Tft Tv

Question is, how often have you used the 12v facility and what is the consumption of the tele when it is running on a 12v battery. Will it last 3, 4 or maybe 5 hours before your battery goes flat?

Question is, how often have you used the 12v facility and what is the consumption of the tele when it is running on a 12v battery.   Will it last 3, 4 or maybe 5 hours before your battery goes flat?

12233[/snapback]

Dont know yet, still aint made me mind up yet.

Word of warning.

TFT screens, although a nice little toy, have to be viewed straight on, or you dont get the picture. If you have a laptop, or a flat screen pc, same thing.

I bought a TFT last year, but my van has an L shaped lounge, so we all had to sit on the same side of the cushions to view it, or put up with a "ghosted" picture.

I sold it after 3 weeks, utter tripe for our needs.

Don't go wasting your hard earned money on one unless you are 100 per cent sure it will work in your van for your needs.

Ive got a 15" and 17" widescreen Relisys screen and havent had any problems with either. Both get used in the van off 12v and mains and produce excellant pictures.

Viewing angles are good, and are usually proportional to the cost. The cheaper the screen, the narrower the angles.

At £249 ASDA must be selling at cost

Word of warning.

TFT screens, although a nice little toy, have to be viewed straight on, or you dont get the picture. If you have a laptop, or a flat screen pc, same thing.

I bought a TFT last year, but my van has an L shaped lounge, so we all had to sit on the same side of the cushions to view it, or put up with a "ghosted" picture.

I sold it after 3 weeks, utter tripe for our needs.

Don't go wasting your hard earned money on one unless you are 100 per cent sure it will work in your van for your needs.

13463[/snapback]

There is a difference between TFT, LCD, and Plasma

OR,  look at them working before you buy! try different angles, would'nt go back to a normal TV in the van now.

13511[/snapback]

Like i said in my last line, try first. Im sure some people are happy with TFT screens, and i like them. But for our van, and our layout, they weren't a great idea.

"Don't go wasting your hard earned money on one unless you are 100 per cent sure it will work in your van for your needs"

TFT screen viewing angles aren't necessarily narrow. On laptops they are made deliberately this way, so as to enhance privacy when working on a train for instance. No need for a TV with a TFT screen to have a narrow viewing angle at all.

As for how long it will run on a battery, well look at the power consumption figures for the individual TV and compare it with a traditional CRT TV. I don't know the answer. ..but I would guess a TFT one would last longer. ... after all a laptop will run for 2 or 3 hours off a battery that is about 5% of the size of the leisure battery in your caravan, and that is running a hard drive, DVD etc, as well as a screen. My guess is that you could run the TV all weekend on an 85 A/hr battery with no problems. ..

Just had a look on the back of my 17" but cant find the wattage.

On a weekend rally with no hook up, I run the TV and DVD for the kids in the morning while we shower etc and again at night to keep us amused, for maybe 8 hours. As well as using the lights pumps and other electric bits we come away with the battery about 50% dischared.