Vw Touran Tdi 140bhp 2.0??

plug747

Hi all,

My towing outfit isn't great at the moment. A Sterling Europa 500 (2004) MTPLM 1331kg hooked to a Renault Laguna II Estate 1. 9DCi 120 BHP, 1385Kg.

I am seriously interested in the VW Touran 2. 0 TDi 140BHP kerbweight 1561Kg as it seems to have the power, torgue and weight I need along with a whole host of other benefits - occasional 7 seats, German build quality, lasting residuals etc etc yet without being a full MPV "minibus".

Does anyone have any experience towing with the Touran - if so do they sit down much when hooked up (a real problem I had with the soft Renault suspension). and what are they like generally.

I test drove one today and loved it as a car - but as we all know they behave differently when hooked up!...

Any advice gratefully received. ..

Paul

I too fancy this vehicle - it's a shame they don't do a syncro 4 wheel drive version yet. Now that would be ideal!

13486[/snapback]

Solo there is no competition, no other similar vehicle comes close to the C-Max dynamically and the 2. 0 TDCi engine is an absolute stonker. Apparently according to one of the Caravanning magazines (I have most of them in my 'reading room' just next to the toilet roll holder) it tows well. Mind you though if the VW has a higher kerb weight then you could tow a heavier van.

I'm a bit biased being a Ford employee though LOL.

Si.

I havn't drove either but on looks and have to say badge (residuals) etc

I'd choose the VW and chip it :)

Scott

13576[/snapback]

My dad has a manual 140hp Touran and it tows like a dream. Doesn't sag at the rear even with maximum noseweight (80kg I think), and if you have driven it solo you will know how it pulls like a train. He tows am Eccles Diamond about 1350kg laden. Has been to Holland and Spain with it so far and gets 28mpg at steady 65-70mph towing.

Residuals say buy the VW !

Hi all,

I have a Touran 105PS Manual and tow an Elddis 400/4 wisp which is a lot lighter than your van at about 950Kg Max. Towing with this combo is an absolute dream, especially with the cruise control. I get an average of 37mpg whilst towing at 60mph (49mpg solo at 75ish). I have a noseweight of 75Kg (max quoted for the car) and it stays almost totally level. I do not have any stabilser and have never had any stability or snaking problems.

I used to have a Nissan Terrano 2. 7 LWB and (i think) due to the shorter rear overhang of the VW, the VW is more stable and pitches less than the Terrano over bumps.

Power wise the 140 must be pretty awesome as the 105 pulls the van easily. I rarely need to change out of 6th on motorway hils. The VW also feels faster towing than the Terrano did which surprised me.

Solo the Touran handles really well and is quite firmly sprung. Quality is V good as you would expect from a VW although the passenger door doesnt always open first time from the keyfob (Very common on all Golf Mk 5s and Tourans apparently)

The C max may be good but doesnt have 7 seats which fold flat into the floor when not in use, leaving a very big boot. Be warned, If you go for the 7 seater there is no spare wheel, only a bottle of sealand and a compressor.

It does look a bit bland but I would thoroughly recommend one.

Cheers

Paul

Guys. .

Thanks for the tips - I'm almost sold on the idea of a Touran now - just need to find a good 2. 0 Tdi Sport (140) at sensible money. ..

Seems like it'll offer me and the family everything we're looking for. ..

Paul

• 1 year later...

Guys. .

Thanks for the tips - I'm almost sold on the idea of a Touran now - just need to find a good 2. 0 Tdi Sport (140) at sensible money. ..

Seems like it'll offer me and the family everything we're looking for. ..

Paul

Hi Paul,

Did you get yourself sorted with a Touran ? I have the 2. 0 TDI as a company car and can tell you that it knocks spots off the C-Max in every department. Know where I'd be spending m own money when it's contract comes up with the lease company !!

Best regards

Andy

although the passenger door doesnt always open first time from the keyfob (Very common on all Golf Mk 5s and Tourans apparently)

Cheers

Paul

It is designed to operate like this. One click opens only the drivers door and 2 clicks open all other doors. This is to prevent the low life from opening the passenger door and taking handbags or briefcases when driving around dodgy city areas with just the driver in as doors remain locked. Many other vehicles are like this and it is very common in North America.

Brian

It is designed to operate like this. One click opens only the drivers door and 2 clicks open all other doors. This is to prevent the low life from opening the passenger door and taking handbags or briefcases when driving around dodgy city areas with just the driver in as doors remain locked. Many other vehicles are like this and it is very common in North America.

Brian

Brian,

This function can usually be programmed into the remote by the owner,usually by holding lock and unlock buttons together for a few seconds. Each time this is done the system changes from drivers door to all doors unlock on first push.

Other options which need dealer computer or VAG Com include all doors locked at 7mph and all doors unlocked when the ignition key is removed. All part of the 'convenience' system.

Isn't technology wonderful!

Best,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for that bit of information. Useful to know. My daughter has a Touran with the 140bhp diesel and it goes very well. I think the two click doors are a good security feature, especially if driving alone, and having to make two clicks is no hardship - once you understand this is how it works and is a not a fault. My wifes Corsa works the same way.

Think the 7mph locking comes from USA, where all cars there seem to do it, so it is probably simpler for VW to build it in on all cars and activate it when required to suit local regulations.

Brian