Grand Cherokee

kenkroy

I have been lucky enough to collect my new awesome towing jeep,and wonder if any one has experience or tips on towbars etc for it.

Whats your opinions on extra mirrors?Are they really needed to comply with the law which I belive states you need to be able to see down the sides.

Last season I towed with a Volvo V70 and to be honest stuck on mirrors were not a great deal of use.

I have a Grand Cherokee 2. 7 CDR, 2004 model, the tow bar was fitted by the dealer and is removable. As for mirrors I always fit extra mirrors to both NS & OS mirrors, then I move the vehicles mirrors down to enable me to see the wheels of my caravan when cornering. Towing it's just great, all the way to Venice and back no problems. Enjoy your new Jeep. :)

I have a Grand Cherokee 2. 7 CDR, 2004 model, the tow bar was fitted by the dealer and is removable. As for mirrors I always fit extra mirrors to both NS & OS mirrors, then I move the vehicles mirrors down to enable me to see the wheels of my caravan when cornering. Towing it's just great, all the way to Venice and back no problems. Enjoy your new Jeep. :)

12804[/snapback]

Nice one!I like the tip on using the mirrrors at low level. I shall give it a try.

I've got a 2. 7 CRD with a detachable towbar also fitted by the dealer, it's a Witter but made by GPW I think they call it a stowbar. The only problem is that it gathers road grim and it becomes difficult to remove - the answer ts to give it a goog wash with soapy water and then a film of oil. I also use extra mirrors but set the nearside one to show the wheels and use the cars mirror for keeping an eye on the road but set the off side the other way with the car mirror set low to watch the wheels and the extension for the traffic.

I find towing with it very easy especially with the cruise control and get about 22-25mpg on a motorway run but a little less through the lanes. No problems with a Alko 2004, only complaint is that it is currently in the garage awaiting parts to stop a gearbox oil leak so have a CRD manual Cherokee to get about in.

Phil

Last season I towed with a Volvo V70 and to be honest stuck on mirrors were not a great deal of use.

12720[/snapback]

I use a V70 for towing and wouldn't be without extra mirrors when towing. Try looking down the side of your van with and without - the difference is vast. My van is slightly wider than "normal" but only a couple of inches.

Keat

I have been lucky enough to collect my new awesome towing jeep,and wonder if any one has experience or tips on towbars etc for it.

Whats your opinions on extra mirrors?Are they really needed to comply with the law which I belive states you need to be able to see down the sides.

12720[/snapback]

Hi Kenkroy,

We have the Grand Cherokee 3. 1 TD towing a Ace Award Twinstar and I have got to agree with everyone it is a great towcar, we went to Aveimore for christmas and had high winds and snow on the way up, it handled like a dream, you have made a good choice, enjoy :)

12720[/snapback]

I echo the comments here. Our Grand Cherokee is fitted with a Mopar towbar (Chrysler's own). I always use two extension "Special" mirrors with convex glass from Repusel http://www. repusel. com when towing. As these leave the standard mirrors in full view, I too angle these down for a view of the caravan wheels when cornering. See also http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/forums/index. php?showtopic=677 in the Accessories Section.

A good towcar that will tow virtually anything anywhere. We have the V8 petrol version and that was a tad expensive to run in its standard form, so we converted it to run on LPG and it's now "cheap as chips" with no real loss of power.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Yep, another highly satisfied 'Grand user here. ..has no problem with a heavy double axle van, we hardly know it's there. We do the same as Gordon with the mirrors.

I've read a couple of reports recently where the testers didn't like the comfy seats (must've had strange shaped b u m s!), think one was in the Jan caravan club mag.

One tester has described it as 'driving a jelly'...I guess there is a bit of side to side waggle down the lanes round here but that's a small price to pay for the driving position, bags of power, comfort, gadgets, build quality etc etc.

The car has reversing sensors and I wanted to stop the internal reversing alarm from going continuously whenever I'm reversing with the van on as it's more than a bit loud. The towbar is a Brink detachable (the Jeep mopar version already has the right electronics on it) so I made up a simple circuit so that when the van is plugged into the grey socket and the car's in reverse, the feed to the reversing sensor control box is broken by a relay. ..works a treat. :D

Off to give it a thorough test in Scotland over Easter. ..

Steve

B)B)