Amara - Did I Do The Right Thing?

shedpuller

After many years of camping (do you remember those good old days?), and just coming up to early retirement, have a new Amara 380 on order. Spent several years looking at vans before taking the plunge.

We were looking for something small but cumfy, easy to tow for touring about.

Please reassure us we`ve done the right thing!!!!

Shedpuller and Gaffer

After many years of camping (do you remember those good old days?), and just coming up to early retirement, have a new Amara 380 on order. Spent several years looking at vans before taking the plunge.

Shedpuller and Gaffer

12665[/snapback]

I should say so!

Have had an Amara (Wanderer) for two years now and it's the best van I've ever owned!

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Shedpuller

Coachman make great vans. We are on our second Pastiche and I would not go back to the likes of some of the others we have owned. Only drawback is they are heavyish for their size so you need a decent tugger.

I bought a Golden Festival 580 which is an Amara version and I am so glad I bought it as it is a lovely caravan. I had an Elddis Avante before which was nice but no were near the build quality of this caravan. Must agree on it being a bit heavey but no trouble with the Disco pulling it.

Hi best van on the market for the money and the back up is second to none many approved dealers that will do any warranty work if you need any which is vary rare in such a well built van we have owend 3 and waiting for our 4th which is on order :D

Shedpuller and Gaffer

12665[/snapback]

Hi Shedpuller and Gaffer,

We are new to the Coachman fold and have to agree with all the comments of fellow Coachman owners. We have had our Amara 450/2 since last summer and have to say it is the most comfortable and pleasing caravan we have ever owned. We have been caravaning for fifteen years and have had Avondale and Elddis before. Please be reassured you really have done the right thing.

John.

'ampshire 'og

P. S. Like you just taken early retirement, just working part time, very part time.

:rolleyes:

Thanks folks for all your responses, feel a lot better now.

We had spent a couple of years going round shows and dealers before settling on the Amara so it was good to see your views. I suppose I should have been really brave and posted it in the other makers forums, sounds like I`m talking to the converted here. We look forward to getting our Amara 380 on May 1st.

Take your points on weight. Other part of my retirement present arrived yesterday - a Mazda 6 diesel (136). Perhaps a bit over powered for the job but don`t tell the Gaffer, she thinks it was the minimum we could get away with.

Hope to report back on progress of both later in the year.

Shedpuller

Good luck with it Shedpuller. when does the van arrive? Hope to see you on a site or a rally one day

14273[/snapback]

Should arrive May 1st. Timing things to be ready for retirement. Thinking about which clubs to join.

We have one week booked for Whit week near Bridport but will be with rest of family and kids, they will all be in tents while we will be at the posh end of the site with the van. Hope it doesn`t rain too much or we will end up hosting for about 15 assorted kids and adults, all in a 2 berth van!

Then thinking of central France for September, just two of us and peace and quiet. Any recommendations on that area?

Should arrive May 1st. Timing things to be ready for retirement. Thinking about which clubs to join.

We have one week booked for Whit week near Bridport but will be with rest of family and kids, they will all be in tents while we will be at the posh end of the site with the van. Hope it doesn`t rain too much or we will  end up hosting for about 15 assorted kids and adults, all in a 2 berth van!

Then thinking of central France for September, just two of us and peace and quiet. Any recommendations on that area?

15242[/snapback]

Sorry for delay getting back to you. Been laid up a few days after an operation on my foot. We joined the Caravan Club. There are numerous debates on various forums about the merits of each and the attitudes of the wardens. However my partner and I have always found that the CC suits us. We now use their CL's a lot. It does not half keep the cost down! I also joined the Coachman Owners Club and we do the occasional rally with them. We are not ardent every weekend ralliers like some but we enjoy it when work and time permits, and when we can make the venue. We actually ran a rally in our area last year. They are a good friendly crowd. We have made some good friends.

I envy you timing it all for retirement! you will be able to go off when you like! When we retire we aim to do 3 or 4 months round Europe. We go to France 2 or 3 times a year. Where were you thinking of as I can probably give you quite a bit of information as we have been to most areas aprt from Provence or the south coast up to now. You will love it! We are big Francophiles now. We were in a fantastic peaceful site last year in Central France. Chateau de Poinsouze.

If you are going in September I suggest you use Camping Cheques as it makes it very cost effective. I can give you more details if you have not heard of them.

I had better shut up. I am rambling on! Will go and see if I can limp to the van and load some stuff ready for Easter! If I can help with any info let me know.

Hi DavidC,

Hope foot recovers for the season. We have also been busy, a new granddaughter has just arrived and I have not been allowed to play puters for a bit.

" I suggest you use Camping Cheques" - never heard of them! Would appreciate some info.

As to where in France we don`t know where yet. We tend to make up our minds at last minute so no definite plans. General idea is to turn right at Bordeaux, go across Central France and into Switzerland. Have`nt even looked at map yet. I think there are some mountains around there somewhere.

If you have any reccs. would be useful. This is the way we used to do our touring in camping days.

We seem to be getting off the original topic a bit so have put my email address on my profile, if you think reply by email more appropriate. Or should we start a new topic - Drifting Aimlessly Round Europe?

Shedpuller

• 11 months later...

Hi shedpuller,

We love Coachman's, we're on our third one, our current one is an Amara Wanderer 17/4.

We've had this van 2 years and have been really pleased with it. Coachman's are very well built, slightly heavier than some competitors but very solid. I believe Coachman only make a set number of caravans per year rather than increasing production to meet demand, so quality control is very good.

There used to be quite a waiting list for new Coachman's for the above reason, how long did you have to wait for yours?

Although the Amara is at the lower spec end of the Coachman Range they're still very well equipped. We have the Wanderer which has quite a few "extras" on top!

Hope you're enjoying your new van.

Regards,

Baker69

We also have a Coachman Van,we love it, we have had many different makes over the years, but there is something Classy about the Coachman,and it is so comfortable to live in. enjoy yours when it arrives, and let us know what you think when you have had chance to try it out. :D

Shiba. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Thanks folks for all your responses, feel a lot better now.

. ..................Take your points on weight. Other part of my retirement present arrived yesterday - a Mazda 6 diesel (136). Perhaps a bit over powered for the job but don`t tell the Gaffer, she thinks it was the minimum we could get away with.

Hope to report back on progress of both later in the year.

Shedpuller

I tow with a 6 diesel (136) estate, its a cracking tow car. 'overpowered'....dont believe you can be overpowered but lets say you will have a plenty in reserve! enjoy.

:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

We bought an Amara 530/4 in November, her indoors was looking for something cheaper but I suggested spending a little more and we looked at the Amara, that was it job done. I've never had a caravan before, hence it goes in for repair shortly! It was a lovely van before I got into reverse gear (1st time on my own) so new back panel. We've been out 3 times since we bought her and it's a cracking van, the heating is something else too, we're forever turning it down. I'm really pleased we spent that bit extra!

• 2 months later...

- we viewed an Amara 530/4 today and rather hastily decided to buy it! We have previously owned an ABI Dalesman and its scary having something new!

I hate to hijack 'shedpullers' thread - but I have to agree its daunting taking the plunge and buying something totally new.

Hopefully Shedpullers van arried on schedule and he has been out enjoying it. Our new van is second hand and is 3 years old and we hope to collect it next weekend.

Any tips/comments welcome! :D

- we viewed an Amara 530/4 today and rather hastily decided to buy it! We have previously owned an ABI Dalesman and its scary having something new!

I hate to hijack 'shedpullers' thread - but I have to agree its daunting taking the plunge and buying something totally new.

Hopefully Shedpullers van arried on schedule and he has been out enjoying it. Our new van is second hand and is 3 years old and we hope to collect it next weekend.

Any tips/comments welcome! :D

Having just traded in an Amara 580/4 (in Wanderer guise), I can vouch for them wholeheartedly! You will not be dissapointed - don't worry!

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Having just traded in an Amara 580/4 (in Wanderer guise), I can vouch for them wholeheartedly! You will not be dissapointed - don't worry!

Martin W

:) I took delivery of a 2006 VIP 520/4 in late April. Van was delivered with a faulty Alarm system. which to date has not been rectified. I took the van up to Braemar for its first outing and everything worked OK except for the small lockers which could only be opened by opening all four. So much for the claim that everything is checked for 12 hours at the factorybefore delivery.

The build and quality of wood and fittings are excellent and apart from the above faults we are very pleased with the van. :o

:) I took delivery of a 2006 VIP 520/4 in late April. Van was delivered with a faulty Alarm system. which to date has not been rectified. I took the van up to Braemar for its first outing and everything worked OK except for the small lockers which could only be opened by opening all four. So much for the claim that everything is checked for 12 hours at the factorybefore delivery.

The build and quality of wood and fittings are excellent and apart from the above faults we are very pleased with the van. :o

Hi Shiraz,

I can assure you that all the services are checked at the factory - not necessarily the cupboards though! These should have been checked at the PDI. Mine had one of the small cupboards that wouldn't open - simply cured using a bit of logic and a swift 'bend' of the metal curved 'stay' (it was rubbing on the receiver).

In terms of the alarm, I had a problem with mine and rang the manufacturers who have informed me that there is a 'conflict of interests' between it and the status aerial. Try turning the aerial off and setting the alarm then.

Keep the faith

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk