Caravan Door

Half a Job Harry

Hi all

Is there anyone out there who can help me, I have a Bailey Discovery 400 and the door is hard to shut from inside and out :(. I have tried the handle on another bailey and the door closes with no effort at all, mine you have to slam shut, it is even a struggle for my children to slam it shut. I asked my dealer to look at it, he said they are all like it, and can't do anything about it!!!

Does anyone else have this problem or a solution to it.

Any suggestions greatly received.

Hi all

Is there anyone out there who can help me, I have a Bailey Discovery 400 and the door is hard to shut from inside and out  :(.   I have tried the handle on another bailey and the door closes with no effort at all, mine you have to slam shut, it is even a struggle for my children to slam it shut. I  asked my dealer to look at it, he said they are all like it, and can't do anything about it!!!

Does anyone else have this problem or a solution to it.

Any suggestions greatly received.

12678[/snapback]

Our 'van door was also stiff to close but a smear of butter (we were on site at the time) seemed to do the trick.

Mlamont

Guest mr_sheens

quite a common fault on all caravans. usual suspect is the catch plate on the door frame. over a period of time the catch plate will sometimes move inwards, and ot of alignment. check to make sure it is squared up to the frame and if not, straighten back up with a pair of pliers or mole grips.

There must be something "about" Bailey doors. I think the guy who fits them never checks to see if they work properly or he is an absolute beginner(being polite here). I have had two brand new Senators since 2002 and my daughter has a new Ranger. All of these vans has had to have a new door/frame fitted under warranty(10 week wait). On my first Senator (Arizona), the door was difficult to close from the inside. I could see daylight between the door and the frame. On inspection, The frame(door opening) was 12mm wider at the top than at the bottom: impossible to adjust.

On my next Senator, the door was catching the frame at the bottom: again making it difficult to close from the inside. The frame was gouged where the door was catching. On my daughters caravan:not only is it difficult to close(the blind has come adrift with slamming the door), but when opened the two halves of the door separate with a gap of 25mm,resulting in the bottom half blowing to and fro.

What I can't understand is: why go to the trouble of fitting a door that doesn't work. It makes you wonder what their house doors are like!

We had a problem with our door on the Fleetwood, asked the dealer to fix it and he said, shut it normally, then just 'push' the door near the handle and it will click shut. Never had a problem since. Slamming it makes it worse and weakens the handle.

We had a problem with our door on the Fleetwood, asked the dealer to fix it and he said, shut it normally, then just 'push' the door near the handle and it will click shut.   Never had a problem since.   Slamming it makes it worse and weakens the handle.

13260[/snapback]

How do you push it from the inside?!!!!!! Sorry, couldn't resist!

When my door was likewise, I, too, gave it a sharp push beside the handle. When inside, a sharp tug was needed. Then I lubricated the strike plate and all was solved, till I tipped it on its side three weeks ago. ..........

Mlamont

The door on my Bailey was also difficult to close from the inside. I could manage it OK but my wife´s arthritic hands couldn´t. I loosened off the holding screws and put several pieces of sheet rubber under the leading edge. After the lock had been moved out around 2mm. , it closed easily.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com