Bailey Pageant Bretagne Condensation

stephenlegg1965

I recently tried out my new series 5 Bailey Pageant Bretagne for the first time last week. To my dismay, I found that the mattresses on the rear fixed bunks were extremely wet in the morning. My 8 and 5 year olds had sleep there and on examination the side access door into the bunk area was soaking wet with large beads of condensation. Matresses taken in house to dry to avoid fungus and mould growth (not ideal on new van)

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? I have read the forum and the earlier post on condensation but experience one fundamental problem. There is no blown heating in the rear of the pageant, in fact only the front and bathroom area. This is rendered useless once the front double bed is made up limiting the airflow from the heating system.

Also, the rear offside access door has no additional interior skin to keep the mattress away from the cold, wet side walls.

Overall the general build quality of my van and that of my close friend is dissapointing with a snag list already sent to Bailey. Both of us purchased and collected the caravans at the same time.

example issues needing invetigation and confirmation:

Condensation (Show Stopper, both caravans)

Paper between double glazed window panels on front offside (both caravans)

Fridge door falling off

Fridge door wooden panel bowing out showing cut edge along top

Window stay for looking window open in cooker area nbot even affixed with screws

Screws stripped out of wood on side dining area

Mould on Remi Roof blind

Badly creaking floor in vacinity of Cooker and fridge

Poor cleaning of interior plastic panels housing lighting fixtures

Electrical problem

Questions must be raised over the outgoing quality control processes of the manufaturer and that of the dealer.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed, the van is currently awaiting collection for investigation by Bailey.

Hi Steve

There is a very similar post further down the list in Caravan Chat. Similar story about condensation in a BAiley with end bunks.

Sounds like a problem Bailey should look at.

Good luck in getting it solved.

Pete

Steve

We picked our Bretagne up in november and have been out twice. I noticed the condensation at the rear after the first night. I tried various ways to reduce it including leaving the rear windows on second catch, hanging a couple of moisture bags and upping the heating. This reduced the amount of condensation but did not stop all of it especially on the rear luggage door. I am thinking of adding an extra heating vent under rear bunk. We have experienced no other problems. Sorry to hear about all your problems. Please let me now what Bailey say about the condensation.

Andy

Guest mr_sheens

if you are using the night catches on the windows and the problem persists, check there are modified base cushions in the rear bunks. these should be smaller so they dont touch the walls. also contact your supplying dealer about the possibility of condensation boards to the rear bunks under bailey`s warranty.

if you are using the night catches on the windows and the problem persists, check there are modified base cushions in the rear bunks. these should be smaller so they dont touch the walls. also contact your supplying dealer about the possibility of condensation boards to the rear bunks under bailey`s warranty.

12569[/snapback]

Thanks for the advise. Bailey are picking the caravan up on Friday. I shall ensure that I put forward this proposal. I didn't try the night catches as it was too cold outside and the children would have got cold backs.

I am also of the opinion that Bailey need to modify the van to fit blown air system into this area to help improve warm dry airflow.

Interesting (and depressing) to see a few more owners having a problem with condensation!

I'm sure theres someone more tech minded than here, but isn't it caused by the caravan walls being constructed from a composite type of material which is effectively solid, hence the problem. Were not older caravans built with a skin on a wooden frame effectively giving a form of cavity????

I shouldn't have thought having more warm air heating is going to solve the problem??

Opening the windows (even minimally) or other things during a cold night surely defeats the object somewhat of having the heating on! Certainly, if we did this on our condensating trip away, my wife would still be moaning about the cold now!!

I recall seeing another thread on another forum about this problem and from memory it was unsolvable. Is this not confirmation that its the "solid" walls that are causing the problem?

Hi

I have a Senator Carolina and did bring up the subject of condensation with Bailey last year, we don't suffer too much with condensation other than on the windows, but I did question why Bailey dont use vent boards which help reduce condensation on the walls. Bailey said they hadn't fitted them for years and would only fit them if they were specifically requested. Maybe some sort of vent board arrangement would work in your situation?

Good luck with Bailey - I had a similar "snag" list last year which was rectified at the factory and although we were dissapointed with the van when we first got it Bailey did rectify each and every fault we showed them and to a very high standard. Just seems a shame they can't get it right first time every time!!

Brian

Interesting (and depressing) to see a few more owners having a problem with condensation! I'm sure theres someone more tech minded than  here, but isn't it caused by the caravan walls being constructed from a composite type of material which is effectively solid, hence the problem. Were not older caravans built with a skin on a wooden frame effectively giving a form of cavity????I shouldn't have thought having more warm air heating is going to solve the problem??Opening the windows (even minimally) or other things during a cold night surely defeats the object somewhat of having the heating on! Certainly, if we did this on our condensating trip away, my wife would still be moaning about the cold now!!

I recall seeing another thread on another forum about this problem and from memory it was unsolvable. Is this not confirmation that its the "solid" walls that are causing the problem?

12642[/snapback]

Modern 'vans are constructed of expanded polystyrene sheet sandwiched between 3mm faced plywood and painted aluminium sheet(or GRP). The insulating properties of this construction(about 25mm thick) exceeds that of the old traditional build with wooden frame and glassfibre(which often slumped to the bottom of panels). But, this is not enough to prevent the inside wall from cooling if it is cold outside and so leading to condensation. There is less ventilation in a modern 'van than earlier builds which exacerbates the problem. Vent boards will, I believe, largely solve the problem by allowing airflow over the walls.

It will be interesting to see if Bailey retro-fit these from the complainents.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Well here's an update, I now have my caravan back from the manufacture who has responded to my problems excellently along with the dealer.

With respect to the condensation in the rear fixed bunk area the action taken to date is:-

1. Fitted condensation boards to along the rear wall of the van.

2. Drilled ventilation holes through the underside of the bunks and fitted plastic fittings to finish off the holes.

3. Retrofitted a blown air vent in the rear of the caravan.

4. No action taken to modify the side access door as it is felt that items 1,2 and 3 will resolve the issue (I have highlighted my reservations on this point but will give their efforts a chance and have agreed to keep the dealer informed).

In relation to all of the other issues the manufacturer has resolved them all to my satisfaction.

Also as a gesture of good will Bailey will pay for the first service FOC at a service point of my choice. To my surprise, on collection I found that Bailey had provided me with a Bailey bowl and chopping board to fit my sink and draining board….nice one!!

I take my hat of to both Ian and Angie and Blazers/Sunnyhaven Caravans in Swansea for managing my concerns with the manufacturer, well done and thanks.

:-)

Nice to see a manufacturer responding in a positive manner for a change!!!!

As this seems to be a problem with this particular model don't you think the manufacturer should do a recall to correct it.

Andy