Elddis Typhoon Xl 1994

youngjimmy22

Hello all

I am thinking of buying an Elddis Typhoon XL 4 berth end bathroom / side dinete.

Could you give me your thoughts on these caravans. My only niggle is the up side down boat style roof but they seem to hold their value the Elddis'.

It is a 1994 model with blown air heating, oven, cassette toilet etc.

Also what is it like to tow as it is 17ft long excluding draw bar and also very light as the MGW is 1150kg

Look forward to hearing your views

Hi Young Jimmy

We had a 1996 Elddis Typhoon EX300 (very similar) and a friend just sold his 94 XL. The vans are excellent value for money and even with the boat roof (XL only) still look really modern, plus the water runs off better which I actually think is a plus point!!

Towing was never a problem, we had an Alko 1300 stabiliser fitted, and we covered a lot of miles. Even had a Fiamma two bike bike rack on the back and it towed well!!

Build quality (cupboards etc) was probably better in its day than my 2004 Bailey!!!!!

Good luck if you go for it but be really careful of the dreaded damp as we had it in the walls in the washroom and high up in the front lockers!

Brian

I had a look at the caravan today and it just looked so old fashioned for the age. It had a small fridge, manual pump toilet, chipped paint on heater.

It was also an ex fair ground caravan that I didn't know before I went. I was a bit cheased off they didnt tell me before I went as I did 200 miles today to see it but I now know to stay away from Elddis caravans and look for something a bit younger and up market with mod cons in

It just seemed to be leep years behind the swift I had of the same age. The swift had a big fridge, fly screens and blinds all round, electric flushing cassette toilet, and a few other things the Elddis didnt have including a 1 piece roof as opposed to the Elddis with its boat type one.

I am sure the more modern heavier ones are better looking but for 4k there was no way I was going to buy it. If noboday had told me the year I would have said early 1980's van. Even all the taps were those dark brown cheap looking ones.

Maybe as I have only ever had Swifts I have been spoilt and this is what all other caravans are like? I don't know.

If there is another one closer I may have a look just too make sure they arent all like it.