What Towcar ? Please Help

cracar

Hello folks looking for some advice i,m looking for a new towcar needs to be diesel, at least six seats, at the moment i tow a bailey beechcomber 5 berth but will be looking to buy a 6 berth van possibly 2010 so will need a car with a high tow weight what would you guys recommend was looking at the peugeot 807/citreon c8 but have heard reliability problems with these any advice would be appreciated p. s. at the moment we tow with a renault grand scenic dci

Hello folks looking for some advice i,m looking for a new towcar needs to be diesel, at least six seats, at the moment i tow a bailey beechcomber 5 berth but will be looking to buy a 6 berth van possibly 2010 so will need a car with a high tow weight what would you guys recommend was looking at the peugeot 807/citreon c8 but have heard reliability problems with these any advice would be appreciated p. s. at the moment we tow with a renault grand scenic dci

Never driven one but Kia Sedonna seems to get good reviews, 7 seater, diesel, good kerb weight, only downside is frontwheel drive.

Never driven one but Kia Sedonna seems to get good reviews, 7 seater, diesel, good kerb weight, only downside is frontwheel drive.

The Hyundai Santa Fe is, I believe, made in the same factory as the Kia and should give you better mpg figures

The Hyundai Santa Fe is, I believe, made in the same factory as the Kia and should give you better mpg figures

Hyundai own Kia but use separate factories - Hwasung for the Sedona and Ulsan for the Santa Fe - the current Santa Fe is available in 5 or 7-seat versions.

Cracar

I am not a huge fan of 4 x 4's but have you looked at Discoverys they would give you the high kerb weight, seats upto 7, and has diesel engine options? I think Land cruisers and other similar models would offer these benefits also.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I tow with a 2. 8 Pajero auto. it's a brilliant tow car. Cheap tax, heavy on fuel. Turning circle is bad, needs plenty of room. That said cheap to buy and reliable if you find a good one. They are powerful cars.

I was towing my caravan down the M5 and stopped at the services for a break, and I pulled up the hand brake on the caravan wich I never normally do. Yes you've guessed it I pulled off with it still on. One mile further down the M5 a car pulled up along side me and jesterd I had a problem behind. Pulled over on the hard shoulder and saw loads of smoke coming from the nearside wheel :o These cars may be a little to powerful. :rolleyes:

Phil.

Kia Sedona is brilliant.

But one better, if you are not bothered about badge kudos, is the Ssanyong Rodius. Its a Sedona underneath, can tow 2000kgs easily and is the biggest MPV on the market.

Also, if you want it, has a 4 wheel drive version.

Ultimately the perfect towcar in my book.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Thanks for all your replies. Don't really want to go down the 4x4 route as I really need a car which is economical to drive all year as well as touring. Having a look at the Kia's but they look massive. How do you guys cope on the school run? My OH had problems driving a cit synergie!

Met a family in Fleet services towing a 6 berth twin axle Avondale with a 2 litre diesel S-Max. This has 7 seats. They had 2 parents, 2 grandparents and 2 kids in the car plus some luggage and they said it towed like a dream. I had a look at the weights etc and they were right on the limit. I think the S-Max can tow a 1750kg van if that helps.

I think noseweights were originally 80kg but this was upped to 90kg recently.

Edited by Smarty

Having a look at the Kia's but they look massive. How do you guys cope on the school run? My OH had problems driving a cit synergie!

You get used to it. Yes it's big and wide, this helps stability. I do pick and choose parking spaces which are big enough although the sliding doors help.