Charge Up

JOHN EVANS

HI

I run a compass omega and my electric supply is two 120 amp batteries coupled. Any idea,s where I can get A suitable solar panel system to charge these up as we camp on green field sites all year round and at present these are re charged by a generator

HI

I run a compass omega and my electric supply is two 120 amp batteries coupled. Any idea,s where I can get A suitable solar panel system to charge these up as we camp on green field sites all year round and at present these are re charged by a generator

965[/snapback]

Try this link I think the owners are members on the forum :=

http://www. sunshinesolar. co. uk/

good luck

Dave

I have obtained panels (120cm x 30cm) from Towsure & Leisurepower fairly recently. both quality makes (Shell & BP Solar) circa £280. 00.

I use a 220A/hr Electsol battery with a charge regulator.

Roy

1373[/snapback]

Sorry to butt in :lol: but do you use both your panels at the same time and what charge regulator do you use? I saw a post on the "old" site saying to get a series regulator not a shunt type but I don't know the difference :o

Take a look at this:

http://www. cps-solar. co. uk/

They sell a 40W polycrystalline panel at just under £200.

I would recommend going for either a monocrystaline or polycrystalline one as under British conditions you'll get a better charge (avoid amorphous panels).

Also the optimum angle is 62deg and remember to when possible track the Sun.

Nev & Tina

I have been using both panels mounted permanently on the roof of the caravan, this is not ideal as I cannot elevate them to the angle of the sun nor follow the sun, hence 2 panels, but I do get sufficient charge.

I use the 8 amp charge controller from Towsure.

3004[/snapback]

Thanks Armstrong. I asked because I have a 15watt amorphous panel and a 30watt polycrystalline one and I was wondering if I'd be able to use them both at the same time.

Did you mount them permanently yourself and, if so, what did you use?

Thanks Armstrong. I asked because I have a 15watt amorphous panel and a 30watt polycrystalline one and I was wondering if I'd be able to use them both at the same time.

Did you mount them permanently yourself and, if so, what did you use?

3085[/snapback]

I have a solar panel that I find very useful - its a 50w portable type one - and it works very well. I was going to get a roof mounted one but decided that should I change vans I would have to buy it all over again so decided to stick with the portable. My dealer put in the technical bits and all I do is plug the panel into a plug next to the battery !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Hi,

As I have advised before about charge controlers, I think this site will tell you all about them,

http://www. windsun. com/ChargeControls/mornings. htm

when I bought from them they were cheaper than the uk, even with post and tax.

hope this helps

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 6 months later...
Hi,

As I have advised before about charge controlers, I think this site will tell you all about them,

http://www. windsun. com/ChargeControls/mornings. htm

when I bought from them they were cheaper than the uk, even with post and tax.

hope this helps

Paul

4765[/snapback]

Many thanks for the recommendation Paul. I bought the Morningstar SS10 and used it for the first time when I was away last week. I had my 2 solar panels on the roof (15W and 30W). The weather was brilliant the first couple of days and kept the battery at 13. 2V. After that it was so sunny and I had friends with me so used more power but the battery still stayed at about 12. 7 - 12. 8V so I was really happy with it.

Archived