Removing Fine Scratches On Windows

rizzo

A lot of people in the MG world use a product call Greygate (I think) for cleaning and polishing out scratches on the soft top plastic windows - I haven't used it myself BUT I am told the RAF use it on their Perspex (or whatever they are made of) canopies.

I am not sure where you get it but I will try and find out when I log into the MG BBS later. :P

A lot of people in the MG world use a product call Greygate (I think) for cleaning and polishing out scratches on the soft top plastic windows - I haven't used it myself BUT I am told the RAF use it on their Perspex (or whatever they are made of) canopies.

I am not sure where you get it but I will try and find out when I log into the MG BBS later. :P

13462[/snapback]

It is made by:-

Greygate Chemical Products Ltd

Brunel Way

Stephenson Industrial Estate

Coalville

Leics

LE67 3HF

United Kingdom

Telephone, fax and web

Tel: (01530) 839222

Fax: (01530) 837084

They do not seem to have a WWW but I ma sure a phone will tell you where you can buy it.

I also know that the MG specialsit Mike Satur sells it:-

We accept orders via email, fax 01709 890555, telephone 01709 890642, or by mail at

Mike Satur Automotive

Unit 3E Goldthorpe Industrial Estate, Goldthorpe,

South Yorkshire, S63 9BL, England

Tel 01709 890555, Fax 01709 890642

Web site www. mikesatur. co. uk

About £6. 00 for 100ml bottle. :rolleyes:

Fenwick's scratch remover. We had a trucks rear view mirror scrape one of our windows last year. Got some of Fenwick's scratch remover and after several light application no more scratches, You can get it from most caravan accessory shops.

Guest macSpot

For light surface scratches Brasso works. just a small amount, gently rubbed in then polished off with a clean cloth. Keep repeating until scratch disappears.

Macspot

I use Greygate available direct from Greygate Chemicals as posted above by Ted. The last lot that I bought was £10 for 2 bottles inclusive.

It should last you for years.

We used it on aircraft canopies going back 40 years and they still use it today. There must be something good about it. :)

Frank

For light surface scratches Brasso works. just a small amount, gently rubbed in then polished off with a clean cloth. Keep repeating until scratch disappears.

Macspot

13475[/snapback]

I'll second the use of Brasso, but if you're unsure about it's abrasive quality, you can always use the less abrasive version, Silvo. They both work well if used on a small area at a time. Don't use too much at a time and don't press too hard, let the polish do the work.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

13462[/snapback]

Hi Ted,

I just noticed you have an MGF. I have a British Racing Green one and my husband Dave has an MGB GT I think its 1968, in excellent condition, kept in the garage (his baby) We are also members of the MG owners club.

Just thought I'd say hello, as we are a friendly lot :)

Janice and Dave

Hi Ted,

I just noticed you have an MGF. I have a British Racing Green one  and my husband Dave has an MGB GT I think its 1968, in excellent condition, kept in the garage (his baby)  We are also members of the MG owners club.

Just thought I'd say hello, as we are a friendly lot :)

Janice and Dave

14142[/snapback]

Hi Janice

Yep The Green squirrel is BRG - had (no longer got) an MGB GT back in the seventies. MGOC & MGCC

Do you visit the MG BBS? http://www. mgcars. org. uk/index. html

Ted :)

Hi Janice

Yep The Green squirrel is BRG - had (no longer got) an MGB GT back in the seventies.   MGOC & MGCC

Do you visit the MG BBS? http://www. mgcars. org. uk/index. html

Ted :)

14144[/snapback]

Hi Ted

No we didn't know about it . Had a quick look, very interesting for Dave. He'll be on that site for hours <_< Should keep him quiet.

Thanks very much for that info ;)

Janice.

Hi Ted

No we didn't know about it . Had a quick look, very interesting for Dave. He'll be on that site for hours  <_<  Should keep him quiet.

Thanks very much for that info ;)

Janice.

14147[/snapback]

He can also have a look at my site http://www. tednewman. me. uk/ to see what I am up to MG wise that is - PS Sorry to bore non-MG types, I promise I will now shut up :unsure:

HOW DO YOU GET THE SCRATCHES??????

I have got the tube of Fenwicks stuff but not yet got round to using it but how do we get the ***** things in the first place?

I have used Fenwick's scratch remover and it worked just fine. I also used the same for removing stubborn bug marks when down in Spain (they get baked on). I'm not sure about using metal or alloy polish as the effects on the acrylic are unknown.

Yossa

Archived