Alde 3010 - Hot Water System?

There's lots said about the Alde Wet Water Heating System but I'd like to hear how effective heating the Hot Water is please?

The reason I ask. ..

we plan to do more rallies this year and as a family of four, with two teenage girls, hot showers is important.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Hi Paul

The Alde 3010 is very similar to the truma in operations as regard to the water content but slightly higher temps which allows the user to mix with more cold water ie less hot water Two of us can us the shower consecutively

To conserve hot water get a shower head with a on / off lever ie the Reich or the one Swift have been testing vis members of this forum ( manufacturer unknown ) The Swift lever shower head is easier to operate over the Reich, with wet soapy hands

Method

Mix the temp on the taps

Wet down the body

Tuen off the shower head ( this leaves the temp preset )

Soap up

Turn on the shower head ans rinse off the soap

Turn of the shower head

I also use two Aqua roll with a siphon tube between so that the water do's not run out

Hope this helps

Dave

There's lots said about the Alde Wet Water Heating System but I'd like to hear how effective heating the Hot Water is please?

The reason I ask. ..

we plan to do more rallies this year and as a family of four, with two teenage girls, hot showers is important.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

i dont have the alde system in my van. However from what others on here have said, the alde is very effective but does use an awful lot of gas. If you are intending to rally in the autumn, winter or spring then maybe you should factor this in to you calculations - not nice to run out of gas in the middle of winter.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Hi Paul

The Alde 3010 is very similar to the truma in operations as regard to the water content but slightly higher temps which allows the user to mix with more cold water ie less hot water Two of us can us the shower consecutively

To conserve hot water get a shower head with a on / off lever ie the Reich or the one Swift have been testing vis members of this forum ( manufacturer unknown ) The Swift lever shower head is easier to operate over the Reich, with wet soapy hands

Method

Mix the temp on the taps

Wet down the body

Soap up

Turn of the shower head

I also use two Aqua roll with a siphon tube between so that the water do's not run out

Hope this helps

Dave

I am interested in this lever shower head avaiable for the Swift. Do you know if it is interchageable between vans, ie could i fit it in my Bailey? if so where can i obtain one please?

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I am interested in this lever shower head avaiable for the Swift. Do you know if it is interchageable between vans, ie could i fit it in my Bailey? if so where can i obtain one please?

Phil.

Hi Phil

Some members tested the shower head for Kath At Swift group and reported back to her

I understand that the trigger/ lever shower heads may be fitted to the 2009 models as standard

Why not ask the question in the Swift section if the shower heads are now a standard fit to 2009 models and if available as an after market product via a Swift dealer (part number would also help )

The Reich is available from good dealers or via the net about £20

The Swift shower head is a standard thread so should interchange with your head the only problem may be the wall bracket angle

Dave

Hi Phil

Some members tested the shower head for Kath At Swift group and reported back to her

I understand that the trigger/ lever shower heads may be fitted to the 2009 models as standard

Why not ask the question in the Swift section if the shower heads are now a standard fit to 2009 models and if available as an after market product via a Swift dealer (part number would also help )

The Reich is available from good dealers or via the net about £20

The Swift shower head is a standard thread so should interchange with your head the only problem may be the wall bracket angle

Dave

Thanks Dave, i shall post the question as you suggest.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Hi Paul

Method

Mix the temp on the taps

Wet down the body

Soap up

Turn of the shower head

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave.

FYI - the Swift 2009 Owner manual state the follows for the respective devices. ..

Turma - 10 litres of water to 70c in ~35 mins

Alde - 12 litres of water to 40c in ~30 mins

If you say that two people can shower consecutively that good enough for me.

Which is a good job because I collect my new Swift Conqueror 645 at the end of March :-)

Thanks once again,

Paul

Thanks for the reply Dave.

FYI - the Swift 2009 Owner manual state the follows for the respective devices. ..

Turma - 10 litres of water to 70c in ~35 mins

Alde - 12 litres of water to 40c in ~30 mins

If you say that two people can shower consecutively that good enough for me.

Which is a good job because I collect my new Swift Conqueror 645 at the end of March :-)

Thanks once again,

Paul

Hi Paul

The time stated is for it to reach a temp 40 deg in 30 mins No full temp

The Alde will take about 45 mins on electric as it also heats up the water within the boiler ready for the central heating when the pump is turned on / program demand

If a quick heat up is require for domestic hot water and or central heating Gas and electric can be used at the same time

Some tips

there is a lot to learn so

Down load the manuals from Swift web site, Sargents electrical, Nord electrical fault finding, Alde ( programing the controller ) Thetford etc

The waiting time will soon past reading the info

Dave

The reason I ask. ..

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Paul

Something to consider, apart from the hot water supply, if you are rallying with the Alde heating system is your 12v battery capacity.

The Alde system uses a 12v pump to push the hot water round the heating sytem. I don't know how much current the pump takes or if it runs all the time, but make sure you have sufficient battery capacity. Perhaps a second 12v battery or a genny to top it up.

Unless anybody can confirm that their Alde system doesn't flatten the battery while rallying.

Bob R

Paul

Something to consider, apart from the hot water supply, if you are rallying with the Alde heating system is your 12v battery capacity.

The Alde system uses a 12v pump to push the hot water round the heating sytem. I don't know how much current the pump takes or if it runs all the time, but make sure you have sufficient battery capacity. Perhaps a second 12v battery or a genny to top it up.

Unless anybody can confirm that their Alde system doesn't flatten the battery while rallying.

Bob R

Thanks for the reply.

80w Solar Panel is my intention but its a good question for completeness to this Adle review.

Paul

Paul

Bob R

Hi Bob

Fair comment

The pump only runs on demand via the time clock / program so the run time of the pump is affected by

The preset temp for day /evening time ( the wife require setting of 24 c )

the preset temp for night time (the wife requires setting of 12 c )

External temp

Early spring and late autumn ( poss winter) with be more demanding on the battery

Basically less 12 volts / amps than the fan in the Truma room heater, its very small motor for the pump

In the 80;s we had a van with Primus gas central heating no pump worked on natural convection so the addition of a pump is a bonus and circulates the water a little faster

Dave

Thanks for the reply.

80w Solar Panel is my intention but its a good question for completeness to this Adle review.

Paul

I have just bought an 80W panel to replace a 18w panel which was next to useless. The 80W pushes 4. 5amps into the battery even in the winter sun. I got mine for £250 plus £15 for a controller from the dreaded Ebay.

Bob R

Paul

Bob R

Fear not the Alde 3010 is fine for rallying. The circulation pump only needs to operate when the central heating is needed so that's not going to be a major issue most of the year. Battery power is needed to work the combustion fan but both the circ' pump and fan together only require 1 amp. The combustion fan is not going to be on for long to heat the water as on Butane its pumping out 6. 4 kW and on Propane its still an impressive 5. 5 kW.

I feel the critical comment from a non Alde user that they use a lot of gas is ill informed. Any heater thumping out over 5. 5 kws is going to be using a fair bit of gas whilst its operating whoever made it. [about 0. 4 to 0. 46 kg/hour]

As the Alde system is very efficient its consumption of gas will not be any more than its competitors. If your going to heat a van in really cold ambeints your going to use a lot of gas whatever system you are using.

Edited by JTQ

Hi Bob

Fair comment

The pump only runs on demand via the time clock / program so the run time of the pump is affected by

The preset temp for day /evening time ( the wife require setting of 24 c )

the preset temp for night time (the wife requires setting of 12 c )

External temp

Early spring and late autumn ( poss winter) with be more demanding on the battery

Basically less 12 volts / amps than the fan in the Truma room heater, its very small motor for the pump

In the 80;s we had a van with Primus gas central heating no pump worked on natural convection so the addition of a pump is a bonus and circulates the water a little faster

Dave

Hi Dave,

Long time no "Speak".

My neighbour has an Alde system in a Bessacar van. That's what made me ask the question, although he never uses his van without being on an EHU.

I would be surprised if the Alde water pump uses less power than an Truma fan motor at low speed!!!!

Has anybody measured or know the current draw of these two items??

Bob R

I feel the critical comment from a non Alde user that they use a lot of gas is ill informed. Any heater thumping out over 5. 5 kws is going to be using a fair bit of gas whilst its operating whoever made it. [about 0. 4 to 0. 46 kg/hour]

Hi JTQ

I may well have been ill informed but was not critical of the system only stating what i had read. I was basing my response on previous threads here, from people who used the alde system. I did preface the comment that I did not have an alde system so that my opinion would not have carried as much weight with the OP.

Regards

Lee :)

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

Hi JTQ

I may well have been ill informed but was not critical of the system only stating what i had read. I was basing my response on previous threads here, from people who used the alde system. I did preface the comment that I did not have an alde system so that my opinion would not have carried as much weight with the OP.

Regards

. ..to discuss and later be corrected, is called improvement. Not to participate at all, is called wasteful.

Thank-you both for contributing.

Paul

Phil.

there was one of these on my 98 mistral gtx so they must be available

Hi JTQ

Regards

Lee,

Sorry if my wording was not best chosen; I am not a word-smith at the best of times.

The point you made is a commonly stated one but one that is rarely qualified by stating the associated facts.

I was trying to get over that these Alde heaters pumping out over twice the heating of Truma 1800/3000 series units often found in caravans, of course, use more gas when they are flat out.

However comparing like with like they consume no more, its just they can achieve more if needed and in doing so use more fuel.

Certainly if you only want a warm localised draft to undress by rather than warm the whole van, standing next to a Truma really will save in gas and in that context the comment is correct.

Also as the Alde timer can be set up to pre heat the van and come on before you rise so you quickly come to adopt that life style and again you pay for that luxury in gas.

Cheers John

Edited by JTQ

Nice to see such an informed bunch :) Hardly anything for me to add really.

The system is sometimes said to use a lot of gas, so that is a fare comment as Alde systems are often used 4 seasons. I occasionally hear it at shows and it depends both on what you call a lot of gas and if you are comparing it to alternative heating systems available. Like for like the Alde system is very good.

Power consumption.

The boiler will pull 1 amp max on start up for a few seconds while it gets the combustion fan going when on LPG. The Alde draws very little power. Manufactured in Sweden, it is designed to operate in stand alone environments for long periods with no maintenance. Its core market originally being Scandinavia.

Hot water only on LPG = 0. 3amps. For the period the boiler thermostat calls for more hot water.

Heating and Hot water on LPG = 0. 6amps. For the period that the room thermostat calls for the pump to operate

Efficiency.

Alde central heating is like that which is found in most modern homes. It is a more efficient method of heating than forced air systems that where fitted in the past. Transporting the heat around the caravan or motor home via fluid is a very efficient way of heating and can heat the largest twin axle front and back, evenly without any problem. In fact the 3010 heats holiday homes in Northern Norway and 70ft Canal Boats in the UK.

If you are on a site with hook up you can use the LPG and 230V at the same time, it will always prioritise the 230V only using the LPG if the temperature gets very low. And then switching back to 230V only, once it has topped up the heating.

Hot water.

Due to the boilers construction it will heat up hot water very quickly. Comparatively the performance is excellent. Again it is best to speak with people that have used both. But on LPG 10 minutes will give you a shower.

3010 in general

With reference to the system in general there are no better ambassadors for it than those that use it week in week out. I suggest having a word next time you are on a site with someone who has it.

In brief: 3010 central heating - Quiet, efficient both in terms of gas and power consumption, heats evenly throughout, only service is a change of the heating fluid after 2 or 3 years, reduced condensation, comfortable air quality, programmable, improved storage space due to only 1 appliance and no ducting, the hot pipes help prevent cold or damp spots throughout the van. Possibly an increase in second hand saleability.

The only down side is that it will not give you instant heat like you can get from a forced air system. But this can be over come with the timer. If you do not mind waiting an hour or so like at home then it is no problem.

I try and answer all questions asap when I see them but I do not always see them. If ever you have a question that you want answering same day or need a direct answer please call the office. Although there is an excellent body of knowledgeable here anyway :)

Leigh

Just edited to add - Ref the Swift shower head with trigger. I fitted one of these at home to my domestic shower hose to cut down on waste. It seemed a little strange for the first few uses and despite being incredibly simple to use caused some funny questions from visitors. Now I don't even notice it and wonder how I ever managed to stand wasting so much water while I soaped up :) Highly recommended in the Caravan and at home. I suspect the shower head will fit most shower hoses.

Edited by Alde UK

Thanks for that Leigh - our new van will have your system and was wondering how it worked BUT I have to say the guys at Airstream Europe think its the Bees Knees!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Ted- I'm sure the Airstream will meet every expectation and more. We had a fun time testing it in Sweden. I know one owner is spending the winter in the Alps using it as his base of operation for a season of Skiing.

Paul - :P

Claire - Running on a site with hook up is when you get the best from the unit in terms of economy. Thank you for the feedback :)

I found an article here that was written by Terry Owen from the Swift owners Club Link to thread It talks about power consumption of 0. 4 amps which has now changed but is otherwise an accurate piece.

Edited by Alde UK