Kia Sorento 2.5 Crdi

grahamw

I currently tow with a Freelander TD4 but am changing my caravan to one with a MTPLM of 1500 Kgs which I feel pushes the TD4 a little too near its limits.

I was at the NEC show recently and saw the KIA Sorento and felt that the 2. 5 diesel offered a lot of car for the money. I've seen several people with heavier caravans towing with them but have not had the opportunity to ask them for their opinions.

If you tow with a KIA Sorento - how well do they tow? On paper they should be okay. What Car magazine is critical of its acceleration but their evaluation is of a solo vehicle, which is not always the most relevant fact when towing. How reliable are KIA's? In the article in What Car one reader complained of his KIA jumping out of gear and had lost all faith in it as a tow car.

Any comments based on experience would be much appreciated.

I currently tow with a Freelander TD4 but am changing my caravan to one with a MTPLM of 1500 Kgs which I feel pushes the TD4 a little too near its limits.

I was at the NEC show recently and saw the KIA Sorento and felt that the 2. 5 diesel offered a lot of car for the money.   I've seen several people with heavier caravans towing with them but have not had the opportunity to ask them for their opinions.

If you tow with a KIA Sorento - how well do they tow?  On paper they should be okay.   What Car magazine is critical of its acceleration but their evaluation is of a solo vehicle, which is not always the most relevant fact when towing.   How reliable are KIA's?  In the article in What Car one reader complained of his KIA jumping out of gear and had lost all faith in it as a tow car.

Any comments based on experience would be much appreciated.

13274[/snapback]

Can't help with direct experience, but a good friend of mine has one and pulls a Swift Conquerer easily - you can't get much more of a test than that! He is delighted with the car and has had no trouble (well none that he's told me about!)

Kia offer a heck of a lot of car for the money. They are wholey owned by Hyundai BTW who are so sure of their vehicles that they offer a 5 year warranty!

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Graham

I appreciate that you want more direct experience than I can offer but I have seen several on Caravan Club sites towing large twin axle vans. I did think about one before I got the X-Trail. Its a bit bigger than the Nissan and I have hard enough job getting Margaret to drive the X-Trail so a bigger car could have caused probs. Not exactly a proper rationale for deciding on a towcar!! On other forums I have only heard positive comments.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I tow a Swift Challenger 530 with my Kia Sorento.

Best tow car I have ever had.

Not as economic as some, but plenty of power.

Graham, we have a 2. 5 XS auto Sorento. Bought it new in August 2003. We have done just over 25000 miles in it without a single problem. The car as had three recalls,pipe rubbing on the front end,alternator pulley replacement and just had a recall for wiring on ecu. Each time it went in no fault was found. We tow a Lunar (1600kgs) without any trouble at all. I would reccomend the XS model with cruise control and also the auto box. If you read the reports on the car you will find comments about the steering being very light. This may be the case but you will soon get used to that. Also the rear suspension is supposed to be too hard. It might be a little on the firm side but you are buying a 4x4 and not a luxury limo. The new model gives slightly more power and has a five speed auto instead of 4. Only downside I can think of is stated mpg and actual mpg. I have driven at various speeds from 55mph to 85mph to try and improve fuel economy. The worst I have got is 25. 4mpg and the best 27. 3 mpg. I have a gentle right foot but can get nowhere near official figures. I find that the mpg only drops slightly when towing. I hope this is of some use to you but I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend the Sorento. Tom.

I drove and towed with a Sorento at the NEC today. Had a go in the XS Auto diesel. Having only prodded and poked it in motor shows it was good to get behind the wheel to see how it behaved compared to my TDi Alhambra.

Firstly, the engine was quiet and refined. Windscreen seemed small but then again the Alhambra windscreen seems to stretch for miles! We could only do up to about 40mph on the roads around the NEC so not a proper test.

It felt a little odd having the indicators on the right hand stalk not sure if this is a trait of cars built in the Far East although I expect you'd get used to it, if not, you'd always have a very clean windscreen :)

I liked the seating position, everything is close enough to touch unlike the Alhambra where I have to lean slightly to reach the handbrake. The van on the back was a small Bailey so again not a true test of its ability. Steering was light as I found when reversing but brakes felt a little spongy compared to my Alhambra.

I gather that Honda are putting their award winning 2. 2 diesel engine in the CRV from next month so it will be interesting to compare it with that.

http://www. channel4. com/4car/road-tests/dr. ..r-v-diesel. html

Regards

David, Callum and Connor

Many thanks for all the very helpful replies to this thread. Having read all the press reports I could find I decided to go for a test drive.

The garage loaned me a KIA Sorento 2. 5 CRDi XS for the best part of a day. I did some 80 miles and felt very quickly at home in the vehicle. The steering is very light after what I'm used to but I think this eventually will be a plus. The ride is a little choppy compared to my TD4 Freelander but is still very acceptable. Acceleration, though criticised is parts of the press, I found very acceptable. There's obviously a balance between rapid acceleration and acceptable fuel economy.

My wife and I found the car very comfortable. The front seats are certainly more comfortable than my TD4 Freelander where the seat are far too short front to back and leave your thighs unsupported. Just a little noise from those larger tyres but I can live with that.

There's lots of kit for your money CD/mp3 player with 8 speakers, electrically heated front seats, electrically adjustable drivers seat, leather upholstery, self levelling suspension and so on.

I ordered the XS model.

Many thanks for the helpful comments