Bubbling Underneath Shelf

matt

This is just something to watch out for!

On our 2003 Bailey, the underside of one of the shelves that fits above the hob is directly in the firing line from saucepans boiling and to a lesser extent kettles boiling. What happens is the steam given off by saucepan/ kettle starts to cause delamination of the veneer from the underside of the shelf. This manifests itself with the polished wood surface bubbling.

How daft to put a hotplate directly below a cupboard. The old problem of space being of a premium I guess!

You have been warned B)

On our 2003 Bailey, the underside of one of the shelves that fits above the hob is directly in the firing line from saucepans boiling and to a lesser extent kettles boiling. What happens is the steam given off by saucepan/ kettle starts to cause delamination of the veneer from the underside of the shelf. This manifests itself with the polished wood surface bubbling.

How daft to put a hotplate directly below a cupboard. The old problem of space being of a premium I guess!

You have been warned B)

12458[/snapback]

Hi,

Which Bailey have you got?

Cheers

Marc

Got the Ranger 550/6. But any horizonantal veneered shelf in any caravan that is above a hob surely is vulnerable from steam damage. Its only noticable when sitting down and seeing the surface against the light.

You have been warned B)

12458[/snapback]

This is not uncommon on many caravans, and should be addressed at the design stage but. Once you own a caravan with this "feature" ensure that the gas rings are NEVER alight without covering them by a kettle, saucepan etc. , and ALWAYS use saucepan lids where possible.

Not an ideal situation but one that will minimise the problems such as peeling shelf or cupboard trim.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

. ... and if the veneer is all that is delaminating a little Evo-stik will put it right BUT make sure that their are no naked flames and the van is well ventilated when applying the adhesive.

You have been warned B)

12458[/snapback]

Hi

the previous caravan end kitchen model had a thin metal defletor plate above the hob unit, we are considering this option on the new Bailey its one of the points we picked up on before purchasing the van. Its probably best to insert spacers between the metal and the cupboard to stop the transfer of heat from the metal to the cupboard venner.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...