Condensation

matt

On our first trip away this weekend, it was freezing outside at night so to keep warm whilst sleeping, we kept the fan heater on a low setting all night.

In the morning I was surprised to find that the interior wall behind the end bunks and also the side wall behind the front seating was dripping wet, obviously with condensation. Wet enough to make the bedding that was up against said walls eer a bit wet!

Not too impressed with all this. Our van is a 2003 Bailey Ranger 550/6 (the one with the end bunks) I've read about this problem on a forum before.

Anyone else have severe condensation? Should this be happening? Any remedies? Any thoughts??

Hi Matt

We always keep the windows and roof vents on the night setting and have never had a problem with condensation. We caravan all year round and keep the fire on a low heat during the cold winter months. Hope this helps.

Yossa

Matt

We have been away last week, during the frosts and had a mixture of two adults with either three kids two kids or no kids (we kept loosing them!) and only had very nominal condensation. Kept electric heating on low throughout the night

Matt

We have been away last week, during the frosts and had a mixture of two adults with either three kids two kids or no kids (we kept loosing them!) and only had very nominal condensation.   Kept electric heating on low throughout the night

12326[/snapback]

I have never had a problem with any condensation - I keep the heating on low at night - and have never had any steaming up in the mornings.

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Just been way for the week, van having been laid up for two months. First twenty four hours loads of codensation left the heating on though and after that o more condensation at all. In the past we used to turn the heating off at ight and would always wake up to a van dripping wet in the areas you have described. The cure this time of year seems to be, once the van is warm keep the blon air on low all the time.

Gas heating creates moisture so electric blown air heating through the night should help to avoid the extremes of temperature which can cause condensation.

Our previous van was a Coachman that had vent boards, these stopped the bedding from touching the outside wall. This helped reduce condensation.

Our present Bailey doesn't have vent boards, I don't know why.

Haven't been out in very cold weather in this van yet, so don't know how much difference it will make. .... :huh:

Gas heating should not create moisture in the caravan, as it is totally vented to the outside - unless you have a problem!

Brian

We used our van this weekend ( 2004 Bailey Ranger) too and no probs with condensation except a little on some of the windows. Had the blown air heating on permanently. We also remove all the cushions from the van if we are not using it in winter and have a large bowl of salt to extract moisture from the air - had you taken these precautions before you went away? The thought occurred to me that maybe the van or the cushions were damp before you went away.

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

When we go away in winter, we always use a couple of those moisture mates, which seem to keep most of the condensation at bay.

I used to live in a caravan about 20 years ago when I was a student, and I had a mate that lived in a boat, he changed from a gas fire to a solid fuel fire becasue he was told that gas gives off a moist heat. Either way, after about two weeks he could shut his cupboard doors again!!! Back then most gypsies I saw around had solid fuel fire conversions in their vans.

If you are using the fire on electric. ........well one would assume that this should improve things.

Cheers

Had exactly same trouble with same caravan. Used to resort to turning mattress on its end in the day. Trouble is we all expel moisture when we breath so the trick is to have as much ventilation as possible. I used to open the skylight a little on the basis warm air rises. The back wall of the Ranger was the worst affected, especially on a bright sunny winter morning.

To help dry out in the day I bought a fan heater with thermostat setting and used to put than on the bunk to dry it out. Needed an extension lead to fit from the socket by the TV but taped that to door blind housing.

Apart from this we found Ranger a great van and have only changed because I wanted luxury of fixed bed!

On our first trip away this weekend, it was freezing outside at night so to keep warm whilst sleeping, we kept the fan heater on a low setting  all night.

In the morning I was surprised to find that the interior wall behind the end bunks and also the side wall behind the front seating was dripping wet, obviously with condensation. Wet enough to make the bedding that was up against said walls eer a bit wet!

Not too impressed with all this. Our van is a 2003 Bailey Ranger 550/6 (the one with the end bunks) I've read about this problem on a forum before.

Anyone else have severe condensation? Should this be happening? Any remedies? Any thoughts??

12288[/snapback]

Hi

on the first cold trip in our van we had this problem, it can be a little annoying

we found in cold weather turning the seating or bedding away from the walls (if you can) stops moisture soaking into the seating, we also filled some old tights with catlitter and placed them under seating and it really draws moisture to it, always when cooking have plenty of ventilation, and when we store the van we pull the seating away from the sides as well, hope this helps best regards cb1701.

Guest mr_sheens
On our first trip away this weekend, it was freezing outside at night so to keep warm whilst sleeping, we kept the fan heater on a low setting  all night.

12288[/snapback]

firstly try as others have said, night catches. check to make sure the base cushions have been modified to the smaller size. there should be a gap all the way around to the 3 walls. if problem persists contact your supplying dealer, they should be able to get condensation boards fitted to the rear bunks to help the condensation, but only if you have been using the night catches on the windows, and the problem persists.

Many thanks for the replies everyone.

Next time out we'll try having the windows on the latch and see what happens then :D

12460[/snapback]

You're obviously two hot people!

Mike

Hi All

Sorry if this is a basic or obvious question but what do you all mean as windows and skylights on night settings? We are new to caravanning and have not spent a lot of time away in the van yet.

Thanks Hippo

Archived