem,i seem to recall seeing a storm strap for sale somewhere especially for a bradcot awning,if the grey matter cuts in at some point and i remember where i'll let you know,

Brett

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

Thanks, Brett. Much appreciated.

Chris

Chris,

I remember i got some bits and bobs for our Bradcot from A1 awnings (01446 775029),he was a very knowledgeable chap on Bradcots,i can't seem to find there website but i assume there still about,that is where i'm sure i saw the tie down kit,

Brett

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

Chris,

I remember i got some bits and bobs for our Bradcot from A1 awnings (01446 775029),he was a very knowledgeable chap on Bradcots,i can't seem to find there website but i assume there still about,that is where i'm sure i saw the tie down kit,

Brett

Is this the one you mean grasmere59:-

A1 AwningsUnit 27 Llandow Trading Estate Llandow, Cowbridge, South Glamorgan CF71 7PB

p: 01446775029 f: 01446775366

Website - None Supplied

Email - None Supplied

Sorry, I couldn't find a website or email address using search engines.

HTH ;)

Edited by Tephi

The awning on my Indy is 1020cm. I bought a Bradcot Classic, which I'm really pleased with, but at the time of purchase I enquired about a storm strap and was told that Bradcot don't recommend using them as they damage the awning. However, they talked about a ratchet type strap INSIDE the awning at either end, over the end pole and back down into the screw type fixings. They could supply them at inordinate cost. I declined - and have used my awning since in some pretty rough, windy weather without a storm strap - but its always been fine.

HTH

Thanks for this info Chris.

Sent an email to Ventura and they have responded (very promptly) with the same advice. They do not advise using straps that go right over the awning.

They referred me to the storm strap in the Isabella accesories list which is also for the Ventura range.

http://www. waudbys. co. uk/products/details/2491. html

So I think am going to get a couple of these "just in case" storm straps. Hope I never have to use them.

Thanks for all the other feedback too.

Roy B

Roy & Rita

Our porch & full awnings have the clips for a storm strap, the handy thing with both awnings being Inaca is that the tie down kit just remains in the peg bag for whenever its needed, rather than different kits for different awnings.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.