Spare Wheel Carrier

Trevor

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a spare wheel carrier.

I have got two reasons for this post 1 to find out how good/safe they are and 2 where is the cheapest place to get one from on-line.

Trevor. :blink::blink:

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a spare wheel carrier.

I have got two reasons for this post 1 to find out how good/safe they are and 2 where is the cheapest place to get one from on-line.

Trevor. :blink:  :blink:

12919[/snapback]

I gave mine away, it took too much hassle to get the wheel out, don't know what we would have done if we had a puncture, and the caravan even lower, we have the spare (when travelling) in the centre of the van, to hold the telly in place. Then when we get there, keep it under the van, and keep the eggs in the well side. :rolleyes:

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

The Alko fitted to our new Abbey seems fine. Easy to get the wheel out and back and has provision for padlock to stop the wrong people from getting it out.

I have not had to use it 'in anger' but like every thing new to me I try and do a dummy run and I was pleased - certainly no hassle, just undo a retaing wheeled nut and slide the carrier out - took about 90 seconds.

And as they would say at Haynes to reassemble reverse the procedure.

The Alko fitted to our new Abbey seems fine.   Easy to get the wheel out and back and has provision for padlock to stop the wrong people from getting it out.

I have not had to use it 'in anger' but like every thing new to me I try and do a dummy run and I was pleased - certainly no hassle, just undo a retaing wheeled nut and slide the carrier out - took about 90 seconds.

And as they would say at Haynes to reassemble reverse the procedure.

12922[/snapback]

I understand it's a good idea to keep the sliding tubes lubricated otherwise they can bind.

Mlamont

I understand it's a good idea to keep the sliding tubes lubricated otherwise they can bind.

Mlamont

12923[/snapback]

Yes they actually tell you to do that in the handbook.

WD40 or similar ?????

13040[/snapback]

Hi Wildcat,

You are better off using grease,and plenty of it,rather than WD40. Check each year and re-grease as necessary. :)

I fitted the Bulldog equivalent. They were selling them direct at £30 including shipping.

Frank

Theres a place on Worsley, Manchester advertises in the magazines, £30 IIRC

Remember, if you go for that Al-Ko one to get the right size

13058[/snapback]

If you go for the Alko one, have a look at the tips section re the padlock. Watch out for single tube carriers as they can let the wheel 'rock' on the underside of the 'van. Be aware that Explorer had to recall some fitted to their 'vans. Not sure of the manufacturer.

Mike

Don't forget, if you caravan abroad, to change the carrier to exit to the right and then change it back when you come home. Otherwise you could be pulling the carrier out into the traffic lane if you do have a puncture.

Archived