It's A Dogs Life

4x4mo

Can anybody give me a reasonable excuse as to why some sites wish to make so much money out of dog owners. I and my friends may not run as the norm as per dog owners ie we do all have more than two dogs,but this is because I am a judge/instructor/competitor in the world of dog agility. We often after a weekend show like to travel on to a site to unwind for the rest of the week,the problem is A find a site to take so many {TRAINED} dogs and B a site that does not want a bank loan to pay for the dogs. Lets face it what services does a dog use,and how many are actualy supplied,some do not even have a dog walking area. I have for the last few years kept a list of dog friendly sites for fellow competitors,would appreciate comments from likewise vanners.

Can anybody give me a reasonable excuse as to why some sites wish to make so much money out of dog owners. I and my friends may not run as the norm as per dog owners ie we do all have more than two dogs,but this is because I am a judge/instructor/competitor in the world of dog agility. We often after a weekend show like to travel on to a site to unwind for the rest of the week,the problem is A find a site to take so many {TRAINED} dogs and B a site that does not want  a bank loan to pay for the dogs. Lets face it what services does a dog use,and how many are actualy supplied,some do not even have a dog walking area. I have for the last few years kept a list of dog friendly sites for fellow competitors,would appreciate comments from likewise vanners.

13343[/snapback]

Unfortunately, some doggie owners don't control their dogs - but then the same could be said about some parents and their kids.

Sorry - you just have to suffer because of the mindless few who foul it up for the majority.

ATB

You can not reason with an unreasonable person.

We refuse to use sites that charge for Dogs and Awnings, as you say the Dogs do not use any Facilities, and why pay for the awning as an extra when you have already paid for the Pitch. some Sites say they charge for Dogs because they are charged to have the Dog Bins emptied,as this is not allowed to go in with the normal waste. ????????

Truth be known it is a Rip Off. :o If a site mentions a charge for Dogs, I always ask what my Dog gets for this charge, the thing is they don't want Dog's on site, why don't they just No Dogs. £££££££££££.

Shiba.

Im the same as you on this one Shiba, apart from our main holiday we always take our two english setters with us and never use a site that charges for dogs, thats one of the reasons that we use CL sites so much.

The most expensive site ive found was down in Devon (wont say which one) and they wanted £1. 50 per dog per night!!! :angry:

Oscar

Not being a dog owner, and having nothing against them whatsoever, I think that the charges are to discourage people from taking dogs altogether. If this is the case, as previously stated why not just say no dogs. If not, then it's just a money making racket - obviously a dog uses non of the facilities unless a dog-walk is provided and poop bins.

And as stated a minority of dog owners do not clear up or control their dogs, but as many have stated, some children are not controlled either!

Can anybody give me a reasonable excuse as to why some sites wish to make so much money out of dog owners. I and my friends may not run as the norm as per dog owners ie we do all have more than two dogs,but this is because I am a judge/instructor/competitor in the world of dog agility. We often after a weekend show like to travel on to a site to unwind for the rest of the week,the problem is A find a site to take so many {TRAINED} dogs and B a site that does not want  a bank loan to pay for the dogs. Lets face it what services does a dog use,and how many are actualy supplied,some do not even have a dog walking area. I have for the last few years kept a list of dog friendly sites for fellow competitors,would appreciate comments from likewise vanners.

13343[/snapback]

It is nothing but a money spinner. Sometimes they say it is because they provide doggy bin's which have to be paid for, and also the emptying of them and providing bin liners.

But in reality, some sites have dog walks where very few dog owners ever bother clearing up, that's why their owner's creep out either very early morning or late evening when its dark and they think they cannot be seen and other site owners say to take dog's off site but still make a charge, rip off time.

Hey ho and off we go time, let's pretend we don't know what our dog's are doing, lessen one, when dog on lead stops, don't look back seems the order of the day. I see it so often. The owner's of dog's are often more of an 'animal' than the animal themselves!

I've been on a site nr Woolacombe where you could have a van and awning with up to six people with full use of leisure facilities for under £12 a night off season but a fiver a night for my Dog :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Not being a dog owner, and having nothing against them whatsoever, I think that the charges are to discourage people from taking dogs altogether.   If this is the case, as previously stated why not just say no dogs.   If not, then it's just a money making racket - obviously a dog uses non of the facilities unless a dog-walk is provided and poop bins.  

13359[/snapback]

Bang on there I think, its possibly seen as anti social for a site to say no dogs so charging for them is a subtle way of saying no thanks. Personally, given the choice of a dog site or a non dog site, I'd go for the latter every time as there are always the inconsiderate owners that make life a misery for everyone else.

I would go for a non dog site too, I'm pretty fed up with dogs fouling the place up and yapping all night.

Yossa

it is true that some councils charge extra for taking away dog waste and don't allow it to be mixed with household waste. I help to run an annual dog show in Gravesend and the trouble we have trying to make people separate their waste, we put different colour bags out with loads of signs saying 'green bags for normal rubbish and black bags for dog poo' but some people still can't be bothered to put it in the right bags and we have to sift through it after the show ends which is disgusting.

Having said that, I wouldn't stay on a site that charged extra for dogs unless they had very special facilities for dogs. There's a forum thread in Practical Caravan this month on the same topic.

Sharon

it is true that some councils charge extra for taking away dog waste and don't allow it to be mixed with household waste.   I help to run an annual dog show in Gravesend and the trouble we have trying to make people separate their waste, we put different colour bags out with loads of signs saying 'green bags for normal rubbish and black bags for dog poo' but some people still can't be bothered to put it in the right bags and we have to sift through it after the show ends which is disgusting.

Having said that, I wouldn't stay on a site that charged extra for dogs unless they had very special facilities for dogs.   There's a forum thread in Practical Caravan this month on the same topic.

Sharon

13370[/snapback]

thanks for all your replys. I think at the moment the dog lovers are on the winning side,thats where I want to be. When it comes to hooking my van up the dogs come to. As I said Ispend a lot of my time at competitions,on average over 1000,yes ONE THOUSAND dogs on site and we all clean up,it is just a minority that get us a bad name. Shame that there are some caravaners out there that do exactly the same.

Personally I think it perfectly reasonable that a campsite makes a charge for dogs if they can prove that in the construction and maintainence of the site they incur extra costs, I have in mind providing dog walks, providing special bins and usually plastic bags. Now if they provide none of that then I suspect they make a charge because they wish to discourage owners bringing their dogs. As far as not using a site that charges for dogs, surely you have to take an overall view. If the site down the road charges £15 a night but does not have a separate charge for dogs but another site charges £10 a night plus 50p for each dog its still cheaper to use the site that charges for dogs. I don't see the logic.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I think the logic is David, all down to as you say what facilities there are for dogs. I would not be happy paying £10 a night plus 50p per dog per night where as people in the next van only payed £10 per night, and i got to exercise my dogs off site, so im paying the site owners £1 a night just for the privilege of keeping my dogs in my van

Id rather use a CL site anyway there quieter and cheaper,and a lot of them dont nit pick about what you got ie 50p for this and £1 for that and if the suns shining its an extra 25p per person

Oscar

After 25 years + of training dogs I feel that it it only the site owners way of making money to charge for dogs. Just as they charge for awnings. Most dog owners are 'responsible' and look after their dogs whilst on site so why should they be charged extra. Just as a pitch is a pitch so why should extra be charged if you wish to add an awning to your van.

I travel with two dogs - and have never objected to paying extra for sites to have my dogs with me - usually it is 50p to £1 extra per night - and being a responsible dog owner I carry my own set of 'pooper scoopers', a supply of bags specially for cleaning up after them, plus I also erect a doggie proof windbreak. and make sure my dogs do not disturb anyone on the site - they sleep in the van in their own cages - and I am very mindful not to upset anyone.

But I am still happy to pay for my dogs - I dont see it as an inconvenience and I certainly dont begrudge the cost of it - I have stayed on some super sites and my dogs have, to my knowledge, never caused anyone any problems.

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

It's totally up to the site owner how he/she/they structure their charges. It's their property, if they want to discourage dog owners they can.

It's like adult only sites, dog-free sites are wanted by some caravanners. There are enough sites around that we can all get what we like.

When you find sites which welcome dogs, reward those sites by visiting them again.

I quite like other peoples' dogs but I can't tolerate their "poo".

Dog owners ALL claim to be in the 99% who clear up after their dogs but the reality is that only about 10% actually do clear it up!

I travel with two dogs - . ..............

13420[/snapback]

I remember one motor-home I saw with 8 (yes 8) beagles in it. The owner just opened the door, let them wander and then got them back in. When the site owner went to have a word, all he got was abuse. Needless to say the motor-home got sent packing and left within the hour and rightly so.

Hi all, just got to add to some of the comments here, as said before many people when asked say they clear up after their dogs but in truth not many do. many of the sites i use charge for dogs and many of them supply pooper scoopers. Its my choice to use these sites and as said before there are enough dog free sites to suit all. One thing i will say about the sites that allow dogs charged for or not is that they always state, dogs must be kept on a lead at all times but again many dont think this rule applies to them, you may have the friendliest dog in the world but nobody wants a dog running up to them or their child. If more people obeyed the regulations life would be easier for dog owners.

Dave

We have caravanned with dogs for many years.

In my experience the best site facilities for dogs are provided by the Caravan Club, who also have strict rules about control of dogs and dog waste. In spite of providing these valuable services, they do not charge for dogs!!.

Many people like caravanning because they can take their dogs, and sometimes other pets with them, either in the UK or even in Europe. This is probably why such a high proportion of caravanners are dog owners.

Truth be known it is a Rip Off. :o If a site mentions a charge for Dogs, I always ask what my Dog gets for this charge, the thing is they don't want Dog's on site, why don't they just No Dogs. £££££££££££.

Hi all

As it has been said in some of the posts, the problem with most sites is the owners.

I am a dog lover, but Why should normal campers have to put up with the lazy dog owners.

You can walk around most sites, and see dog mess on the floor, what sort of Dog owners would do that.

I feel whatever the sites charge is never questionable, someone has to clear it up, the owners of the Dogs won't.

I don't have a dog, but I look after my parents dog when they go abroad, and I always pick up the dog mess.

Lets get the owners more aware of the problem.

Peter

Archived