Vendee

gray1590

We had our 1st few days away in our new van, i managed to obtain around 70kg

on the nose, and left on a windy blustery day . my trusty old volvo pulled the van with ease, allthough travelling against the wind for 90 miles the old car only managed to obtain 16. 5 mpg, alot of it uphill, it got 19. 5mpg coming home on a calmer day .

The fixed double bed had ample room, and it was great not having to make up a bed every night like we did in our old van, i didnt like the positioning of the air vent and cowl at the foot of the bed, Im sure there could have been a better place to put it, it was very cold outside and a constant freezing draft from the vent by my feet ment i just had to block it off .

I missed not having a small work top type space in the lounge area to put my tea on without having to put the table up, like i had in my old swift .

overall i loved the spacious lounge area .

The only thing i didnt like was not knowing if the fridge was on when connected to the car . thetford model n. o n110 has no indication light . The fridge door light comes on when door is opened when selected to gas, 240v or caravan 12v but not when plugged into the car 12v. .... has anyone found this or do i have a fault ? Im told by the dealer that the fridge door has an indipendant 12v supply so will come on even if the fridge is not on, and that when connected to the car that the fridge will only work when the engine is running, not that you can tell cos theres no indication and the door light doesnt work when connected to the car . ..any ideas

also my old vovlo 12s socket is wired up the pre 1999 caravan spec so the chargeing line on the car go's to an unused pin on the van 12s plug nto that that matters too much . But while testing pin 6 on the car to check that i had current to the fridge i found no current when ignition off and 12-14v when engine running, which is correct to power the fridge . but when i turned the ignition off 12-13v remained at pin 6 for upto and hour or so after the ignition was turned off.

Is this some intelligent smartcom relay that allows the fridge to operate for a while after the engine is switched off until it drops down to a given voltage say 12v for example, or on a timer ? has anyone tried testing this, or can anyone enlighten me .

getting back to the vendee we were more than pleased with the van overall and allthough it was cold outside once we'd fiddled with the setting on the heater we were warm as toast inside . ... cant wait to get away again . ...

cheers all

Graham

Graham,

Seems like you need to change the wiring on your car to the post 1999 standard. Although you will have 12v on pin 6, you won't have an earth connection on pin 7 which is the return from the fridge, so your fridge will not work. Use thick cable to connect as the fridge takes a bit of power around 9amps. Just check you have 12v on pin 4. Pin 2 is now redundant, as battery charging is done through pin 4 and controlled by a relay in the caravan.

See this link for differences

http://www. volvoclub. org. uk/towbar_electrics. htm

I have a Thetford fridge in my caravan and it is annoying not to have an indicator light showing when 12v power is on. The internal light is fed from the caravan 12v electrics, all of which is switched off by a relay in the caravan when the car engine is started. Incidentally, the Thetford bulbs dont last very long in the fridge. I went through a whole spate of them. I ended up fitting a normal front sidelight bulb, slightly different shape, bit it works OK and so far has not failed.

The 12v supply to the fridge should stop when you switch the ignition off. If not, it can flatten your car battery. Seems like the relay in the car is sticking a bit. A squirt with WD40 or similar, may solve the problem.

Hope this helps

Brian

Graham,

Seems like you need to change the wiring on your car to the post 1999 standard. Although you will have 12v on pin 6, you won't have an earth connection on pin 7 which is the return from the fridge, so your fridge will not work. Use thick cable to connect as the fridge takes a bit of power around 9amps. Just check you have 12v on pin 4. Pin 2 is now redundant, as battery charging is done through pin 4 and controlled by a relay in the caravan.

See this link for differences

http://www. volvoclub. org. uk/towbar_electrics. htm

I have a Thetford fridge in my caravan and it is annoying not to have an indicator light showing when 12v power is on. The internal light is fed from the caravan 12v electrics, all of which is switched off by a relay in the caravan when the car engine is started. Incidentally, the Thetford bulbs dont last very long in the fridge. I went through a whole spate of them. I ended up fitting a normal front sidelight bulb, slightly different shape, bit it works OK and so far has not failed.

The 12v supply to the fridge should stop when you switch the ignition off. If not, it can flatten your car battery. Seems like the relay in the car is sticking a bit. A squirt with WD40 or similar, may solve the problem.

Hope this helps

Brian

12363[/snapback]

hi thanks for the reply the pin 7 is already fitted with an earth, so the fridge should be working ok . the only thing is the charging line is to pin 2 which as you say is redundent on the van if i was to change the charging line from pin 2 to pin 4 then this would no longer be a constant 12v supply as the wire to pin 2 is only live when the engine is on and i would have to disconnect the old wire from pin 4 ?

confusing isnt it . ....

Leave pin 4 "as is" ie. permanent 12v live. Thats the way its intended to be. The switching for battery charging is now done within the caravan. There is no need to disconnect pin 2 or change to pin 4. Its just that pin 2 does not do anything now.

Your fridge should be working but it is difficult to check.

Brian