Discoverey Td5

telshe

Hi

l have been thinking of buying a 02/03 Disco TD5 next year to take 4 adults and 2 young children and my Bailey Discoverey 200 down to the South of France to go on a camping/Caravanning holiday with my dauther /french son inlaw and my 2 grandchildren who now live in that area. The main questions are, A are they reliable and B what other car would you suggest if the LR disco is no good.

many thanks for any input.

regards Terry. :) :

Are they reliable ????

HA HA HA HA HA HA

My neighbour works in Land Rover warranty dept - lets say there is a very thick book of known problems.

The worst is that early Td5 engines had flywheels that disintegrated by 20,000 miles (wrong metal alloy). Most are badly screwed together, and all are seriously underpowered given the size and weight of the car.

Caravan Club magazine did a survey of owners about a year ago which showed ON AVERAGE a breakdown every 18,000 miles, compared to the Toyota LandCruiser which broke down on average every 222,000 miles or so. ......

That all said, I have had no warrenty work required on either of my Td4 Freelanders (BMW engine though), or my VW Touareg (but only 8,000 miles done so far!).

Alternatives depend on your budget and sixe requirements, but look at Nissan Patrol, Toyota LandCruiser, Hyundai Terracan, Isuzu Trooper, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

(only my opinion which is worth diddly-squat, unless you pay me!)

Are they reliable ????

HA HA HA HA HA HA

My neighbour works in Land Rover warranty dept - lets say there is a very thick book of known problems.

The worst is that early Td5 engines had flywheels that disintegrated by 20,000 miles (wrong metal alloy). Most are badly screwed together, and all are seriously underpowered given the size and weight of the car.

Caravan Club magazine did a survey of owners about a year ago which showed ON AVERAGE a breakdown every 18,000 miles, compared to the Toyota LandCruiser which broke down on average every 222,000 miles or so. ......

That all said, I have had no warrenty work required on either of my Td4 Freelanders (BMW engine though), or my VW Touareg (but only 8,000 miles done so far!).

Alternatives depend on your budget and sixe requirements, but look at Nissan Patrol, Toyota LandCruiser, Hyundai Terracan, Isuzu Trooper, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

(only my opinion which is worth diddly-squat, unless you pay me!)

12683[/snapback]

As a rebalance, 2002 model perfect - no problems in 28k miles, still same tyres even.

Everyone seems to like knocking LR products but look around. How many are there on the road? No wonder you hear more complaints - there are more on the road than any comparable make in this country. Are they all wrong?

If all you want is reliability and not 'feel good factor', buy a Nissan or toyota. If you want cheap, buy a terracan. If you want a tractor, buy an isuzu. If you love american, buy a jeep. ........ each to their own. Just stop knocking products because of past issues.

It's interesting that most people that knock them . ...." have a mate who says"!

Sorry for the rant :rolleyes:

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

As a rebalance, 2002 model perfect - no problems in 28k miles, still same tyres even.

Everyone seems to like knocking LR products but look around. How many are there on the road? No wonder you hear more complaints - there are more on the road than any comparable make in this country. Are they all wrong?

If all you want is reliability and not 'feel good factor', buy a Nissan or toyota. If you want cheap, buy a terracan. If you want a tractor, buy an isuzu. If you love american, buy a jeep. ........ each to their own. Just stop knocking products because of past issues.

It's interesting that most people that knock them . ...." have a mate who says"!

Sorry for the rant :rolleyes:

Martin W

12711[/snapback]

I bought a TD5 in 2003 which was generally good. However, I was hacked off when it failed its first MOT due to worn track rod ends (or something very similar). Apparently they are not very beefy for the type of use the vehicle can handle. I had been up a number of forest-type roads but nothing too serious. The final straw was when it failed to re-start one day when we were in a remote part of the country. The nearest LR dealer hooked it up to the diagnostics which claimed there was an air flow meter problem. They could find nothing wrong and, after road-testing it, hooked it up again - no error message this time and, to be fair, it did start ok after that but my confidence was dented. I also found it sluggish in the lower gears. For its size, it handled well with the ACE suspension. I traded it in for an M-B 270 CDI which has been good so far. More car-like and amazingly good off road on road tyres - but that was on a Mercedes off-road day!

Mlamont

Hi

l have been thinking of buying a 02/03 Disco TD5 next year to take 4 adults and 2 young children and my Bailey Discoverey 200 down to the South of France to go on a camping/Caravanning holiday with my dauther /french son inlaw and my 2 grandchildren who now live in that area. The main questions are, A are they reliable and B what other car would you suggest if the LR disco is no good.

many thanks for any input.

regards Terry.   :) :

12670[/snapback]

Does it have to be a 4x4?

I would have thought that if you want to carry six people that far an MPV would be more comfortable and unless your caravan is very large there are a lot of MPVs that will tow quite happily. I've not towed that far but have taken my caravan + 6 people, 5 of whom were adult (in size if not in years) around 200 miles each way with ease. More economical than a 4x4 as well.

I have got a 1999 TD5 which I find is really wonderful to drive. I had a Pajero before that and I feel I have bettered my self. People do knock the Disco but they do say as well that things get better with age, i. e series 3. I would go and buy another one after this due to the power it has in every gear, comfort and not bad MPG at 30 for a 2. 5. At the end of the day it is personal preference and one person will hate it and the other will love it. :D

The main questions are, A are they reliable and B what other car would you suggest if the LR disco is no good.

All I can say is go and drive one.

I had over £15,000 of warranty work done by main dealers. I bought it from a fellow caravantalk member who was only to pleased to get rid of it(I don't bear a grudge he is a very nice person)

Terrible on diesel and I get free fuel with work!

It's a truly archaic, there's lots better out there.

Saying all that, you do feel good looking down on other road users.

We have had 2 Land Rovers Discoverys been all over Europe, (well not all over just feels like it), We have found both car's to be a very comfortable ride and have had not had any problems, saying that will probley break down in Italy on our holl's, :huh:

I had a T reg TD5 GS. NEVER AGAIN.

I had loads of problems with it. Eventually sold it when it fell out of warranty because the radiator required replacing due to a minor leak at a joint. Before then it was in and out of the dealership for a range of problems. My brother also had one. He had so many problems with his that he ended up negotiating a refund from Land Rover. They're heavy on fuel, expensive to service and expensive to repair.

I had a T reg TD5 GS. NEVER AGAIN.

I had loads of problems with it. Eventually sold it when it fell out of warranty because the radiator required replacing due to a minor leak at a joint. Before then it was in and out of the dealership for a range of problems. My brother also had one. He had so many problems with his that he ended up negotiating a refund from Land Rover. They're heavy on fuel, expensive to service and expensive to repair.

13020[/snapback]

Hmmm,

I wonder if that is it. Maybe the later ones are ok for reliability - after BMW managed to tame the workforce? :rolleyes:

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Why is your TD5 160 BHP???

13105[/snapback]

It's been chipped by Van Aaken - see the topic about this that's running at the mo!

If you want more info PM me :)

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

As every thing you get good ones and bad ones just because you have had a bad experiance with a Disco doesn't mean all of them are the same. At least ne thing though beens so many are sold each year it is easy to get parts for them. .. :D

Only had the older Disco, not the TD5.

My boss is on his 2nd TD5, and loves them.

Reliability, i dont know.

But i will say they are absolutley unbelievably good to drive with the ACE suspension system.

I'm on my 3rd Disco. The first one i bought was in 94 and was the first of the 300 Tdi's which was excellent and very reliable. The 2 nd one was a 98 Tdi which lasted 12 months and had to go as it was a nightmare.

After various other cars some good and some bad I bought a TD5 12 months ago. It has been wonderful and very reliable. We have done over 10000 miles and is not used for work runs etc. Its been to Ireland with all the kids and gear without a hitch. We have fitted a Vanaaken tune up box which was well worth while.

I think you get good and bad in everything so if its what you want I'd go for it as it does everything very well indeed.

Just coming up to 100,000 miles in my Discovery 2 TD5 and still enjoying it.

So glad I didn't start my LR owning experience before the 2000 model year tho with all the historical issues and mine has not been without fault - but if you really want the 4x4 _marque_ there is NONE better in the UK.

The Jap stuff may be more reliable but there is an immense feeling of comfort from the command driving position of the Disco.

Dribbling over a Disco 3 at the mo', 12-18 months ahead of reality.

Top tip from the dealers - don't drive the 3 unless you are able to buy one immediately, you will only frustrate yourself silly. What a fantastic sales technique ! Looking at the service menu, the cost of ownership is going down for the new car and the quality now exceeds that of the RR.

Book a 48 hour test and enjoy it !

Moose

• 2 weeks later...

My mum and dad hve had LR Discoverys since the N reg and now have a 53reg TD5 they love it no problems what so ever, My husband and I have a LR Freelander each, one is a 1998 XEDI diesel and the other a 51 reg TD4 owned from new no problems what so ever with either of them, and they are meant to have bad reports. :rolleyes:

I think the problem with Landrovers (up until recently) was the antiquated manufacturing process that relied a lot on manual assembly. It was always possible to get a "Monday" or "Friday" car that the workers had not really put their best into. That's why you hear both horror and happy stories about Landrovers.

We don't get a lot of LR news down here, but I believe that Ford have modernised the assembly process so that the quality is now improved and more consistent.

Stephen.