Sign in to follow this  
Barney Rubble

C.c. Advance Booking Service

Again this is evidence of no shows something which I abhor. I quite agree that there are probably a small number of peoplewho use the lack of restriction on the numer of different days that they can book, but to have any real effect on the club this would have to be so substantial that we would already have had statements by the club about it and some sort of action taken.

Hi Bill,

I think that, no matter how small the number of cancellations, the fact remains that they affect other people. I just wonder how much these people are costing us all as an empty pitch is an expensive waste of space to the membership as a whole.

On the other hand people who cancel do allow late bookers the opportunity to get away at the last minute, which we have done twice at Rowntree Park,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

I have actually written to the club on the issue of deposits. Much of their reply confirms what Bill Lord has already said. I get the distinct impression that the Club is concerned that not only would it not change much but it could also alienate a large proportion of members who are perfectly happy with the situation as it is now, me being one of them. It is always difficult to judge how much a limited number of people who express their views on forums such as this represent the views of the majority. I don't know the answer to that but I suspect no one else does either! This year I have had to cancel a number of bookings because of an injured leg. Personally I think it unreasonable, having paid a deposit, to fore go it because of illness. I belong to a Club and to my mind my annual sub is my deposit for the services it offers. So in my view it is not correct to compare the CC with any other commercial organisation which takes deposits, it is a Club. As Bill also suggests taking deposits would have no effect on those able to afford to loose that money. One consequence, and a point I think the Club alludes to is that if people pay a deposit they are less likely to ring and cancel thus not creating any more availability at a particular campsite. In all these threads there is a theme that deposits could be used as a punishment against those that offend. The trouble is that every body is paying the price for that punishment. I would prefer the Club treat late cancellations, without good reason as they do no shows. Somebody mentioned the weather as a reason for cancellation. I find that perfectly reasonable. We have a situation where snow is forecast, are we really expecting people to tow in dangerous conditions just so they don't leave a gap on the campsite!

David

I agree, excellent post.

Hi Bill,

I think that, no matter how small the number of cancellations, the fact remains that they affect other people. I just wonder how much these people are costing us all as an empty pitch is an expensive waste of space to the membership as a whole,

Regards,

Ian.

I agree but how can you legislate for cancellations. The club has said quite clearly that charging deposits led to more no shows than there were after the need for a deposit was removed. So replacing the deposit system is a no go. They say that they actively pursue members who do not show, and have no evidence that they do not, so any suggestion along those lines is a no go.

The clubs ethos is that caravanning should be a free and easy way of life with an acceptance that people go away for a variety of reasons and move on as the feeling takes them. The really good thing about the CC is that it lives up to this, it's policies on cancellations and moving on for whatever reason without loss to the member gives this freedom and is to be applauded.

I use club sites but hate the large overly busy sites in the over popular areas as most sites get in the high season so at those times I stay away. Were the membership as a whole to set out to visit the more out of the way places and sites they would find true havens of peace, I can not remember the last time I was on a site that was full it just does not happen on a lot of sites other than in the very peak season and Bamk holidays ( when I stay away ). I set off a couple of weeks beforehand and book the pitches I would like and yes I watch the weather forecast and if the weather going north is better than the weather going south or wherever I will change my booking. If I am about to travel and the weather makes my journey unpleasant I will postpone it, if I arrive somewhere and the area does not provide what I want or the weather makes it difficult to enjoy an area, I will move on. But it should be noted that the club does not lose out, I move from one part empty site to another part empty site, if I postpone I go a day or two later and arrive home later.

Would you have insisted on visiting the tewkesbury area 15 months ago simply because you had made a booking, would you have stayed in the Tewkesbury area after all those heavy rains, I doubt it and the club makes all of that possible, it enhances the holiday experience by being flexible and hassle free, it's what I enjoy about the club and long may it continue

A hotel is a different kind of commercial organisation and it has no ties at all to it's clients. If I ring up and ask to book a room since it does not know me it needs some way of calling me to account to do this they use a deposit. When I book a club site the club knows me, they already have a handle, if I do not act responsibly they can cancel my membership, so in this instance no deposit is necessary.

I agree, however many hotel chains do not charge anything if you don't turn up so long as you cancel before 4. 00pm on the day of arrival.

the only comment i have to make in all this debate is 'long live the caravan club, take it or leave it, it's well worth every penny we spend. they have their problems along with everyone else, but we'd be all the poor-er (if that's a word) without it.

sue

Bill

Do you know what these mean:- :lol::P:D etc ??

Don't take life too seriously - it is far too short :blink:

Unless I missed it, no one seems to have mentioned the people who book several pitches at once. No, I don't mean block booking several weekends but several sites for the SAME time period. Apparently, this practise has been reported on another forum, some members book a few different sites up and down the country for the very same time period then when that time comes, they can check the weather and decide which one they want to go to, cancelling the rest.

Now if they have to pay a deposit of £25 per site, I'm betting not many will want to book 4 or 5 sites for the same time period, losing 75 to 100 quid.

And why should a deposit system prevent it from being the Freedom of Caravanning like it is now? It's simple - book in advance and you pay a deposit, ensuring you DO have a pitch. Don't book and take a chance, moving from site to site and you take a chance there's a pitch available, no deposit to pay but of course you pay in full just as it is now.

legs,i think you'll find it's actually not possible to do this, and it's another urban myth.

how many people here on this forum actually have a grievance about the booking system? not many. why does everyone get so wound up about all this, don't you have other parts to your lives? does your whole life revolve around the caravan? dear oh dear, forget about the booking system and get on with the rest of your life. get it in perspective for goodness sake.

sue

Unless I missed it, no one seems to have mentioned the people who book several pitches at once. No, I don't mean block booking several weekends but several sites for the SAME time period. Apparently, this practise has been reported on another forum, some members book a few different sites up and down the country for the very same time period then when that time comes, they can check the weather and decide which one they want to go to, cancelling the rest.

CC have stated that this isn't technically possible since the introduction of the on-line booking system, which is linked to site warden's computers.

Does anyone have any evidence of this, either way?

legs,i think you'll find it's actually not possible to do this, and it's another urban myth.

how many people here on this forum actually have a grievance about the booking system? not many. why does everyone get so wound up about all this, don't you have other parts to your lives? does your whole life revolve around the caravan? dear oh dear, forget about the booking system and get on with the rest of your life. get it in perspective for goodness sake.

sue

Sue/Pete? :unsure:

I can't talk for Legsmaniac, but I can talk for myself.

I have a very busy, varied life and my caravanning is a large part of my release from the pressures involved in it.

I don't have the luxury of planning my caravanning breaks 6months to a year in advance and frequently take advantage of last minute windows of opportunity to get away for a few days. That's what caravanning is about for me.

That is the reason I get "wound up" about abuses of the booking system. I really don't think that is losing sight of perspective.

As an example, Rowntree Park is ( or, more correctly, was) one of my favourite sites but it's now over 8 years since I was able to visit it, in spite of the majority of my attempts to book being in low season midweek. My tough luck you may say and I won't argue, but there is always a niggling doubt that I'm losing out often to no shows and booking "manipulators".

I should add that I have no experience of this "mass booking" system or whether it is or isn't possible. Only that I've heard it's what some people have done and do. What about those who book over the phone? Can that defeat the online booking system?

And I have a life, ta. A grand one. We never use Camp Site because we don't agree with the prices. We prefer CL's and very happy with them. No problems booking. Rarely ever any need to book CL's. So I wasn't complaining about the system, just joining in the debate with something I had read about on another forum.

Isn't this what forums are for? Friendly debate and discussion? Differing views and opinions? Why do a few members need to tell us to "get a life" when all we're doing is joining in a friendly discussion? :rolleyes:

CC have stated that this isn't technically possible since the introduction of the on-line booking system, which is linked to site warden's computers.

Does anyone have any evidence of this, either way?

Technically two family members can have seperate memberships as opposed to one family membership of the CC, easier if they don't share the same surname.

That way 2 people can book online using the seperate logins.

To some people the extra cost of the additional membership might seem worth it for the facility.

Edited by Grandpa-Steve

we too have a busy and varied life, and thoroughly enjoy the caravanning part of it, but it is only a part of it. there is so much more out there to enjoy, we prefer not to waste our time ranting and raving about one part of it. some people get so locked on to one small grievance. ........ we really can't be bothered.

you can't book the site you want? then look somewhere else. for some people this business about no-shows and late cancellations has been taken way out of proportion. there is life beyond the caravan club, excellent as it is.

sue

I can not remember the last time I was on a site that was full it just does not happen on a lot of sites other than in the very peak season and Bamk holidays ( when I stay away ).

Hi Bill,

When was the last time you were on a site in the Yorkshire area, never mind in Summer we were scratching about trying to get a pitch in October! We are not choosy apart from we need electricity and a toilet block, surely that's not too much to ask? That's why I'm so passionate about this whole situation as we went, once again, to a site which was under occupied due to cancellations, I did ask!

As always I will always say I like the CC's sites and facilities but the whole system needs to be improved and taking deposits, in my opinion, won't improve things to any great degree,

Regards,

Ian.

Technically two family members can have seperate memberships as opposed to one family membership of the CC, easier if they don't share the same surname.

That way 2 people can book online using the seperate logins.

To some people the extra cost of the additional membership might seem worth it for the facility.

Whilst I accept this is possible surely its only going to be a tiny, tiny minority that do that and almost impossible for the Club to police especially if they use differen addresses.

As an ordinary member who has booked a site online and then ring a warden on a different site he/she can tell you have booked elsewhere from their computer screen and are obliged to insist you cancel the other booking before they will accept another one from you.

David

we too have a busy and varied life, and thoroughly enjoy the caravanning part of it, but it is only a part of it. there is so much more out there to enjoy, we prefer not to waste our time ranting and raving about one part of it. some people get so locked on to one small grievance. ........ we really can't be bothered.

sue

Hi Sue,

You must be bothered enough to post :D .

Seriously, yes I join in this Topic as grievances need to be aired and we do learn from the various posts. I think that it is good lively debate after all anybody who hates the CC so much could leave but I think that members care enough to keep posting.

I see that you're from the North West, well we're over there just after Christmas doing missionary work at Burr's Country Park so go easy on us at passport control on the M62 :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Sue/Pete? :unsure:

I can't talk for Legsmaniac, but I can talk for myself.

I have a very busy, varied life and my caravanning is a large part of my release from the pressures involved in it.

I don't have the luxury of planning my caravanning breaks 6months to a year in advance and frequently take advantage of last minute windows of opportunity to get away for a few days. That's what caravanning is about for me.

That is the reason I get "wound up" about abuses of the booking system. I really don't think that is losing sight of perspective.

As an example, Rowntree Park is ( or, more correctly, was) one of my favourite sites but it's now over 8 years since I was able to visit it, in spite of the majority of my attempts to book being in low season midweek. My tough luck you may say and I won't argue, but there is always a niggling doubt that I'm losing out often to no shows and booking "manipulators".

Rowntree Park isn't an example - it's an extreme case because demand for pitches outstrips supply all year round - in CC terms it's unique in it's never ending demand.

Short notice booking to take advantage of other's cancellations is probably the best way to get in at Rowntree Park.

No shows are a disgrace and should be punished financially - if it's a big problem, it would be ended instantly - if it's just a minute problem it'll stop members whingeing about it.

Rowntree Park isn't an example - it's an extreme case because demand for pitches outstrips supply all year round - in CC terms it's unique in it's never ending demand.

Short notice booking to take advantage of other's cancellations is probably the best way to get in at Rowntree Park.

No shows are a disgrace and should be punished financially - if it's a big problem, it would be ended instantly - if it's just a minute problem it'll stop members whingeing about it.

Tried and failed on quite a few occasions.

I did realise it wasn't the best example as I typed, but, hey. ......! :D

It's almost as bad at Gibson Park, though, if you want a serviced pitch! ;)

I've just checked the "who's posted" for this thread and see that the poster who started it and set the cat amongst the pigeons hasn't posted again!

Do you think he might be a "booking abuser" or a no show? :rolleyes:;):lol::lol:

What I can't understand is there is lot of discusions on forum about no show and deposits, I wonder how many actually write to the club to express their wishes. I bet their is not many.

What I can't understand is there is lot of discusions on forum about no show and deposits, I wonder how many actually write to the club to express their wishes. I bet their is not many.

Yung

If people did and accepted what they were told we would not have half the nonsense that is written on the various forums. I did write in response to a rather vicious thread on another forum and have reported back. Fortunately we have been much better mannered on this forum.

David

the only comment i have to make in all this debate is 'long live the caravan club, take it or leave it, it's well worth every penny we spend. they have their problems along with everyone else, but we'd be all the poor-er (if that's a word) without it.

sue

Hear, Hear. .. a point I myself made very early on in this topic!!

sue

What a wondeful post. . logical, unemotional, practical and down to earth. .. Pete. .. do we share DNA?

Sorry just realised it was Sue posting under the ID of PETE!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by chapmag

I should add that I have no experience of this "mass booking" system or whether it is or isn't possible. Only that I've heard it's what some people have done and do. What about those who book over the phone? Can that defeat the online booking system?

On occasion I have been known to change my plans whilst I have been away, so the first thing to do is to ring the site I wanted to move to and ask if they have vacancies, they check the system and say yes we have vacancies but we can not take your booking until you have cancelled the booking you already have for this night on the site where you are now. I then have to inform the warden where I am that I will be leaving, collect a refund for the nights not being used ( No refund no cancellation possible ) and then ring the site I want to visit agin to confirm my booking and for them to confirm that I no longer have a booking. So yes it is completely impossible to book more than one CC pitch on the same night and it can not be got around by ringing the sites direct.

Hi Bill,

When was the last time you were on a site in the Yorkshire area, never mind in Summer we were scratching about trying to get a pitch in October! We are not choosy apart from we need electricity and a toilet block, surely that's not too much to ask? That's why I'm so passionate about this whole situation as we went, once again, to a site which was under occupied due to cancellations, I did ask!

As always I will always say I like the CC's sites and facilities but the whole system needs to be improved and taking deposits, in my opinion, won't improve things to any great degree,

Regards,

Ian.

I spent a week at West Ayton, Scarborough from Sat September 20th to the Sunday 28th 2008 and there were a considerable number of empty pitches the whole week and both weekends. I went on the web site on the 14th September and booked it.

I spend about 70 nights a year away the vast majority of it on CC sites, but I avoid club sites in July and August, stay at home at easter and Spring bank Holiday but am usually away for mayday. I am quite happy on any site and make little use of the toilet blocks if they are there, I use the showers Anne uses the van shower other than that we never go near the blocks. I prefer electrics for the times when it goes dark early but if they are not there in the summer I do not miss it, the van works just as well on battery, but I must admit that having a site where they will charge a battery is a big plus. When we started I used to want a site with all the facilities but having found one or two really pleasant Cl's I found that if the facilities were not there we did not miss them.

Personally I think that no matter what tinkering the clu made to the booking system it would be hard to make improvements, sure for two or three days a year I am told that getting to the booking system is difficult but that is people who insist upon knowing as soon as booking is possible that the times when they are on holiday that they can go exactly where they want to go. I doubt that anything financially worthwhile could be done about that. I know now where I intend to seek sites this summer but I shall not book anything before february march time and then only the one that covers Mayday, I quite fancy going to Southlands on thr IOW in June but if it booked solid a couple of weeks before I want to go then I shall go elsewhere, the world is my oyster it will give me a chance to try somewhere else that I have never been. Setting off from Rochdale I much prefer to turn right at the M6 and go North it is so much more attractive the further north you go, a couple of times a year I go west into Yorkshire but am happy when I take the only good thing to come out of Yorkshire on the way home. :D