Motor Mover Servicing

alexandjen

As the title really - I have a Powertouch manually engaged mover fitted to my single axle van and want to service it.

Can I do it myself and what can I do to it, if anything? TIA

As the title really - I have a Powertouch manually engaged mover fitted to my single axle van and want to service it.

when i take my van in for service I mention the mover and am told "unless it goes wrong, don't bother", so I don't!! :lol:

I think, apart from lubrication, they are a leave alone item,

Regards,

Ian.

BaileyRangerMan,

Motorcycle chain lube on the sliders. ..otherwise leave well alone!

I would check the push on cable connections at the motor. These are not too well protected and would benefit from a coat of silicone grease.

In the instructions for our Rhyno mover, it recommends using a "good quality detergent with a brush or sponge" to remove road salts, and to "use White Spray Grease on all the moving parts except the Rollers".

Seems pretty easy and not too much hard work.

When my mate gets a moment, we'll fit it and let you know what we think, but I suspect it will be along the lines of, "it does what it says on the tin". Looks like a substantial piece of kit.

Regards,

Jim.

I was advised by a Powrtouch fitter to use a reasonably stiff brush to clean the mover with water and then use white spray grease on the sliding portion of the mover.

Gerry

I've got a Reich, the outer bearings are just a plain bush on a shaft, and they are prone to picking up road debris which results in 'squeaky rollers'!!

The fix is simple enough, the motors/roller assemble can be removed relatively easily, just three 10mm nuts each side. With the motor/roller assembly dropped then the outer bearings can be easily lubed up. Shame they didn't fit a roller bearing.

I've got a Reich, the outer bearings are just a plain bush on a shaft, and they are prone to picking up road debris which results in 'squeaky rollers'!!

The fix is simple enough, the motors/roller assemble can be removed relatively easily, just three 10mm nuts each side. With the motor/roller assembly dropped then the outer bearings can be easily lubed up. Shame they didn't fit a roller bearing.

They are plastic shelled bearings and you will do much more harm than good by doing your so called "lubed up". This will hold grit particles like a grinding paste and damage the metal journals. By all means take them apart and clean them out but assemble them back dry of any grease/oil like products. The replacement plastic bearings are very cheap and easy to replace so worth holding a spare pair.

A roller bearing would not accommodate the misalignment and need good sealing. It would also force up the roller diameter to accommodate the much thicker shells and in increasing the roller diameter reduce the available torque.

Put the wrench on and engage the mover onto the tyres. This exposes the parts of the sliders that would be normally hidden. Grease the front and back slides at BOTH ends,(ie 4 places per drive unit) then retract drives from tyres. rock the wrench back and forth to move grease along the slides. Add a drop of grease to cam assembly, and where the hex shaft runs in the side plates, also where the spring runs on the shaft. It all helps the unit to move easier, and stops squeaks creaks etc.

If you are going to clean the motor terminals, make sure the isolator is OFF. Shorting the wires to earth will destroy the control box. I get a number of breakdowns every year that are no more that dirty terminals, so cleaning them, and spraying with wd40 or similar may help keep it reliable. HOWEVER, if unsure then please leave it alone, and call for assistance, (Cheaper than an emergency repair !!)

Cleaning is simply wash it down with a mild detergent/soap to wash away road dirt etc. Not sure how many people would actually get under and do that.

There are NO other serviceable parts.

Last but not least, DO NOT FORGET BATTERY TERMINALS ! again a number of faults every year are no more than dodgy battery connections, or flat batteries.

Dave

Now it's funny that you should ask that!

We have had our Carver mover since 2002 and have just experienced a failure of an 'outboard' bearing. We have used the van for 25,000 miles and used the mover a lot (and I do mean a lot as I am rubbish at reversing). It's worth noting that we use the van all year round so it picks up a lot of salt and grit during the winter.

I have just ordered the spare parts to remedy the problem.

Every year I to rub down the visible parts of the mover with a wire brush and re-paint with Ronseal no rust, then white grease the moving parts.

At every service, I ask the dealer to check the mover and pull off the rollers so that they can be re-greased at the motor end to facilitate easier removal the next time they need to be looked at.

I did have one problem where a spade connector (easily accessible) to the motor made a poor contact and stopped the mover on that side from working. A five minute clean up cured the problem.

A bit long winded I know but the above may help fellow caravaner's.

Yossa

They are plastic shelled bearings and you will do much more harm than good by doing your so called "lubed up". This will hold grit particles like a grinding paste and damage the metal journals. By all means take them apart and clean them out but assemble them back dry of any grease/oil like products. The replacement plastic bearings are very cheap and easy to replace so worth holding a spare pair.

A roller bearing would not accommodate the misalignment and need good sealing. It would also force up the roller diameter to accommodate the much thicker shells and in increasing the roller diameter reduce the available torque.

Thanks for your reply. I've had the motors off a couple of times and couldn't see any evidence of of plastic shelled bearing, just appeared to to be a 'plain (bronze type) metal bush, hence the application of 'lube'

Without my intervention these bearings were already holding grit particles hence the squeaking that caused me to act in the first place. Not the best design in the world because the outer bearing is right in line for all the debris thrown around by the road wheels. Do you know if the design has changed at all? My mover dates back to 2004 and has the grit rollers?

Edited by jetA1

Thanks for your reply. I've had the motors off a couple of times and couldn't see any evidence of of plastic shelled bearing, just appeared to to be a 'plain (bronze type) metal bush, hence the application of 'lube'

Without my intervention these bearings were already holding grit particles hence the squeaking that caused me to act in the first place. Not the best design in the world because the outer bearing is right in line for all the debris thrown around by the road wheels. Do you know if the design has changed at all? My mover dates back to 2004 and has the grit rollers?

Mine was a 2002. In early 2008 I found a lot of radial play on one side and on inspecting found the plastic shell was completely missing, metal on metal. These plastic shells are barely 1mm wall thickness. The other side was fine.

• 12 years later...

Yes just bought of at a Caravan dealer outside of Salisbury £32.50. The Caravan Club site were charging £36. Contacted Salisbury Calor and they charge £28 but did not have any.

I must be missing something.

What has buying calor gas got to do with a thread about motor movers, and one 12 years old at that!!

🤣🤣🤣

On 16/02/2009 at 07:57, GeorgeB said:

BaileyRangerMan,

Motorcycle chain lube on the sliders. ..otherwise leave well alone!

or Waxoyl.

Remove the cover - tap it off from behind if it is light grey, engage the motors, plaster on the lube, leave for 5 mins, disengage the motors, replace the cover. 

Simples.

Ours is now on its second caravan and still going strong although it has never had any servicing or repair. Hope I have'nt jinxed it.