Alko 2004

Wirral Tourer

The trick with a freelander was to hitch up at an angle and then you missed the spare wheel. I also had a large spacer which helped. It was possible to hitch up straight but you had to push the hitch on because you could not fully raise the arm.

If the spare on your car is in the middle of the rear door and not off set you may struggle.

Pete.

. ..silly question BUT can you not hitch up with the rear 4X4 door open, then when the hitch lock handle is down close the door?

This is a genuine query as I do not have a 4X4 but we are thinking about one and we have an ALKO 3004 hitch.

Dos'nt foul the jockey wheel on the Cherokee!!!

The 2004 version does not foul my Frontera with a swan neck ball. On my old one I used to hitch up with the door open ted as it was the only way it would work

Wirral tourer do you have a swan neck or not? [ on the car that is!]

Thinking of buying a Honda CR-V but have heard that rear mounted spare wheels obstruct the stabiliser handle on the 2004. How can this problem be overcome ? Would a hitch bracket spacer solve it or can you hitch up with the rear door open, or is this not a problem with the CR-V?

12828[/snapback]

We had a Mk 1 CRV with a Towsure tow bar fitted. This gave quite a lot of clearance, although we did not have a hitch stabiliser fitted. The spare wheel is offset so, providing you can approach at the right angle, fouling shouuld not be a problem. You don't say if you are buying new or not but be aware that the Mk 2 has a maximum noseweight of 60kg (not sure about the new diesel).

We have a Mk1 Nissan X-Trail 2. 2 diesel which has an underfloor spare wheel, 100kg noseweight and swichable 4WD so doesn't have the CRV problem.

Mike

Hi, I've got a LWB Frontera and the handle does foul the spare wheel. Currently, I remove the spare, hitch the caravan, replace the spare, drive to site, remove the . ..but you've got the idea.

Neither parking at an angle nor opening the rear door helps (the door is longer than the A frame).

Am going to the show on Saturday, where, I am promised, ALKO wil demonstrate a retrofit handle that solves the problem.

Watch this space

Hi, I've got a LWB Frontera and the handle does foul the spare wheel.   Currently, I remove the spare, hitch the caravan, replace the spare, drive to site, remove the . ..but you've got the idea.

Neither parking at an angle nor opening the rear door helps (the door is longer than the A frame).

Am going to the show on Saturday, where, I am promised, ALKO wil demonstrate a retrofit handle that solves the problem.

Watch this space

13000[/snapback]

ive got lwb frontera if you take sparewheel off and look at mounting plate were it bolts on to swing arm there is 4 holes its usally set at top if you undo the 4 bolts you can raise mountingplate

on mine i raised the mounting plate by 2 holes that took wheel up enough to use alko without taking spare off

if not get a 2" spaceing plate to go between towbar and towball that will take it out enough to clear wheel

ive got lwb frontera if you take sparewheel off and look at mounting plate were it bolts on to swing arm there is 4 holes its usally set at top  if you undo the 4 bolts you can raise mountingplate

on mine i raised the mounting plate by 2 holes that took wheel up enough to use alko without taking spare off

if not get a 2" spaceing plate to go between towbar and towball that will take it out enough to clear wheel

13003[/snapback]

I did roughly the same with my Fronty. But i also take the handle off the hitch when hitching (one bolt), hitch up, then put handle back on and apply pressure.

And the spare doesn't need to come off.

Alan, John & Lenny

What tow bar do you have on your cars? As I said above my handle touches the wheel cover but I have no problem at all in hitching at almost any angle. My bar is a brink with removable swan neck ball. This seems longer than others and that may be the answer.

Regards

Are spacers allowed under type approval?

12898[/snapback]

Spacers are only allowed if the towbar was given approval with one fitted. Most have been tested with at least a 15mm spacer (to allow fiting of leaf stabilisers etc) but you must check with the manufacturer.

Mike

David,

I have the removable swan neck towbar.

John,

My spare bolts to the rear door, no swing door. I know that Lenny (I think) also cut off the locating bar and raised the wheel. I am still unsure about that one.

Lenny,

I'll think about that.

But. ....tomorrow I shall be at the show so I'll talk to Alko about it.

Have a good weekend,

Just had a reply from ALKO who said they do not recommend spacers as they foul the stabiliser

12983[/snapback]

Can anyone enlighten me on how a spacer can foul the stabiliser? one hitch's onto a tow ball not the spacer and therefore I cannot see how the spacer can interfere when it is not in direct contact with the stabiliser.

Alan, John & Lenny

What tow bar do you have on your cars? As I said above my handle touches the wheel cover but I have no problem at all in hitching at almost any angle. My bar is a brink with removable swan neck ball. This seems longer than others and that may be the answer.

Regards

13130[/snapback]

i have a brink fitted with swankneck my can only be removed by undoing to bolts

i have 1994 2. 4i lwb est the one were the spare is mounted on swingarm i raised carrier by about 4" enough to hook up ok

if your handle touches wheel you still might hookup ok as pressure dont start till 1/2 way down you dont need handle fully up to hookup

Dos'nt foul the jockey wheel on the Cherokee!!!

12875[/snapback]

:) Do you have to open your door to hitch up metz?

Its a bit tight on our Cherokee but we can hitch up OK.

We don't need to open the door and don't need to come in at a certain angle to hitch. ..all though coming on straight seems easier.

I ask this because when i talk to Cherokee owners at 4x4 off road events and caravan sites. .....they all have different experiences.

I find this strange as all the models of car are the same and all have the AL KO 2004.

You would think we would all have problems hitching or all not. :blink:

ATB, Lee :)

As promised. ........

We went to the show (and bought a mover) and found the Alko stand. Another couple, who owned aTerrano, joined us and we spoke to the representative.

He said, (and we bought a mover), that the old handle was removed and the new one fitted. We pointed out that the new handle was barely half an inch shorter than the old one.

He said, but the handle does not have to be vertical in order to unhitch; Oh yes it does we said, he tried and we were right (and we bought a mover). He than suggested that we took the handle off and put it back on at the relevant times. All his other points were equally off the mark.

It is something that I must try, but the other couple and we thought that it was the biggest non-event we knew and withdrew in a huff (and we bought a mover).

I don't want to spend the rest of my life taking the spare wheel on and off, I am even thinking of going back to a blade stabiliser.

Oh, BTW, I thought that I would mention the fact that we bought a Powrtouch caravan mover at the show; can't wait to have it fitted.

Oh great - and I was looking forward to that!!! I've just put in a post on the towcar section on this subject, but my CR-V does suffer greatly, I can't hitch up with the door open, and my answer is to basically stand on the hitch and bounce up and down until it locks on the towball!! Having read this thread, I'm waiting for a smug X-Trail owner to remind me that their car has the spare wheel under the floor in the boot.

<_<

Archived