Waste Water Pipe Renewal Help

psc3239

We got our first van last year, a 95 Bailey Discovery. One thing i've noticed is how slowly the water drains from the sink and shower, both have separate waste pipes but are narrow bore black corrigated plastic and i suspect that this limits the flow. Is it possible to replace this with the solid white plastic house hold stuff. The only problem i can see is connecting the new pipe to the under part of the plug hole. Anyone done this and can give some advice.

Many thanks Paul

Hi Paul,

Many owners have replaced or modified their caravan waste pipe systems by using domestic size waste pipes. There is more than one size available.

The actual plug hole attachment is usually the one item that it is difficult to change to domestic size.

Caravans produced in the last few years are usually fitted with the grey corrugated waste pipe which is a larger diameter than the black installed in your van. The grey waste pipe obviously requires a different sink/shower outlet to suit the larger diameter.

The grey corrugated pipe will fit inside one of the domestic pipe sizes and a short length is usually left attached to the sink outlet for this reason,as there is not a domestic pipe size that fits the caravan sink outlet direct.

If you come up with a selection of fittings that will do the whole waste system in solid pipe,please post the results. I have managed to replace everything but the sink/shower outlet flexies. :)

Good luck,

Frank

One of the problems is the corrugated piping used. I believe that you can get waste piping which whilst corrugated externally is smooth inside and helps with the flow.

One other point we changed our waste plug holes in the sink for ones which flowed straight down as opposed to at an angle of 90 degrees.

We have re-plumbed our '92 Elddis Cyclone (twin dinette)in 32mm push fit. We fitted straight domestic sink fittings but they were tight for space under the washroom sink. By cutting down a 90' bend it just fitted. Originally we used flexible smooth bore piping to go down through the wardrobe but this has been replaced by a 90' elbow and 2 x 135' bends with rigid pipe. Similar arrangement on the kitchen sink (had to cut the cutlery drawer slightly). The pipe runs from the nearside to offside with the fall from the top of one of the chassis cutouts to the bottom of the cutout on the opposite side. The shower wash basin is plumbed with a tee. The shower-tray outlet uses 6" of the original corrugated pipe allied to 21. 5mm overflow pipe to another tee with a rubber reducer. This enters on the top of the main pipe (otherwise it gets clogged and water can back up). The outlet end of the pipe has a 90' bend on it and, with the use of 2 short sections of pipe and another 90' bend drains directly into the Wastemaster. Even if the rear of the van is flat on the ground because of the slope of the pitch, the waste outlet can be adjusted to drain into the Wastemaster. Furthermore, with the use of another rubber reducer, more overflow piping can be connected to give a permanent drain on sites with your own drain or into a hedge on CLs. Three 2m lenths of overflow piping are clipped to the underside of the 'van. These are connected with short lengths of the corrugated pipe (you'll have plent of this left by now). A stop-end can be fitted to stop spiders nesting whilst in storage. You could add a water trap but we have not bothered and have not had a problem with smells. We used some tube (the sort that play tent frames are made from) to space the U-clamps.

I'm sure it can be adapted to different layouts but make sure you always have a fall and no dips in the system allowing water to stand. Mike

Archived