Tv Aerials

Mozilla

Hi all.

I've got a Bailey Discovery which didn't come with a TV aerial so I'm looking to get one. As I've got a couple of young kids who love CBeebies, I need to pick up freeview channels. I bought an internal aerial (Phillips SBC-TT750 amplified) and it was worse than rubbish.

I'm not exactly sure I want to drill a hole in the roof of my caravan and get something like a Status 315 Omin-Directional Antenna, but I will if this is the best/only option.

Any opinions?

Many thanks,

Mike

Hi Mozilla,

Your best option in many peoples opinion is a drawbar mounted mast and a standard domestic directional high gain aerial. There are several relatively compact high gain aerials for under £20 and the purpose made mast and bracket is also about £20.

Apart from being cheaper and more efficient than the Status units, there is no need to drill any holes in the roof of the van

How you get the co-ax into the van is up to you,through the floor of the front locker and plug into a bulkhead socket is one option. The fewer plug/socket connections the better,especially with digital.

Frank

As I've got a couple of young kids who love CBeebies, I need to pick up freeview channels.

Mike

12770[/snapback]

Have you thought about a Satellite system, only a few quid for a second hand system or less than £200 for a purpose built system. One off payment of £20 for a viewing card to get the free to air channels, of which I think Cbeebies is one, then again it must be if its on freeview.

Wildkat

Hi all.

I've got a Bailey Discovery which didn't come with a TV aerial so I'm looking to get one. As I've got a couple of young kids who love CBeebies, I need to pick up freeview channels. I bought an internal aerial (Phillips SBC-TT750 amplified) and it was worse than rubbish.

I'm not exactly sure I want to drill a hole in the roof of my caravan and get something like a Status 315 Omin-Directional Antenna, but I will if this is the best/only option.

Any opinions?

Many thanks,

Mike

12770[/snapback]

Forget the 315 but have a look at the Image range, also made by Grade UK at

http://www. gradeuk. co. uk/

Mike

mmmmmm!!! Cbeebies the saviour of many a trip/day/holiday

dont care what it costs it's a must have .

Seriously tho there was something about aerials in practical caravan

which the image status 530/18 won and that was A frame mounted

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Hi, We have a Discovery 200 (no areial ) we also have to girls 3&5. What we do is take a TV/DVD combo and lots of there favorite DVD, no Complaints, I get feed up with CeeBebes it always seems to be the tweenies!

Mike

We got a freeview box, only to find that at home - no signal at the Easter site I've booked no signal, where can you get a signal. I know I've checked the coverage web site, but it's not that good. Oh well it's a bottle of plonk and a book again, but thats not bad is it?

Forget aerials and terrestrial TV, they're pretty much obsolete . Get a sat dish and decoder, providing you get a big enough dish, you will be able to pick up a signal (pretty much) anywhere. You do not need to subscribe either to get the 'freeview' channels, although you can always use your sky card from home to get more channels.

Yossa

Hi, We have a Discovery 200 (no areial ) we also have to girls 3&5. What we do is take a TV/DVD combo and lots of there favorite DVD, no Complaints, I get feed up with CeeBebes it always seems to be the tweenies!

Mike

13045[/snapback]

I don't have a TV as such at all. We have a portable DVD player with screen (you know, the ones that sit in an open bag and hang between the seats in the car) so the kids watch DVDs when on the move. But (and here's the clever bit), the player also has input jacks on the back, so I use it as a monitor to view Freeview channels. The player weighs nothing and takes up no room (as there is no tube or glass screen), works off of a 12v mains adaptor and pulls very little current. The combined cost of the player and freeview box works out under £200 and the player is multi-purpose and works in the car!! How cool is that?

Downside is I have no terrestrial tuner as I would in a normal TV, so I need to pick up Freeview, thus my original question.

Thanks for the replies so far. One more question - I've been looking at the Image/VP stuff from Grade and this looks good. Does anyone have any experience with the different types of masts on offer? The A-Frame one looks the easiest, but there's something about the idea of having an aerial there that seems a bit low-class. Am I being a caravan snob?

Mike

Hi Mozilla,

Someone has posted in the current CC magazine about 'A' frame mounted rotary clothes driers being offensive,so presumably he won't be happy with an 'A' frame mounted aerial mast,unless of course he has one himself. :lol:

Personally I don't mind what others do,as long as it doesn't affect me and mine.

Most people take pride in the appearance of their outfits anyway. An aerial on a pole is simply a practical solution to the manufacturers inability to provide an adequate alternative. :(

Frank

Hi I spent ages looking into what to do about Tv viewing in our van. We have two 4 year old girls and after spending two weeks last july with no Tv recption and watching the same cartoons on video due to rain rain and more rain,i decided to get a satellite system for the caravan. I spent most money on a Maxiview dish and tripod from my local caravan dealership. I bought a second hand digibox from ebay and use the Sky card from home. Now we have all the entertainment we need if the rain keeps us inside.

Bob, Helen,Abigail & Ruth :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't have a TV as such at all. We have a portable DVD player with screen (you know, the ones that sit in an open bag and hang between the seats in the car) so the kids watch DVDs when on the move. But (and here's the clever bit), the player also has input jacks on the back, so I use it as a monitor to view Freeview channels. The player weighs nothing and takes up no room (as there is no tube or glass screen), works off of a 12v mains adaptor and pulls very little current. The combined cost of the player and freeview box works out under £200 and the player is multi-purpose and works in the car!! How cool is that?

Downside is I have no terrestrial tuner as I would in a normal TV, so I need to pick up Freeview, thus my original question.

Thanks for the replies so far. One more question - I've been looking at the Image/VP stuff from Grade and this looks good. Does anyone have any experience with the different types of masts on offer? The A-Frame one looks the easiest, but there's something about the idea of having an aerial there that seems a bit low-class. Am I being a caravan snob?Mike

13163[/snapback]

Yes, you are! (but then we all can be at some time). Three solutions spring to mind.

1. Fit a 530/5 (top of the range) in one of the lockers or wardrobe of our 'van. This is a directional aerial that is rotated from inside the 'van.

2. Use the mast that clamps onto the side of your 'van via the awning and window rails (or with the supplied brackets bonded to the side)

3. Go the satellite route. This may be the best in the long run, as it will work with high-definition TV when it is available and with the right dish will work even in Spain.

It all depends on how keen you are to watch TV. You could pick up a Vision Plus 18/2 and mast off E-bay for £25 - £35. They are about £45 - £50 new.

Mike

Hi Mozilla,

Someone has posted in the current CC magazine about 'A' frame mounted rotary clothes driers being offensive,

Frank

13167[/snapback]

It wasn't the 'A' frame mounted rotary clothes drier that was causing offence - it was the washing hanging from it that was causing the problem!. I wouldn't think anybody would take offence at having a TV aerial on the 'A' frame as long as you don't drape your washing over it!!

Yossa

It wasn't the 'A' frame mounted rotary clothes drier that was causing offence - it was the washing hanging from it that was causing the problem!.

Yossa

13308[/snapback]

Hi Yossa,

I can't imagine what other use a rotary clothes dryer would have,unless it is really a wideband directional antenna in disguise. :lol:

Frank

Hi Yossa,

I can't imagine what other use a rotary clothes dryer would have,unless it is really a wideband directional antenna in disguise. :lol:

Frank

13328[/snapback]

You never know!

Yossa

Whilst away on the CC National last year, our status aerial went silly. Wasn't that impressed with it anyway to be honest, especially being on a van less than 2 years old. So i shot off to Harringtons, wasn't too far away anyway, and just bought a simple little unit they had on sale.

It's a small black box, with a small loop coming out. Didn't look that impressive, and i think it was 7 quid or thereabouts. That'll do till i get home and fix the status.

Stuff the status!!!!

This little box is unbelievable. It works off 4 AA batteries, and has one red LED on the box to say if it's on or not. I just plugged it in, switched it on and the reception is the best i have had in 7 years. It sits next to, or on top of the telly. Crystal clear, perfect. I dont know who makes this little device, as it has no name or markings on it, and it looks like something knocked up in someones shed, but it really is superb.

And whilst telling our friends about my new found discovery, i was shown there little black boxes. They had bought them weeks before on the recommendation of someone.

If you buy one, i guarantee you will be amazed. It even works on my drive perfectly, while the van is surrounded by 20 foot conifers.

Have you thought about a Satellite system, only a few quid for a second hand system or less than £200 for a purpose built system. One off payment of £20 for a viewing card to get the free to air channels, of which I think Cbeebies is one, then again it must be if its on freeview.

Wildkat

12849[/snapback]

I think you'll find that Sky has stopped issuing the free to air cards and now into the one off payment of £150 for equipment and access but I think there may be a problem like an engineer has to install it - check out the Sky website.

Phil

Ok - silly question time :rolleyes:

Where do you put your satellite dishes? I know they sit on tripods, but do you just keep them outside for all to see? I'm asking because, as they all seem to be around £100+, having something of that value on dsplay would surely tempt someone to walk off with it! Sorry if I'm being really thick here. Do they work if they're in awning or something?

Mike

It's a small black box, with a small loop coming out. Didn't look that impressive, and i think it was 7 quid or thereabouts. That'll do till i get home and fix the status.

Stuff the status!!!!

13457[/snapback]

Any more details about this box Lennie? Maybe a picture or a link?

Cheers

It sound likes 'A Magic Circle'.These have had many good reports and usually cost between £12-15. The last one I saw was in Boyes. :)

Here's a link:-

http://www. wilmond. co. uk/acatalog/Online_C. ..Aerials_39. html

Some ask silly prices for them:-

http://www. caravanadditions. co. uk/acatalog. ..l_Products. html

Frank

Yes, I'm certain this is a Magic Circle. I have used one of these for about 8-9 years, with very good results - and they are excellent value. My only slight criticism is that the red 'on' LED is a bit dim so it's easy to leave it on and eventually flatten the batteries - especially if you have children! The Bailey I bought last year has a Status fitted as standard, but I have yet to carry out a comparison of the two.

GMC

It sound likes 'A Magic Circle'.These have had many good reports and usually cost between £12-15. The last one I saw was in Boyes. :)

Here's a link:-

http://www. wilmond. co. uk/acatalog/Online_C. ..Aerials_39. html

Frank

13723[/snapback]

THATS THE ONE!!!!

I didn't know what it was called, but thats it. I got it cheaper at Harringtons, under a tenner deffo. Saying that they had a sale on, so im not sure it was included.

It is, without doubt, absolutely sheer brilliance.

Yes, I'm certain this is a Magic Circle.   I have used one of these for about 8-9 years, with very good results - and they are excellent value.   My only slight criticism is that the red 'on' LED is a bit dim so it's easy to leave it on and eventually flatten the batteries - especially if you have children!  The Bailey I bought last year has a Status fitted as standard, but I have yet to carry out a comparison of the two.

GMC

13740[/snapback]

To be fair, my status was average, but it never gave me clarity like this box thingy does.

I haven't bothered getting the status fixed. Don't see the point, fixing something to give me an inferior service to what i've got now.

Incidently, i just sit it on top of the shelf next to my tv, or hang it upside down on a top shelf, and on one occasion i've hung it through the heki roof, but on the inside.

Worked perfect every time.

Ok - silly question time  :rolleyes:

Where do you put your satellite dishes? I know they sit on tripods, but do you just keep them outside for all to see? I'm asking because, as they all seem to be around £100+, having something of that value on dsplay would surely tempt someone to walk off with it! Sorry if I'm being really thick here. Do they work if they're in awning or something?

Mike

13699[/snapback]

Our dish is tripod mounted and sits just ouside at the front of the van.

So far we have not had any problems with the security of it. I guess you just have to trust it wont be stolen. .You could chain it to the van in some way but it seems a lot of bother. .

Bob :rolleyes::rolleyes: