Sign in to follow this  
Brassneck

Opinions On Adria.

After a disasterous 3 months of haggling, let downs and lies we've settled on an Adria Adora 612 DT. This is the 6 berth fixed bed single axle. Last years model was called the UP???? but now its a DT.

But the dilemma i have is this: no-one i know at all has an Adria so getting an opinion first hand on them is difficult.

If i chose a UK chicken hut. ...caravan, i could get opinions galore.

So why should i go for the Adria?

The price is excellent for the van, in fact its "cheap" despite being new. Should that concern me? Theres nothing much in the UK range at the same price except real bottom range stuff.

And one important factor is length. The 612 is a big long van on a single axle, and ive read concerns, but no experience, of how it may tow. Then again ive read the longer draw bar will easily compensate.

So opinions sought, good, bad and the ugly please before we phone the dealer today and confirm the deal.

I have never had one of these but often looked at them as they represent good value for money I think. They never had the exact layout to appeal to me and I thought there washrooms were a bit poor but the rest of the build quality seemed really good.

The other thing that put me off was future trade in prices. I suppose the only way to get an indcation of that is to phone round some dealers offering a 2 year old one as part exchange and see what they offer.

Edited by Wee Jock

We had a Senator Oklamoma series 6 for 18 months and had nothing but trouble with it.

Last October we swapped to the Adria Adiva and it is a really fab van we have had no trouble with it at all it is the best move we made.

We did add a few extras like status, alarm and carpets but it still worked out cheeper than many other vans we looked at.

I also think it is a much more solid built and warm van than the English built vans.

hope this helps

Michelle

Hi Lenny,

I only know of satisfied Adria owners and the only issue that I know of is the poor spare parts waiting time. My mate had an empty firework shell (A Rocket) puncture his adria's roof and it wasn't fixed until June, which was 8 months later if I remember correctly, which wasn't a problem as a temporary repair was carried out, other than that I believe that they're very happy,

Regards,

Ian.

Lenny - I assume you have been inside and had a good luck - one thing that comes up in the Practical Caravan article is that the front seating is on the small side, the single beds also seem on the small side especially the top bunk. The front is a double only, the seats are too short to be singles (unless for quite young children). Storage in the kitchen looks good and size of permanent bed. Shower is a "wet room" just seems to be a curtain to protect toilets etc.

We are quite pleased with our Adria so far, we traded in an Elddis Elusion so can only compare it to an older Brit Van,

The upholstery is poorer in the Adria, we have only used it 3 nights and we have lost some of the buttons off, they are not very well attached.

The standard Truma hot air water heater had to be replaced with a "direct gas" powered Truma heater so we can use it on rallies (from new this is now for sale if anyone wants one)

The van does not have a battery charger as such, the Elddis had an old type Zig unit that looked after the battery automatically, I currently have to plug the Adria in at home and manually charge the battery with a battery charger plugged to the caravan 240 V supply, make sure you fully read the spec of the electrics if you do not want to do this after a rally.

The van is deffo water tight, the first night we had it it rained like only Lancashire rain could.

We are happy now we can rally in it and look forward to a busy year in 2009

Hi Lenny,

I only know of satisfied Adria owners and the only issue that I know of is the poor spare parts waiting time. My mate had an empty firework shell (A Rocket) puncture his adria's roof and it wasn't fixed until June, which was 8 months later if I remember correctly, which wasn't a problem as a temporary repair was carried out, other than that I believe that they're very happy,

Regards,

Ian.

We had to wait over six months to get the roof on the Lunar fixed. So eight months isn't too un reasonable. ......... :D

Hi Lenny,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

I am pretty sure that waiting this length of time for spare parts is unlikely to be Adria's fault. Most spare parts are dispatched within 4 days of Adria receiving an order from an Adria dealership. Where "standard" parts are out of stock, they will normally be delivered in 3-4 weeks. There are some parts - notably furniture parts and aluminium panels - which can take up to 6 weeks as these often need to be manufactured specially.

In the case above, a new roof panel would normally take 4-6 weeks to supply.

Investigation in cases such as the one above normally reveals that the dealer has either not ordered the part(s), or has failed to supply sufficient information to enable Adria to correctly identify requirements.

This does not mean that Adria does not make mistakes - they are as human as the rest of us, but I do believe that the supply of parts is no longer a big issue.

Hello I have had an Adria Adora 532 bought new in 2006 we could have had a choice of any caravan but chose this as it was spacious with a good head height really modern. Love it

i have a adora 612 dt and they are great a brilliant caravan you want to know any more just ask

Just traded in our swift for a adora 612up/dt. we love it. large, spacious, character, any other 612 owners tell me ur thoughts.

Bought our Adora 612 dt new last year and I was concerned about it being that long (7. 99m from hitch to tail) on a single axle but must admit that it tows very well. Interior is maybe not as plush as UK vans but i really didnt want frilly trim on the curtains etc. ..it's a caravan not a tarts bedroom.

Cant really fault the build quality at all, the Polyester outer has to be the easiest cleaning job ever and can be T-cut if required to get scratches out.

Loads of room inside, a proper door for the bedroom and love the hideaway TV unit.

All that and a price that would have any British van dealer foaming at the mouth.

As for resale values, our previous van was an older Adria we bought at 18 months old for £8000, we traded it in after over 2 years for a bit over £6000. Not bad for the amount of times we went away in it.

Burning Question. ..Would I buy another one?

I will NOT be looking for any other make now.

Hi,

We have had our 612DP for a year now from new and it's brill! Tows like a dream, (although I have just traded my Mondeo for a heavier Passat) it's well laid out and comfy. We will not be looking for anything else as it suits us down to the ground.

We've had our 642 UP for a year too - very happy with it. Took Adria nearly a year to ship the right alloy wheels over but we have them now. Just got to get the wheels balanced as the dealer fitted Tyron bands for us - but forgot to balance the wheels as well so we have a number of loose screws right now.

Had a couple of minor niggles - lockers over the kitchen kept flying open in transit resulting in having to replace all the crockery, electric heater kept cutting out (fixed by having a remote sensor fitted) and one bed box surround came apart (fixed by the dealer as were the flying open lockers).

But we are very happy with this Adria and willbe keeping it for quite a while - it is comfortable and worm - as there are usually only two of us plus the dog it is also extremely luxurious!!

A very long van for a single axle but it tows well behind our trusty old Ford Explorer.

We've had our 642 UP for a year too - very happy with it. Took Adria nearly a year to ship the right alloy wheels over but we have them now. Just got to get the wheels balanced as the dealer fitted Tyron bands for us - but forgot to balance the wheels as well so we have a number of loose screws right now.

Had a couple of minor niggles - lockers over the kitchen kept flying open in transit resulting in having to replace all the crockery, electric heater kept cutting out (fixed by having a remote sensor fitted) and one bed box surround came apart (fixed by the dealer as were the flying open lockers).

But we are very happy with this Adria and willbe keeping it for quite a while - it is comfortable and worm - as there are usually only two of us plus the dog it is also extremely luxurious!!

A very long van for a single axle but it tows well behind our trusty old Ford Explorer.

We were wary of buying a slovenian caravan because of stories of long waits for repairs but were reassured that this was a thing of the past. We chose the adria 542DT because it had large triple bunks, suitable for our teenage children and appeared better constructed than the competition-in particular I was shocked by the unfinished softwood that is on show under the Bailley bunks.

A couple of incidents notably trying to tow a heavy caravan up a steep track at Glastonbury with a front wheel drive MPV and trying to tow the same over a waterlogged farmers field have persuaded me to buy a new XC90 -so this has not been a cheap hobby.

Anyway in August we had a "small" accident and managed to slam the rear corner of the van against a tree such that the woodwork on the inside of the van was disrupted. On our return we asked Venture caravans of Daventry (formerly broad lane leisure) to fix it, making it clear that although we were making an insurance claim we would pay for the repairs ourselves if the insurance company would not and asking them to order the parts.

It is now january we have missed our october holiday and our van has been sitting on our drive waiting for venture caravans to get the parts from Adria, some have been sent back because of damage but we have no end in sight to our wait.

Now I have no experience of caravan repair, all I know is that I have a caravan that I bought in May (new from Venture caravans) sitting on my drive that has been out of use for 5 months (and counting). Would I buy another Adria? Probably not.

So my opinion of adria caravans? Well made, well designed, light, easy to tow (particularly with ATC) but, in my view, let down by poor spares supply.

Edited by Adrianswall

We were wary of buying a slovenian caravan because of stories of long waits for repairs but were reassured that this was a thing of the past. We chose the adria 542DT because it had large triple bunks, suitable for our teenage children and appeared better constructed than the competition-in particular I was shocked by the unfinished softwood that is on show under the Bailley bunks.

A couple of incidents notably trying to tow a heavy caravan up a steep track at Glastonbury with a front wheel drive MPV and trying to tow the same over a waterlogged farmers field have persuaded me to buy a new XC90 -so this has not been a cheap hobby.

Anyway in August we had a "small" accident and managed to slam the rear corner of the van against a tree such that the woodwork on the inside of the van was disrupted. On our return we asked Venture caravans of Daventry (formerly broad lane leisure) to fix it, making it clear that although we were making an insurance claim we would pay for the repairs ourselves if the insurance company would not and asking them to order the parts.

It is now january we have missed our october holiday and our van has been sitting on our drive waiting for venture caravans to get the parts from Adria, some have been sent back because of damage but we have no end in sight to our wait.

Now I have no experience of caravan repair, all I know is that I have a caravan that I bought in May (new from Venture caravans) sitting on my drive that has been out of use for 5 months (and counting). Would I buy another Adria? Probably not.

So my opinion of adria caravans? Well made, well designed, light, easy to tow (particularly with ATC) but, in my view, let down by poor spares supply.

Just a brief update:

Caravan still sitting on the drive!

6 months after the accident Venture Caravans (say they) can't get the spares from Adria

So my opinion on Adria. ..............buy a Bailey!

Adria caravan finally fixed. Still a great van and nothing else comes close. The shortage of spares is the most important problem with it- don't let anyone tell you they are a problem of the past. My opinion is only buy one if you can guarantee you won't break it!

Its not just Adria, My old man has been waiting over 6 months for coachman to get there parts sent out.

also we swapped from a Bailey to our Adria. the bailey would of been perfect on the shelf in our shower. far more effective than my sponge :-)

Edited by clairendave

had our 612dp for a yeay and love it no probs tows lovley easy to reverse and the shocks make a diffrence and no more dents or scratches hurrrrrray as kids chuck bikes chairs etc into sides and ou can stand on roof if you whant to wax it.

A brief note from a confirmed Adria fan - we are budget caravanners and have owned a 1980 something Optima 390 followed by a recently purchased 1989 Optima 440B. In a nutshell there are few, if any, UK built caravans of this age which are built to this standard especially with regard to water tightness. They are simple, but the quality of the materials and construction are for European and Scandinavian markets which are more concerned with build quality over frills, chintz and gadgets. It seems from evidence from owners of more modern versions that this basic tradition stil applies.

We have, today, bought our third Adria (542DK) - we LOVE them - there's been a few niggly problems with them, but nothing major. We have used them in very low temperatures and never ever, felt the cold.

Would thoroughly recommend Adria. We have a very good dealer very near us - who have only ever been majorly helpful.

Had an Adria look back at my post on spares and the wife works for a large caravan company " IF YOU WANT ADRIA SPARES THEN CONTACT DIRECT IN SLOVINA" I did and got results

Had an Adria look back at my post on spares and the wife works for a large caravan company " IF YOU WANT ADRIA SPARES THEN CONTACT DIRECT IN SLOVINA" I did and got results