What Mpg When Solo And Towing

gray1590

Ok as a matter of interest i'd like to know what fuel consumption people honestly get out of there cars .

solo i get 28mpg Average at a constant motorway speed with a heavy foot . 30 mpg if i go easy

solo I get 25mpg average mixed driving too and fro

towing on average i get 19. 5 according to my trip computer

The worst it has done towing on a mainly up hill trip against the wind on a very windy day was 16. 5 mpg :(

so lets see what other people get . ...........

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solo around town I get about 36 mpg. Not really checked it on a long run solo but I reckon it should be in the 40's.

Towing on A roads achieved 25 mpg last week. Again not checked on motorway but will in a couple of weeks when we go to Scotland.

Figures are not accurate cos I don't have an on board computer. Only check them when I remember to re set the trip after filling up.

Pete :)

I get around 42 - 45mpg on a run solo. Not really checked accurately when towing but I reckon it's probably around 30, maybe 32 at the most. These are motorway figures though, it drops when I come off them.

On average solo I get around 25 mpg with a mixture of driving.

On long motorway journeys this can increase to around 28 mpg if I'm light with my right foot.

Towing the fuel consumption dosn't drop that Significantly on a 800 mile trip last summer the car averaged 21 mpg!

Desperado

On average solo I get around 25 mpg with a mixture of driving.

On long motorway journeys this can increase to around 28 mpg if I'm light with my right foot.

Towing the fuel consumption dosn't drop that Significantly on a 800 mile trip last summer the car averaged 21 mpg!

Desperado

12525[/snapback]

You asked to be honest and I will not pretend!

I have a Disco TD5 (chipped) and round town get about 23-24 mpg, motorway solo (light foot) 32ish, heavy foot, 25ish. Towing (normal roads) about 22, motorway (light foot) 25, heavy foot 19mpg.

We also have a Skoda Fabia 1. 2 (petrol) and cannot achieve anything like the claimed 45mpg, more like 34mpg (round town).

I have serious doubts boys and girls about people who claim extrodinary mpg figures, especially when towing - unless you are the units that tailgate lorries using the slipstream? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Solo on a trip up north which was a cross of motorway and minor roads average was 59. 9 for a 230 mile trip, with cruise @ 70-75mph. Going to work which cosists of town and country roads 48. 3 av 39 mph. not checked whilst towing but am going away soon and will let you know.

Regards

Mark

Multipla 1. 9JTD I get 42 - 45 mpg on motorway driving (setting the trip at the start of the journey and reading off the computer mpg) then it averages to 37 round the doors.

I can't remember what it is towing but the average on the computer doesn't drop below 37.

I will check it next trip (beginning of March)

Helen

Well the computer currently says 49. 4 MPG, although recently I have been keeping a log of mileages covered and fuel put in. This works out at 46. 03 MPG since Christmas.

I haven't ever accurately measured my towing MPG, but the computer indicated between 25 and 35 depending upon the terrain.

Accurate figures kept over 160,000 miles solo driven hard all the time 38 MPG towing Folding Camper about 750KG 2200 miles 32 MPG Caravan 800 Miles 24 MPG yes the car has done over 160,000 miles with no significant reduction in performance or fuel consumption but it does use more oil now.

Solo I get 44mpg which includes urban and country.

Towing I get 28mpg when I need to get to where-ever, or 30mpg with a light foot. I don't tail-gate lorries as I prefer the extra safety of maximum visibility when towing. I find the more I can anticipate what's about to happen up the road the smoother I can be on the accelarator, and of course where-ever possible I don't let the car/caravan come to a standstill - but then you all know this anyway.

Overall average over 13k miles 48. 6mpg.

Best 60. 1mpg

Towing 26 to 32 mpg dependant on headwinds and terrain.

The average of the Passat is 1mpg better than my wifes Corsa SXI average over 20k miles. :)

Minimal town driving.

Frank

The MPG figures I have quoted are genuine the 21mpg was a mixture of roads mainly motorways and A roads.

The route took me from my home near Cannock to Kielder in Northumberland across to Aberfoyle (Trossachs) and then down to Bassentwaite (Lake District) and back home via the M6.

My driving style whilst towing is completely different to when I’m solo.

I am extremely cautious with the van in tow where I think I would describe myself as a spirited driver when solo! Hence the little difference between solo and towing figures.

It seems that a number of people with petrol fuelled cars experience a minimal drop in consumption when towing.

Desperado

Multipla 1. 9JTD I get 42 - 45 mpg on motorway driving (setting the trip at the start of the journey and reading off the computer mpg) then it averages to 37 round the doors.

I can't remember what it is towing but the average on the computer doesn't drop below 37.

I will check it next trip (beginning of March)

Helen

12576[/snapback]

My brother has a 1. 9 jtd elx multipla . ..so far he gets 40mpg solo so far country driving and 21 towing with a 24 foot caravan (shipping lenth )

he found it slightly under powered 115bhp and is having it chipped tommorow to 144 bhp for £300

hes only had it two weeks and only towed once so far

Passat 1. 8T

solo average around town 33mpg

long run on motorway 40 mpg.

Towing 20 mpg! Got excited at the weekend going to the NEC when I got 25 mpg towing, must have been a strong tail wind or all downhill from Yorkshire

I have completed just under 8000 miles in my X-Trail since taking delivery in June last year. My best solo economy was a fraction under 40 mpg, mainly on dual carriageway/motorway but also including a little town driving. My average running around economy, often quite short trips, I get between 25 and 28 mpg. Towing averages between 23 and 27 mpg. All mileage and fuel used carefully logged. I would be interested if any of you that quoted computer read outs checked manually that figures given are accurate?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

It's interesting to note the mpg solo and towing but the point has been raised about different driving styles. If I were to drive solo at 60mph on dual carriageways and 50mph on single carriageway roads i'm sure my fuel consumption would be closer to 50mpg if not over it rather than the low 40s I currently achieve on a long distance run. I will have to tryt it someday, just to see!

Incidently, solo mpg doesn't really seem to be affected by load. I did over 2,000 miles solo around France last summer with 6 people in the car and a lot of luggage too for half of it, averaged around 43mpg. This was mainly distance work but did include some town driving.

I always seem to get good mpg on the continent with various vehicles. Is their fuel better? I've yet to tow over there, would like to change my 'van before I do.

According to the trip computer im averaging 46 mpg solo, although this did go up to 49 when i used Castrol GTD magnetex and millers diesel additive, and 30-35mpg towing.

Last time i changed the oil i bought the normal castrol GTD and the fuel consumpion went back down to 46 mpg.

I havent checked the figures manually against the computer as i very rarely top the tank right up, its a big tank i think its 70 litres which is a lot of weight to carry around for no extra gain, although i might top it up and just check the accuracy of the trip next month after i do a service on the car

Oscar

I would be interested if any of you that quoted computer read outs checked manually that figures given are accurate?

David

12652[/snapback]

As you may have noticed on mine, the computer is about 3-4 MPG higher than my calculations.

I don't know how the computer calculates the MPG, but I suspect it is weighted towards the recent performance (perhaps to reflect a more accurate range before fill-up?) because you can get the figures to fall quite quickly if you cane it :o

According to the trip computer im averaging 46 mpg solo, although this did go up to 49 when i used Castrol GTD magnetex and millers diesel additive, and 30-35mpg towing.

Last time i changed the oil i bought the normal castrol GTD and the fuel consumpion went back down to 46 mpg.

I havent checked the figures manually against the computer as i very rarely top the tank right up, its a big tank i think its 70 litres which is a lot of weight to carry around for no extra gain, although i might top it up and just check the accuracy of the trip next month after i do a service on the car

Oscar

12660[/snapback]

That sounds about right, mileage wise,

I always do a service on my 406 a couple of weeks before we go away.

I find that we get a lot better mileage to the gallon going to Scotland, than we do going to Norfolk (and a lot less roundabouts and tractors)

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi

Land Rover Discovery 300 TDI

Average solo mileage mixture of fast A roads and B roads 28-30 mpg

Towing average 19mpg Van weighs in at 1700 kg plus all the kids, Dog and stuff in the car!!

Best ever recorded mpg was a solo trip to Paris Disney were we cruised at 55-60 late at night following friends and the car did 45mpg!!!!!!!! This was calculated by filling up to the brim and then refilling at Calais coming home and worked out from mileage-fuel amount figures.

NEVER REPEATED as that distance at that speed drove me barmy!!!! :D