Sign in to follow this  
phil1041

Long Outfits In Spain

I have spent ages Googleing and the only references that I can find to these stickers are the CC and this forum.

I haven't tried the tape measure yet, but adding the vehicle length to the caravan shipping length comes to 12. 025 meters. Do you think the Spanish police would be that picky?

I have drawn a blank too. We however are well over at 4798mm + 7950mm = 12. 748 m.

Edited by jennifernn

I have spent ages Googleing and the only references that I can find to these stickers are the CC and this forum.

I haven't tried the tape measure yet, but adding the vehicle length to the caravan shipping length comes to 12. 025 meters. Do you think the Spanish police would be that picky?

Probably yes. ... I have driven in Spain recently and they seem to be very rule orientated and disciplined; speed limits seem to be kept to etc. I saw trailers belng pulled in the Bilbao Santurzi docks as they left the ferry, obviously not for this but for trailer lighting boards and number plates by the look of what was going on.

Came across this on another web site:-

Whilst travelling through Spain on our way to Portugal, we were stopped by the Spanish police at the Burgos motorway tolls.

Having been stopped twice before when towing our Smart car on an A-frame, we now tow our Smart on a trailer. So we did not think that we had anything to worry about. Well how wrong can you be?

This time the copper got his tape measure out and measured our van plus trailer and decided that we were too long, just over 12 metres. 20 cms to be precise.

We should have had a "Long Vehicle" sign attached to the trailer.

Obviously we did not have one so it was 105 Euros fine on the spot

So be very careful before setting off to Spain if you are towing.

Make sure that you are under 12 metres or fix a "Long Vehicle" sign to your trailer!!!

By the way we hate the Spanish police!!

Going to make the back of your van look very odd! Trouble is at that price you won't want to take them off when you get back and pay again for another year. When you put them on how about taking a photo and pasting it on here so we can see what they look like. ?

Been away, just caught up. If these are stickers of commercial grade you will find it very difficult to remove them.

The CC should quote the appropriate regulation when giving this type of information. It seems that they are prepared to accept "quotes" from commercial organisations with vested interests. The information may be correct, but the U. K. / E. C. regulations regarding marker boards refer to trailers over 3500 kg so I still wonder if someone has mis-interpreted.

Any Spanish caravanners out there?

Been away, just caught up. If these are stickers of commercial grade you will find it very difficult to remove them.

The CC should quote the appropriate regulation when giving this type of information. It seems that they are prepared to accept "quotes" from commercial organisations with vested interests. The information may be correct, but the U. K. / E. C. regulations regarding marker boards refer to trailers over 3500 kg so I still wonder if someone has mis-interpreted.

Any Spanish caravanners out there?

The standard of information in the CC magazine seems to have gone down a lot in recent years, there is some lazy journalism going on.

This is a club magazine which should give comprehensive and well thought through advice not just cut and pasting of unsubstantiated snippets; remembering the Milenco mirror fiasco last year is an additional example.

I emailed Raymac:-

Re the following:-

If you are travelling to Spain and the total length of your car and caravan or motorhome is longer than 12 meters, then you will need to have 2 yellow (with a red outline) reflective stickers on the back of your vehicle. The dimensions of the stickers must be 25cm wide and 50cm long; they must be placed symmetrically each side at the back of the caravan / mortorhome between 50cm and 150cm off the ground. Supplied as a pair.
Can you please show where you got this information from
Many Thanks
Ted Newman

Received the following reply:-

We were approached by the Caravan Club, to make the boards to the specification shown. I have attached the article they published in the latest Caravan Club magazine. They have asked us to make them on their behalf however we are not aware of the legalities of them.
Please let me know if you would like to order a pair.
Kind Regards
Phoebe

Re the following:-

If you are travelling to Spain and the total length of your car and caravan or motorhome is longer than 12 meters, then you will need to have 2 yellow (with a red outline) reflective stickers on the back of your vehicle. The dimensions of the stickers must be 25cm wide and 50cm long; they must be placed symmetrically each side at the back of the caravan / mortorhome between 50cm and 150cm off the ground. Supplied as a pair.
Can you please show where you got this information from
Many Thanks
Ted Newman

We were approached by the Caravan Club, to make the boards to the specification shown. I have attached the article they published in the latest Caravan Club magazine. They have asked us to make them on their behalf however we are not aware of the legalities of them.
Kind Regards
Phoebe

What on earth is the CC doing promoting a commercial product in this way? If there is a requirement for marker boards they should stick to the facts not approach a company to supply a product which is available, commercially, from many sources.

As promised this is part of the reply from the Caravan Club :-

Hello Mr Birch

Thank you very much for your recent enquiry, the law comes from “Reglamento General de Vehiculos” Annex XI V6. The attached document (in Spanish) explains about the size and where to position the stickers. The full information can be found on the following website:

http://noticias. juridicas. com/base_datos/A. ...t4. html#anexo9 (about 2/3 of the way down the page)

I have copied and pasted the above Annex V6, below

This is the relavent section:-

V-6 VEHÍCULO LARGO

1. Indica que el vehículo o conjunto de vehículos, tiene una longitud superior a 12 metros.

2. Esta señal deberá estar colocada en la parte posterior del vehículo y centrada con respecto al eje del mismo. Esta placa podrá ser sustituida, cuando sea aconsejable para su mejor colocación, por dos de características análogas a la anterior, situadas simétricamente a ambos lados del eje del vehículo y tan cerca de sus bordes como sea posible. En todos los casos las placas se colocarán a una distancia del suelo entre 500 y 1. 500 milímetros.

And using Microsoft Word to translate it:-

V-6 LONG VEHICLE

1. It indicates that the vehicle or set of vehicles, has a length superior to 12 meters.

2. This signal will have to be placed in the later part of the vehicle and centered with respect to the axis of he himself. This plate could be replaced, when he is advisable for his better positioning, by two of analogous characteristics to the previous one, located symmetrically to both sides of the axis of the vehicle and so near its edges as it is possible. In all the cases the plates will be placed to a distance of the ground between 500 and 1,500 millimeters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 3 just goes on about the dimensions and colours of the stickers.

So far as I can see, it only applies to Spanish registered vehicles, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone will translate the entire contents of:-

http://noticias. juridicas. com/base_datos/A. ...t4. html#anexo9 (about 2/3 of the way down the page)

and let us know.

Having recently retired from the motor trade, I decided to try my old contacts and if anyone wants to buy the self adhesive marker boards, Diagraph Transport Services, who have branches in most large towns can supply them in pairs under part number: KLTB0045 at £9-15 plus VAT.

Having recently retired from the motor trade, I decided to try my old contacts and if anyone wants to buy the self adhesive marker boards, Diagraph Transport Services, who have branches in most large towns can supply them in pairs under part number: KLTB0045 at £9-15 plus VAT.

Thanks for all your work on this Terry, cheaper than the CC could find!............. http://www. digraph. co. uk/digraph_aboutus. html

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

I have just had a reply from the Caravan Club :-

Hello Mr Newman

Thank you very much for your recent enquiry, the law comes from "Reglamento General de Vehiculos" Annex XI V6. The attached document (in Spanish) explains about the size and where to position the stickers. The full information can be found on the following website:

http://noticias. juridicas. com/base_datos/A. ..d2822-1998. html - this is the main website which has a huge amount of information on it, to find the relevant section please see the link below

As you can see from the attached document they are very specific that the marker plate has to be a yellow centre surrounded by a red boarder with no chevrons or lettering.

I hope this has answered your questions.

However be aware that they have just heard from Spain that the signs must be made from aluminium and they have instruct RAYMAC no to sell the plastic ones.

I have just had a reply from the Caravan Club :-

Hello Mr Newman

Thank you very much for your recent enquiry, the law comes from "Reglamento General de Vehiculos" Annex XI V6. The attached document (in Spanish) explains about the size and where to position the stickers. The full information can be found on the following website:

http://noticias. juridicas. com/base_datos/A. ..d2822-1998. html - this is the main website which has a huge amount of information on it, to find the relevant section please see the link below

As you can see from the attached document they are very specific that the marker plate has to be a yellow centre surrounded by a red boarder with no chevrons or lettering.

I hope this has answered your questions

I too have had another reply from the Caravan Club the reply is as follows:-

Hello again Mr Birch

After numerous e-mails between myself and the Real Automóvil Club de España it would appear that the marker plates have to be aluminium and stickers are not acceptable. The RACE have confirmed that this rule does apply to foreign registered vehicles. We will update the situation in the next Club magazine.

Best regards

Hazel Havell

If they have to be aluminium as above, I cannot see many UK caravanners fixing them on the rear panel of their 'vans, the only thing going for aluminium marker boards is that they are cheaper still than the self adhesive ones.

If this is really the situation then we have just decided NOT to go to Spain. The area on the van where the markers would have to go is slightly curved, so fixing aluminium plates would be tricky.

France, Germany, Austria and Italy for us instead.

Edited by jennifernn

If this is really the situation then we have just decided NOT to go to Spain.

Austria and Italy for us instead.

The alu. type might not be such a bad idea. If they can be fitted/removed using double sided tape, it means they could be removed between road journeys.

Kind Regards

Phoebe

Who will foot the bill on this fruitless exercise??????

The Members????? :angry: or will it come out of the wages of the one who made the decision without having the facts? :o

these regulations appear to date from 1998, so not exactly new! or have I missed something?

If this is really the situation then we have just decided NOT to go to Spain. The area on the van where the markers would have to go is slightly curved, so fixing aluminium plates would be tricky.

France, Germany, Austria and Italy for us instead.

Bit of an own goal for the Spanish then. ...

According to the e-mail I received the CC are seeking clarification from Madrid and will ensure that the results are in the CC magazine.

The other possibility is to get a Spanish Friend to translate the documents for us - unfortunately I don't have a Spanish friend B)

The requirement for marker boards applies in the U. K. but only to trailers exceeding 3500 kg MAM i. e. goods/commercial trailers. Have the Spanish now introduced it for every outfit exceeding 12 metres? If so, it is customary to exclude foreign vehicles on temporary visits from regulations applicable to residents. However, marker boards are required, by all motorists, in Italy for rear overhanging loads so there are precedents.

If you do need to fit boards why not use sections of Velcro/touch tape to mount them?

According to the e-mail I received the CC are seeking clarification from Madrid and will ensure that the results are in the CC magazine.

The other possibility is to get a Spanish Friend to translate the documents for us - unfortunately I don't have a Spanish friend B)

I wrote to the British Embassy in Madrid 4 days ago, but so far they have not even acknowedged it. I also wrote to the Spanish Embassy in London yesterday enclosing the relavent link to the article.

If you want a laugh, copy and paste the article into Word and use the translation facility.

Well i have certainly started something here havn't I?

Let me get this straight, the Spanish are telling us to fasten two metal (Aluminium) plates to the rear of our vans whilst we are in their country??

Can you imagine any Spaniard doing this if we insisted on the same (not that you see many Spanish outfits over here).

Totally ludicrous in my opinion, however, if i do decide to go there next winter i suppose i will have to comply or it will cost me whatever the local Police think is appropriate in euros as i don't think they have a set scale for traffic misdemeanors as we do, i could be wrong of course! It has been known.

Phil.

The problem with these 'fixings' are that each sign will weigh around 4lb/2Kilo.

Rather heavy for velcro/suckers.

The problem with these 'fixings' are that each sign will weigh around 4lb/2Kilo.

Rather heavy for velcro/suckers.

Around 500gm each plate, I've fitted a few. Velcro will hold that O. K. I've used it for much heavier items as I rarely screw anything to the van but use commercial grade double sided tape or genuine velcro.

Guest iancjc

Well I'm off to Spain in the summer and I for one won't be fixing anything to the back of our van.

If stopped I'll just shrug my shoulders and open my wallet.