Honda Cr-v Diesel

Wirral Tourer

In this month's WhatCar, there is a group test on CR-V diesel and it comes out second to the Nissan X-Trail.

I can't speak for the diesel as I have the 2004 petrol version but, yes - the spare wheel does get in the way and is a real pain. On my version, I also find the rear suspension very sloppy when towing. I've asked Honda about this and they don't have an answer for me. However, they have said that the 2005 model has uprated suspension meaning the noseweight limit has gone from 60kg to 100kg. Small comfort for me when I bought my car new only 8 months ago!

I would have looked seriously at the CR-V if they had the diesel when I was looking and had made the changes that they have now. Would not have been happy with a 60kgs noseweight limit(now 100kgs). I find the X-Trail an excellent towcar.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

In this month's WhatCar, there is a group test on CR-V diesel and it comes out second to the Nissan X-Trail.

I can't speak for the diesel as I have the 2004 petrol version but, yes - the spare wheel does get in the way and is a real pain. On my version, I also find the rear suspension very sloppy when towing. I've asked Honda about this and they don't have an answer for me. However, they have said that the 2005 model has uprated suspension meaning the noseweight limit has gone from 60kg to 100kg. Small comfort for me when I bought my car new only 8 months ago!

13159[/snapback]

How do you get round the problem of the spare wheel obstructing - do you hitch up with the door open, remove the spare, or what????

How do you get round the problem of the spare wheel obstructing - do you hitch up with the door open, remove the spare, or what????

13173[/snapback]

Well, the ball and hitch just won't engage enough unless I apply a bit of extra pressure. So, once its as good as it will get with the stabiliser handle as high as possible, I basically stand on the hitch and bounce up and down a bit to get it to lock in properly :(:unsure:

The back door won't open/shut once hitched up as the handle is above its bottom lip, and there's no way I'm taking the spare off to do it when my method, although totally unacceptable, works!

I've head that Alko might be about to launch a retro-fit handle for 4x4s with this problem. Does anyone know about this?

Trouble is that there is not a dielsel automatic :(

I have yet to find one in an SUV. Unfortunately the larger beasts are too high and my wife cannot get in and out as she has a bad back and cannot pull herself up.

Roger

13168[/snapback]

This is true - why won't the Japanese compact 4x4 manufacturers produce one? The only choice is the Freelander, but I just couldn't handle the reliability risks and the fact its now getting on a bit (new one due out next year I hear).

Chances are, my next car will be a VW Touran 2. 0 TDi DSG, which has everything except the 4x4, including a diesel engine and a 6-speed auto. Mind you, I was caught up in blizzards in Norfolk at the weekend, and thanked my lucky stars that I had 4x4!! Arrhhh, why do I have to compromise when spending £20k of my hard-earned money? I just can't push the extra £10k for a big 4x4, or afford/want to run one.

In a bad mood now (again) :angry:

I've head that Alko might be about to launch a retro-fit handle for 4x4s with this problem. Does anyone know about this?

13682[/snapback]

If you go to caravan chat you wil see a similar posting asking about this problem for 4wds in general. one chap responded that he'd seen the retrofit in action there. However, he did comment that it was no more than 1/2 inch shorter than the current and still had to be in the full upright position to hitch up - therefore it doesn't seem like much an improvement.

Based on your comments I'm in a dilema about whether to go for a CRV - I would've thought the rear door would at least open when hitched up. As it doesn't this would be a real pain. Have you tried fitting a spacer to extend the hitch length away from the spare - not sure how advisable this is though because of the extra strain on the bar.

:-) I've just seen and posted in the other thread on the subject. I was told that fitting spacers was a no no as the bar is already the longer version to allow for the stabiliser!

I don't rate my CR-V as a great tower, but I have last year's spec and the new one has a much better specification. I'm sure the X-Trail is a better bet. However, I do love the CR-V as an everyday car, and as I've spent some time in an X-Trail, I much prefer the CR-V in that capacity (I'm talking the petrol versions of both cars here). It always seems to be a balancing act and a compromised choice, and as I wrote above, I hate £20,000 compromises!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We used to have a CR-V up to Jan of this year, a 1999 petrol. I loved it as an everyday solo car, comfortable, responsive, practical, probably one of the best cars I've had. Towing was fine when we first got the CR-V, we only had a Lunar Ariva (900kg)! Then we upgraded to the Swift Corniche (1425 MTPLM) and that was slightly different! I knew I was going to have to swap the CR-V too, however we did tow a few times before we swapped and I would say that even though it was an unadvisable match I thought the CR-V coped very well and wasn't at all bad, really very stable although it struggled a bit on the steeper hills. If I could afford to buy new, now that Honda have uprated the rear springs to give 100kg noseweight I would look again very seriously at a CR-V diesel.

Regarding the Al-ko stabiliser, we found that the rear door cleared it fine so hitching up by opening the rear door a tad wasn't a problem at all. Sometimes we found we didn't even have to open the rear door at all depending on the lie of the land at the time I suppose. One thing I do miss about it is the split rear door/window, very useful for accessing the rear luggage space after you've hitched up!

Cheers,

Tim

On March 1st I became the owner of the new honda crv diesel and am having a detachable towbar fitted on April 12th. I would like to use my leaf spring type stabilizer, does anyone know if it would be suitable to use with any of the following towbars. (Witter, Brink or Bosal)

At a later date I may wish to put the Al-ko stabilizer on. I have sent an e-mail to al-ko asking if the fact that the 2005 cvr nose weight is now 100kg and wheelsize is now 16ins will the spare wheel now clear the stabilizer handle as in the earlier model it was catching. I have not yet had a reply.

Any information would be much appreciated.

At a later date I may wish to put the Al-ko stabilizer on.   I have sent an e-mail to al-ko asking if the fact that the 2005 cvr nose weight is now 100kg and wheelsize is now 16ins will the spare wheel now clear the stabilizer handle as in the earlier model it was catching.   I have not yet had a reply.

Any information would be much appreciated.

15914[/snapback]

Let us know if you get a response from them. Cheers

• 7 months later...
Good, bad or ugly towing performance. One report said it wasn't as stable as expected over 50mph.

Also - does the spare wheel obstruct an ALKO 2004 stabiliser handle

12992[/snapback]

Hi

I have a CRV diesel, its good ! (better than 2 previous diesel Xtrails including the uprated one) . I have only one critiscism and that is the controls on the steering wheel are not as well positioned as a previous Accord Tourer I owned.

Bought this one in May i have towed 4K miles, it is impressive I have had 10 diesel towcars none of them compare with it. It is very silent (not quiet, silent) , plenty of power, well geared for towing, frugal, 42mpg around town, 48 out of town 29 - 32 towing a Lexon 1250 kg mtplm. Everything works properly, its comfortable,we took it to Scotland, and it was a pleasure to tow with. It handles very well, not done any off road though. It has a useful picnic table for a boot floor, and lots of storage areas.

This is the 3rd Honda I have owned and will likely be the last towcar for us because we know they last ! some people have said " spares expensive?" I reply no idea, never bought any. If you know anyone who works for Honda, be nice to them, they can register you as an "associate" , you can get a good discount on your new car.

The Xtrails were ok, (both mine had engine problems one of which was unresolved when I got fed up and sold it) . ,but not in the same class as the CRV.

Hi

I have a CRV diesel, its good ! (better than 2 previous diesel Xtrails including the uprated one) . I have only one critiscism and that is the controls on the steering wheel are not as well positioned as a previous Accord Tourer I owned.

Bought this one in May i have towed 4K miles, it is impressive I have had 10 diesel towcars none of them compare with it. It is very silent (not quiet, silent) , plenty of power, well geared for towing, frugal, 42mpg around town, 48 out of town 29 - 32 towing a Lexon 1250 kg mtplm. Everything works properly, its comfortable,we took it to Scotland, and it was a pleasure to tow with. It handles very well, not done any off road though. It has a useful picnic table for a boot floor, and lots of storage areas.

This is the 3rd Honda I have owned and will likely be the last towcar for us because we know they last ! some people have said " spares expensive?" I reply no idea, never bought any. If you know anyone who works for Honda, be nice to them, they can register you as an "associate" ,  you can get a good discount on your new car.

The Xtrails were ok, (both mine had engine problems one of which was unresolved when I got fed up and sold it) . ,but not in the same class as the CRV.

41896[/snapback]

We had the Mk1 CRV Exec and really liked the car. It needed a couple of disc changes and when it had done 85,000 miles (3 years) the exhaust started to rattle. To pass the MOT it needed the clamp tightening. Changed to the Oct '03 Mk1 X-Trail due to noseweight and the fact that there was no Honda diesel variant. Due to change next year and will certainly test drive one again. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the fact that you cannot switch to 4WD as on the Nissan. This is particularly useful on wet grass. Had no real problems with the X-Trail except a couple of front wheel bearings and a sticky sunroof. Done 68,000 to date.

Mike

Mike