Electrics Gone Wrong

bluefish_121

Can anyone throw any light on this one. ...........No pun intended

Power socket (black one), once plugged in, only gives me indicators and fog light. ..... No side lights and no brake lights.

I have checked the wiring, and have checked the connections, and have checked the fuses, and have checked the bulbs. ..............All OK

It all started when the F-I-L gave us a nice little trailer, this was in need of some new lights, soooooooooo, I bought, and fitted new lights, tested and all OK. So, all I had to do was shorten the cable. ........... which I did. ........wrongly, but just got a couple of wires mixed up. so, re-wired it and watched as it did a self test, with just the indicators working. Tested the caravan, and same, no lights!

HEEEEEELLLPPPPPP. ....... have I killed the relay or please, is there an easy and cheap alternative??

2005 Bailey Pageant Provence - Saab 9-3 1. 9 Tid

. ....

I have checked the wiring, and have checked the connections, and have checked the fuses, and have checked the bulbs. ..............All OK

. ......

Car or 'van?

Have you got another trailer you can try on your tow car? Can you try your trailer in another car? What kind of car is it? Is it wired via relays or directly from tails lights/dedicated socket?

Lunar Delta 520/2 towed by Omega 3. 0 Elite

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Feb 16 2009, 10:35 PM) 231924[/snapback]
Car or 'van?

Have you got another trailer you can try on your tow car? Can you try your trailer in another car? What kind of car is it? Is it wired via relays or directly from tails lights/dedicated socket?

I have checked the wiring to the trailer and it is spot on, I have no need to check the van, as it was working perfick last month. And both van and trailer have the same lights that are not working

Car is a Saab 9-3 wired through aftermarket relays.

. .....

And both van and trailer have the same lights that are not working

Car is a Saab 9-3 wired through aftermarket relays.

A problem with the car then. My car isn't wired via relays, so I can only guess you've fried a couple of relays supplying power for the side lights each side and a brake relay, unless of course they all share a common 12 volt supply on the car. :unsure:

Try the following;

Unplug the black 12N plug (trailer/caravan)

Withdraw the red 15 amp fuse which will be positioned close to the towing relay in the boot

Swith on ALL car lights, including reverse and fog

Switch them all OFF again

Wait for 10 secs. or so

Replace the fuse for the relay

You will hear the system being reset-it will probably give a couple of chirps, but don't be alarmed.

I can't guarantee this will solve your problem, but it's definitely worth a try.

Try the following;

Unplug the black 12N plug (trailer/caravan)

Withdraw the red 15 amp fuse which will be positioned close to the towing relay in the boot

Swith on ALL car lights, including reverse and fog

Switch them all OFF again

Wait for 10 secs. or so

Replace the fuse for the relay

You will hear the system being reset-it will probably give a couple of chirps, but don't be alarmed.

I can't guarantee this will solve your problem, but it's definitely worth a try.

Thanks for that Eddie, I will try when I get back home tonight. FYI, I have looked for an external fuse to the relays, but was unable to locate one. Think it may be a case of empty the entire boot, and follow the wires around.

I will let you know how it goes. ..........

ATB Bluefish_121

Thanks for that Eddie, I will try when I get back home tonight. FYI, I have looked for an external fuse to the relays, but was unable to locate one. Think it may be a case of empty the entire boot, and follow the wires around.

I will let you know how it goes. ..........

ATB Bluefish_121

OK, there was no 15 Amp, just the main 30 Amp, for the aux socket. So, I disconected anyway as there are some wires shared, turned on ALL lights, turned off ALL lights, waited 10 seconds, reconnected fuse, heard a satisfying couple of clicks and a beep, plugged the 12N back in, beep beep, click click, beep beep etc as it tested itself, with just the indicators working :(

I think I have fried the relay, and may have to invest in a new one :angry:

Thanks for the advice any way.

BF

OK, there was no 15 Amp, just the main 30 Amp, for the aux socket. So, I disconected anyway as there are some wires shared, turned on ALL lights, turned off ALL lights, waited 10 seconds, reconnected fuse, heard a satisfying couple of clicks and a beep, plugged the 12N back in, beep beep, click click, beep beep etc as it tested itself, with just the indicators working :(

Thanks for the advice any way.

BF

Sounds like you need a decent auto-spark. ;)

BF

Yep, it certainly looks that way. Any of these similar?;

http://shop. ebay. co. uk/sis/_W0QQ_kwZ7Q20wa. ..vanQ20electrics