Advice On Wheel Clamps Please

john7

I am trying to sort out which wheel clamp to get. The wheel is 205/70R14 that is limiting the range a lot. We don’t what heavy ones that take for ever to fit and which will make us reluctant to use them. I have found two from Bulldog that will fit the size it’s the Auto Clamp and Ero Clamp. The former is listed as Gold and the latter Silver on the Sold secure site. I would be very grateful of advice as to the merits or not of these, or indeed any others that would fit.

I use the Bulldog Euro clamp. When making my choice I needed to balance price, security and ease of use. I wanted one that had a good Sold Secure rating but not too bulky. The Euro clamp seemed to fit the bill nicely although you must also buy locking wheel bolts (and remember to give the key to your dealer when getting the van serviced!)

Its easy to use and takes just seconds to put on and take off. An occasional squirt of WD40 around the lock and pin helps everything move easily.

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

Guest macSpot

I use a Euro clamp (with locking wheel nuts), but only for short stops, I like it for its convenience.

The rest of the time I use it to suppliment a Bulldog Centaur. I know its a big heavy clamp, but it gives me a bit more confidence than just the Euro clamp on its own and I don't want to put all my faith in on clamp.

MacSpot

PS I alway use a hitch lock as well.

Hi

Euro clamp vote here also, I use the Euro clamp because it is very simple to fit and compact and easy to take with you . As previously stated though Locking wheel nuts should be used or the gits will just take the wheel off!!!!!! :blink:

I use the euro clamp face down in front of the near side wheel so thieves cant get easy access to the lock and I dont have locking nuts but I do have a SAS clamp that is also very fast to fit which goes over one of the nuts. To compliment these I have a rise and clamp wheel clamp on the opposite wheel which is fast to fit and covers all the nuts. I also use 2 hitch locks and a hand brake lock and a sign in the back window that says "IF THIS CARAVAN IS BEING TOWED IT HAS BEEN STOLEN PLEASE CALL THE POLICE"

As you can see I dont take caravan security very seriously! I would recomend to every one to put the Euroclamp upside down though if you undo the lock so it pops out and then lock it again and remove the key all you have to do is push the barrel in at the desired place and then the lock is face down and no chance of a thief driling the lock out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used a Euro clamp for 8 years now with locking wheel nuts fitted. I have an Apache wheel clamp on the near side, mainly for when it is at home rather than in storage. I also have 2 leg locks, with different key combinations, and a hitchlock. You can never be too careful.

I would recommend the Bulldog Centaur or Titan heavy-duty clamps. But remember that even the best quality wheel clamps will probably only stay in place for a few minutes when faced with a determined thief. You should always have as many (all different) security devices as possible in place, with a minimum of a wheel clamp and a hitch lock combined with a good insurance policy!

ATB,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I also use the Titan. Wow, it is a sturdy brute, but at 20KG, it is very heavy!

Perhaps in the future, I might get a Euroclamp or I even quite like the the one inbetween the two Q something, just to make life a little easier when camping. .....I am pretty sure that far fewer vans are stolen from a camp site when theives have to remove awnings etc, than in a storage facility in the middle of the night.