Keeping Mud Out Of Your 'van

SBS

Obtain a damaged bread tray by asking your local bakery nicely (don't nick one). Using a wood saw, cut off the sides - A Presto (whoever he is, must be related to Bob) - one duck board for use in muddy conditions or on hard standing with fine grit that you drag in on your boots. Use in summer to keep grass clippings from trailing into the van. Smooth side up for bare feet. Easy to store in the front locker.

Can also be used under car wheels for extra traction. If you can get a few of them, they can be used whole to create a hard standing on grass by burying them upside down and seeding so that the grass grows through.

Mike

The above remarks may seem a little flipant Mike but this is a great tip.

A friend of mine managed to get a few plastic latticed trays from the bottom of a load of packaged something or others - measures about 1m square - brilliant!

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Obtain a damaged bread tray by asking your local bakery nicely (don't nick one).  Using a wood saw, cut off the sides - Hey Presto (whoever he is, must be related to Bob) - one duck board for use in muddy conditions or on hard standing with fine grit that you drag in on your boots.   Use in summer to keep grass clippings from trailing into the van.   Smooth side up for bare feet.   Easy to store in the front locker.

Can also be used under car wheels for extra traction.   If you can get a few of them, they can be used whole to create a hard standing on grass by burying them upside down and seeding so that the grass grows through.

Mike

12666[/snapback]

Good tip if you want to have extra gear to carry, and more gear to clean before storing it away.

My wife and I always take our shoes off before we enter the 'van just as we do everytime we arrive back home from going out. It's just habit, we always remove our shoes when going into other people's houses, friends etc. they are always surprised but are getting used to our way of life.

Often we have a porch awning erected, but if not, we put a black bin liner folded in half just inside the door to put our shoe's on when we enter the 'van. Nobody is allowed to come into our 'van with their shoe's on, Winter or Summer. If it's good enough for us then it's good enough for them. We respect other people's property and expect the same in return.

WE BOUGHT A PLASTIC "FAKE GRASS" LOOKING DOORMAT FROM POUNDSTRETCHERS FOR £2. 00 IT IS GREAT FOR GETTING DIRT OF THE BOOTS /SHOES WE USED IT WHILE CAMPING AND WILL USE IT AT THE CARAVAN TOO. WELL WORTH THE MONEY AT £2. 00. ITS ALSO VERY STURDY PLASTIC AND EASILY WASHED .

PS THEY SHOP STILL STOCKS THEM, SAME PRICE

or,   a few metres of Wilton should do the trick.

12700[/snapback]

Ah Ha. We did this as well. We were given some odd bits of carpet by some friends (after they had a new one fitted at home). Cut them to shape and had the edges bound. Very cosy, very clean original carpet. Total cost? £22. 50 When we sell the 'van they might get chucked out.

The bread tray idea is useful when you have a stream running through the awning (Staintondale near Scarborough several Easters ago)

Mike

WE BOUGHT A PLASTIC "FAKE GRASS" LOOKING DOORMAT FROM POUNDSTRETCHERS FOR £2. 00 IT IS GREAT FOR GETTING DIRT OF THE  BOOTS /SHOES WE USED IT WHILE CAMPING AND WILL USE IT AT THE CARAVAN TOO. WELL WORTH THE MONEY  AT £2. 00. ITS ALSO VERY STURDY PLASTIC AND EASILY WASHED .

PS THEY SHOP STILL STOCKS THEM, SAME PRICE[/size][/color]

12788[/snapback]

We use the same mats, they dont kill the grass and get all the muck off of the shoes before entering the awning.

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi all

A word of warning with regards the bread tray bottoms, if used smooth side up they present a hazard when wet, my wife learnt this the hard way, went down hard on her backside!!

We carry two, lay them flat in the motor.

Hymerman

Hi all

A word of warning with regards the bread tray bottoms, if used smooth side up they present a hazard when wet, my wife learnt this the hard way, went down hard on her backside!!

We carry two, lay them flat in the motor.

Hymerman

14168[/snapback]

THANKS FOR THE WARNING, THINK I WILL STICK WITH MY £2 FAKE GRASS MAT LOL

THANKS FOR THE WARNING, THINK I WILL STICK WITH MY £2 FAKE GRASS MAT LOL

14182[/snapback]

Now £1. 60 ish at Aldi

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

We tried the fake grass door mats a couple of years ago and found that in time (a few months) the mat shed all its 'grass'.Maybe ours was of a particularly fine 'grass' and not up to the wear and tear of 'rye' grass. We have now returned to the old habit of taking shoes off before entering the van. :)

Frank