Too Cold For The Fridge To Work

PhilB

Something I've found over the past week seems to be that it has been too cold for the fridge to work. I currently have the van pitched with the side with the fridge vents in facing the weather ie northeast, although I've got vent blanking plates fitted I think the windchill has been such that the heater hasn't been able to cope - well I hope this is the case and there's not a fault. I tried it on gas with the same problem, that it keeps the beer cool but the freezer defrosts.

Something to watch in the future.

Phil

Guest john1215

Phil,

We were up at Hebden Bridge last week and the prevailing wind was blowing straight on to the side that my fridge is on and I didn't notice any of the problems you mentioned. The olny problem I did suffer was that the water froze in the aquaroll and in the wastemaster too.

john1215

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, I'm hoping this is the problem otherwise I'm in for a new fridge. When I left it this evening it was beginning to chill down again but it does seem to be very coincidental if it has gone faulty. Last night I took the vents off and managed to burn my thumb whilst feeling around the pipes to see if it was getting warm and also tried it on gas so if it is faulty it's not the heater that's causing it -- here's hoping.

Cheers

Phil

Something I've found over the past week seems to be that it has been too cold for the fridge to work.   I currently have the van pitched with the side with the fridge vents in facing the weather ie northeast, although I've got vent blanking plates fitted I think the windchill has been such that the heater hasn't been able to cope - well I hope this is the case and there's not a fault.   I tried it on gas with the same problem, that it keeps the beer cool but the freezer defrosts.

Something to watch in the future.

Phil

13242[/snapback]

Hi Phil

Below are some links ref fridge operatios and faults,

Fridge Info http://www. rvmobile. com/

Cooling Fan installation http://www. caravanningnow. co. uk/caravanning/fagffan. htm

Fault finding http://www. stowford. co. uk/faultfinder/index2. asp

Fridges how they work http://www. swift-owners-club. co. uk/soc1/tips/fridges. htm

Fault finder http://www. faultfinder. freeserve. co. uk/index. html

These links may help with your problem

Regards

Dave

Hi Roger,

I think you're right to some extent but what if it is so cold that the coolant doesn't (can't) get hot enough in the first place to kick off the process. I'm far from being any kind of expert in refridgeration but I do understand that this type of fridge needs heat to work but surely the efficiency must be impaired if it is too cold? I'm working on the premise that the fridge was working fine last week before it got cold but it isn't now, it may be faulty and I'll no doubt find out before too much longer.

Phil

Phil, I take your point that there may be a temperature so low that the process stops, but in that case Electrolux / Dometic / Thetford would publish that temperature because their fridges couldn't be expected to work below that level. As I stated Electrolux / Dometic don't publish any such temperature range. I have no information about Thetford.

This type of fridge is fitted to caravans used through the winter on mainland Europe where temperatures are much colder.

Hi Roger,

Many thanks for the links, I'd already found some of them but was having trouble getting my head around the workings of these things. From my point of view ie cost & convenience I hope I'm right and you're wrong :D but I have that horrible sinking feeling that you're right and I'll need a visit from the service engineer :( . I guess I'll know one way or the other this evening when I return to site. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Phil

I found using my fridge this weekend with the vent covers in place meant it didn't cool down enough.

It was 4 degrees or so, no wind. Seeing as the instructions for the fridge say to fit them at less than 10 degrees, I'd left them on, but then removed them to enable things to cool down in the fridge. Once I'd done that, everything was fine.

I was always led to believe the vent covers were there to stop the fridge from over cooling ie to keep the cold air from over freezing the fridge. The opposite happens in the summer ie over heating,and the unit won`t cool down enough thats why some people fit computer cooling fans behind the fridge. :unsure:

Quite sure there is no fault on your fridge.

If the ambient temperature is as low as you stated the refrigeration system will work very very inefficiently, if at all. Will not go into detail as technical stuff is boring, don't worry when the ambient temperature raises and you need the fridge the most it should be fine. (there's not a lot in there to go wrong anyway!)

Earlier on this week I put it on gas and in the morning all was well, I switched it on to mains, still working and has been doing so all week, if anything it has been too cold. One thing I noticed is that this week I heard the thermostat clicking on/off as I turned it where as last week it didn't so maybe (just maybe) seeing as the thermostat tube runs down from the control knob and around the back of the cabinet somewhere if this thinks that the cabinet has chilled to temperature it won't cut in again. .......... just a thought.

Anyway whatever the reasons it is working fine now and I hope it continues to do so, I can't keep throwing away frozen peas :-)

Many thanks for all your comments.

Phil

Archived