Sign in to follow this  
angus

Caravan `fridge

Don`t know if anyone is interested, bit we popped in to `Go Outdoors` today for some walking gear, and purchased a 3-way 45ltr absorbtion `fridge for £89. 99, down from their usual ( I went and looked a couple of months ago, but £140. 00 was a bit much at the time) £140. 00.

Cheapest I`ve seen them on e-bay recently for new (not recon or `shop-soiled units) was £119. 00, so I`m well happy, it will give me lots of additional beer-chilling capacity, and live happily in the awning.

For some reason it doesn`t appear prominently in their sale literature or in their on-line promo updates, but if you are after one I`d get in quick.

Don`t know if anyone is interested, bit we popped in to `Go Outdoors` today for some walking gear, and purchased a 3-way 45ltr absorbtion `fridge for £89. 99, down from their usual ( I went and looked a couple of months ago, but £140. 00 was a bit much at the time) £140. 00.

Cheapest I`ve seen them on e-bay recently for new (not recon or `shop-soiled units) was £119. 00, so I`m well happy, it will give me lots of additional beer-chilling capacity, and live happily in the awning.

For some reason it doesn`t appear prominently in their sale literature or in their on-line promo updates, but if you are after one I`d get in quick.

I'm looking for a fridge for my yacht. What is a 45 litre absorption fridge and waht is 3 way ?

Where is Go Outdoors ? I haven't heard that name before.

Thanks

. ...... What is a 45 litre absorption fridge and waht is 3 way ?

. ......

You have to be kidding asking that on a caravan forum? . ...... aren't you???? :blink:

You have to be kidding asking that on a caravan forum? . ...... aren't you???? :blink:

And that's helpful in what way?

Novocastrian is an expert on tyres but probably not fridges. :lol:

I've been caravanning for just over one year and I assume 3 way to mean Gas, Mains and Battery but I have no idea what an absorption fridge is.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Edited by Legsmaniac

. ...... but I have no idea what an absorption fridge is.

And no, I'm not kidding.

I wasn't expecting him to know the ins & outs of an absorbtion fridge but having Google as a friend would give you a bloody good start! :D:D

Absorption fridge

After all Barry Norman didn't need to know how a video recorder worked, Clarkson knows sod all about how a car works . .... they just do. :rolleyes::)

B)-->

QUOTE(Andy B @ Dec 28 2008, 12:40 AM) 218480[/snapback]
I wasn't expecting him to know the ins & outs of an absorbtion fridge but having Google as a friend would give you a bloody good start!

Thanks for your help Andy. But there wasn't any real need for you to put yourself to so much trouble. :P

Hmmmmmm. Has Christmas affected some people on this forum lately? The friendliness and helpfulness seem to have gone downhill since Christmas. :rolleyes:

And if Google was the answer, why do we bother having a forum? :P

Edited by Legsmaniac

Only just got back so hope Novocastrian has got the answers they were seeking. Yes, it runs on gas, 12v and 230v, but only draws 7. 5 amps on each, and being an absorpsion unit is virtually silent (no compressors or fans), so you can use it (for instance) in an awning even if it is used for sleeping in without annoying the occupants.

Just unpacked mine and plugged it into give it a `trial cool`, but for the brass seems a very good deal. As I said it was my intention to get one anyway and expected to pay £120. 00 plus.

7. 5 amps on each? Hmmm, what's 7. 5 amps of gas? :lol:

7. 5 amps is rather a lot and would trip many CL hook ups then. :huh:

It'll only be 7. 5 amps on 12v, that's about 90 watts - gas and 230V will use about the same wattage.

On 12v, bear in mind that 7. 5 amps is enough to flatten a 110Ah battery in 9 - 15 hours, depending on how it's charged and how close to totally discharged you go. If you aren't on EHU, gas would need to be used.

Only just got back so hope Novocastrian has got the answers they were seeking. Yes, it runs on gas, 12v and 230v, but only draws 7. 5 amps on each, and being an absorpsion unit is virtually silent (no compressors or fans), so you can use it (for instance) in an awning even if it is used for sleeping in without annoying the occupants.

Just unpacked mine and plugged it into give it a `trial cool`, but for the brass seems a very good deal. As I said it was my intention to get one anyway and expected to pay £120. 00 plus.

Thanks Angus. Reason I was asking is that I need some sort of cooling device for my boat to keep the beers, the bacon and the butter chilled. All I have at the moment is a fitted (by the manufacturer of the yacht) insulated coolbox. I have been reading up on how people have addressed the problem and there seems to be ways in which you can aim for either a chilled cabinet or a freezer cabinet by utilising cooling mechanisms from other fridge types or even fitting mini compressor based systems. I hadn't heard of absorption type units before (but that may just be memory as it was summer when I last looked into this). I thought if the unit you mentioned was effective, it could be adapted to chill the existing coolbox. I hadn't heard of Go Outdoors before as I don't think they are up here and when sopmeone else on this thread helpfully suggested a URL, I couldn't find the fridge (unless it is a different Go Outdoors). However, I will press on and probably come back to the issue when it warms up a bit.

The Go Outdoors website is one I have now bookmarked as they seem to have a good selection of useful goodies at OK prices.

One further question - if you have a fridge in your caravan, why do you have the absorption unit in the awning? Is it just extra capacity you are looking for ?

7. 5 amps on each? Hmmm, what's 7. 5 amps of gas? :lol:

7. 5 amps is rather a lot and would trip many CL hook ups then. :huh:

O. k, hands up, I wasn`t thinking of what I was writing about, and what I did write was garbage :lol:

But now I`ve got the time I`ll put it right, it`s either that or get a strop on and leave :rolleyes:

240v - 0. 33A, 75W, consumption of energy 1. 2kWh/24h

12v - 6. 25A, 75W, consumption of energy 150Ah/24h

Gas - Rated gas power 180W, min gas power 140W, consumption 12. 8g/hr (max), 8. 3g/hr (min)

Hope that helps, if anyone wishes to query the numbers, don`t contact me!

Thanks Angus. Reason I was asking is that I need some sort of cooling device for my boat to keep the beers, the bacon and the butter chilled. All I have at the moment is a fitted (by the manufacturer of the yacht) insulated coolbox. I have been reading up on how people have addressed the problem and there seems to be ways in which you can aim for either a chilled cabinet or a freezer cabinet by utilising cooling mechanisms from other fridge types or even fitting mini compressor based systems. I hadn't heard of absorption type units before (but that may just be memory as it was summer when I last looked into this). I thought if the unit you mentioned was effective, it could be adapted to chill the existing coolbox. I hadn't heard of Go Outdoors before as I don't think they are up here and when sopmeone else on this thread helpfully suggested a URL, I couldn't find the fridge (unless it is a different Go Outdoors). However, I will press on and probably come back to the issue when it warms up a bit.

The Go Outdoors website is one I have now bookmarked as they seem to have a good selection of useful goodies at OK prices.

One further question - if you have a fridge in your caravan, why do you have the absorption unit in the awning? Is it just extra capacity you are looking for ?

Yes, its just extra capacity for fresh veg, beer, bacon, beer, fruit (especially in summer if you pick oodles of fresh raspberries, strawbs etc), beer. And wine.

It also means less trips to stock up on provisions when you could be doing something better with your time.

Thanks Angus. Reason I was asking is that I need some sort of cooling device for my boat to keep the beers, the bacon and the butter chilled. All I have at the moment is a fitted (by the manufacturer of the yacht) insulated coolbox. I have been reading up on how people have addressed the problem and there seems to be ways in which you can aim for either a chilled cabinet or a freezer cabinet by utilising cooling mechanisms from other fridge types or even fitting mini compressor based systems. I hadn't heard of absorption type units before (but that may just be memory as it was summer when I last looked into this). I thought if the unit you mentioned was effective, it could be adapted to chill the existing coolbox.

<Rest snipped>

Hi Novocastrian

A friend of mine was doing his Contessa 32 up to go across the atlantic and looked at efficient fridges and found them to be prohibitively expensive,

I think he said Waeco was the brand of choice and it appeared nothing more than a very efficiently insulated but standard compressor fridge really.

He toyed with buying a 3 way and encasing that in an outer box of high grade insulation to raise the efficiency but without encasing the hot parts!

but really it was the need to gimbal it to keep it within the 6 degrees of upright was what put him off in the end - so he cruised the med and went

ashore more. ..

neil

Compressor fridges are more efficient than the absorption type - a number of motorhomes use them via a 110Ah battery and inverter.

Novocastrian - I recall that gas installations on boats are subject to much more stringent regulation than caravans - they can't have simple drop holes! You'll need to consider your main power source and how frequently it's available.

Compressor fridges are more efficient than the absorption type - a number of motorhomes use them via a 110Ah battery and inverter.

Novocastrian - I recall that gas installations on boats are subject to much more stringent regulation than caravans - they can't have simple drop holes! You'll need to consider your main power source and how frequently it's available.

It is true that you need to be more diligent when using gas on a boat (you can't just go out the door and stand in a field when a problem happens :D ), but it is generally not legislated to any great extent. There are stringent requirements applied to boats that have to meet inland waterway regulations as they have to be certified. Sea going privately owned yachts of the size I have do not. On my Westerly Centaur I am not aware of regulations I have to follow, just good practice. Gas lockers have to be vented of course (to the exterior of the hull)

Main power source is gas (already have it for cooking) and diesel (already have it for engine and Eberspächer blown air heating). Electricity is not so readily available as the boat is sail powered and battery power is needed to start the main engine when motoring.

It is possible to use some sort of heat exchanger that attaches to the hull exterior that can be used for cooling but as I said it is last summer when I last looked at this 'project' and the temperatures never really got to 'must cool the beer' stage in 2008. :lol: