Lunar Delta 520/2

oldeng

Hi Oldeng, glad you have got your van back and really hope that everything has finally been sorted out. Ours is back with the dealer for its first service and to sort out a few of the problems we are still having - microwave lose, cooker door, fridge door wont shut, etc etc. We also think there is some dampness under the front window but the dealer seems to think it is just condensation!

Initially they said it would be with them for a week, now they are saying it will be around two weeks, so hopefully we will be 'back on the road' with a fully functioning caravan by early march 2005.

You mentioned about having new window stays in one of your posts. We had problems with the catch on the rear bathroom window. It would not open because it was too long and was sticking behind the window stays. Lunar themselves fixed this problem when they replaced the carpet which was damaged by the leaking water tank - they cut the end of it off!!!!  :blink:

So hopefully, this time we might get something proper done to the van. All at a nice cost of around £150 for a service!

Also, we had dampness in a few areas on our first Lunar and the dealer told us that anything up to 25% would be classed as condensation! When the stain began to show on the back wall, he finally agreed it was dampness! We found it by using a PlasPlug Damp meter. It might not be that accurate but at least it gives an indication that something may need further investigation!

11290[/snapback]

Hi Deeday

We had similar probs to you, doors not fitted correctly, rear bathroom catch to long,dampness under the front window, and the list goes on and on, only simple problems that could have been sorted out if there was a better QC system at Lunars!!!.( I have told them this in a letter and verbally)

Since the van has been back I have kept it heated and I am not getting a reading at all on the plasplug meter, hopefully that might be a good indicator that the damp prob has been sorted. I have photographed all of the probs that I had and I could take photos of the mods that I asked Lunar to do as well, if you would like a copy I could email them to you.

We are looking forward to the season in the van and hopefully it will be trouble free. :D

Regards

Vic

Hi Deeday

We had similar probs to you, doors not fitted correctly, rear bathroom catch to long,dampness under the front window, and the list goes on and on, only simple problems that could have been sorted out if there was a better QC system at Lunars!!!.( I have told them this in a letter and verbally)

Since the van has been back I have kept it heated and I am not getting a reading at all on the plasplug meter, hopefully that might be a good indicator that the damp prob has been sorted. I have photographed all of the probs that I had and I could take photos of the mods that I asked Lunar to do as well, if  you would like a copy I could email them to you.

We are looking forward to the season in the van and hopefully it will be trouble free. :D

Regards

Vic

12123[/snapback]

Hi Oldeng, we collected the van last night and finally got it home. Initial inspection shows that the repairs seem to have been done and everything seems to be working fine! On the journey home the shower door fell off but this was because the dealer had not fastened back. The motor mover is working (a bit) but the van has now develped some quite nasty dents on the side! This is our fault cause we did nt check the van over before leaving the dealer (it was raining so hard we just wanted to get home) I have not even bothered phoning the dealer just yet as I know what they will say - you should have checked the van before leaving as we have not caused them!

Hoping to get away in the van in the coming weeks and this will give us the opportunity to check everything is working as it should be! We also photographed all the faults, including the carpet which was 'swimming' round the van whenthe tank emptied itself.

Hopefully we both now have vans that are usuable and we will be able to get some decent use out of them!

I will keep you all posted of developments!

• 3 months later...

We had a new 520/2 bought Aug. 2002. We also had lots of problems with damp. 1st service kitchin window leaking. Had to have wallboards replaced. 2nd service, leaks at both front side windows, roof where rear panel joins roof panel and kitchin window leaking again!!! This was in addition to creaking floor, microwave cupboard floor bowing under weight of microwave & main door seal not fitting correctly. Wrote to Lunar, who never replyed. Wrote to them again, including copy of first letter. Had a reply not really interested in problem's or my concern's over quality of product.

Found answer to above problems and Lunar's disinterest at Earls Court Show :)

I traded it in for a caravan from another manufacture!!!

Post script to this is when we collected new van and dealer damp tested the Lunar, damp in nearside front window!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Deeday

Had the 520/2 serviced yesterday, no faults found, we are now looking forward to some decent holidays.

Oldeng :D

29654[/snapback]

Glad everything is now ok for you and that you are now getting some 'fun' out of the van. We are still having problems. :(

Just got back from a fantastic trip round Belgium and Holland and are now having problems with a springy floor (near to the fridge area) and on return we have noticed that the roof of the van seems to be very uneaven. We have noticed that since we bought this van, we have had to park it slightly nose down or we end up with big pools of water on the roof but have never had this problem with previous vans. Closer inspection of the roof as revealed a very 'bumpy' roof which is allowing water to gather. Not sure if other vans are like this (as you cant exactly examine the roof very easily) but will have to raise this with the dealer later in the year (dont want to do it at the moment as it will no doubt result in weeks and weeks of no caravan to use).

Bob, out of interest, which van have you replaced your with? Hope you are very happy with this new one and that everything goes well for you and really hope you got a 'decent' trade in price :)

Deeday

We have just come back from 2 weeks with the van in the Cotswolds and nothing fell off or stopped working, so we must have sorted out all the probs apart from one which has been ongoing since the prchase of the van and that is the grill does not grill.

We have been told by the following people that it is ok :-

1) The dealer from whom we purchased the van

2) Lunar Ltd

3) The dealer who serviced the van ( a different company is now looking after the van as the other one was a disaster)

We will try the manufacturer of the oven next.

Sorry to hear that the floor is spongy in your van, how spongy is it?

The roof on our van is not flat either and I park it nose down to avoid water collecting on top, I queried this with Lunar when it went back over the winter and I was informed that the roof was within "their specification", my reply was that if the roof was within their specification then their "specification was not very good".

Regards

oldeng

The floor is just a bit 'bouncy' near to the fridge area, not too bad but definately needs looking at next time it goes in for something to be 'stuck back on'. We did look underneath to see if there was any visable damage etc but the axle and the motor mover are in the way!

We will also mention the roof when we take it back in cause the last one definately did not collect water like this one does, but we will probably be told the same as you have 'within specification'

Glad everything seems to be sorted for you and that you are now getting some pleasure from the van. Its a real shame, cause they are one of the nicest vans on the market, just a shame the quality of the van and the service provided by some of the dealers is certainly not up to scratch!

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know the problems have well and truly started again! We sail to Holland on saturday and guess what, the floor has completely gone! We can only walk on it by putting some plywood down (looks lovely!). The Dealer is coming to look at it tomorrow but says there is nothing he can do till mid October!!

Oh well, another two weeks of discomfort! Wonder what other bits are going to fall off/break while we are away!

Just to let you know the problems have well and truly started again! We sail to Holland on saturday and guess what, the floor has completely gone! We can only walk on it by putting some plywood down (looks lovely!). The Dealer is coming to look at it tomorrow but says there is nothing he can do till mid October!!

Oh well, another two weeks of discomfort! Wonder what other bits are going to fall off/break while we are away!

39189[/snapback]

Deeday

I am sorry to hear of your latest problems that you are having with your van, I must have posted my reply to soon as last week after some rain I found water leaking in at the back of our van in the same spot as last year. it must be coming through the joint that was repaired by Lunar back at their factory in January this year!! :angry:

I do not have any confidence in having the repair done again by Lunar as I will only be faced with another feeble excuse as to why it is leaking again.

One option that I have is to have all the joints stripped by someone who understands what he is doing(if such a person exists in the caravan world)

and have them bonded with Sikaflex 221, as I have read some good reports about this in a motorhome mag.

I hope that you are able to enjoy your trip to Holland even though you might be walking a piece of plywood.

I will keep you informed of what I decide to do with our even if I decide to put a match to it.

Regards

Oldeng :(

Hi  try this repairerTerry Wilson of Epperstone on the east side of Nottingham just repairs caravan bodywork.

Not to put to finer point on it, the quality of this mans work is quite simply. ..breath taking

0115 9664897

39309[/snapback]

Twinaxel

Thanks for your reply, there might be some light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Regards

Oldeng ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have today contacted the Dealer to arrange for the repairs to the floor, it is also springy near to the door and in the washroom. the Dealer came to my house and confirmed that there is definately delamination near to the centre of the van but he mentioned that they would strip the floor and insert a two inch wooden frame which would then hold the floor together!!! Doesnt sound to good to me but I am not technical so will have to take their word that this is the correct way to do it!

I have also listed some other faults - Bed slats constantly jamming which meant single beds during the holiday, panneling has started to seperate from the right hand bed locker, alarm still not working (well it is working, but it just wont stop going off which means we cant turn it on) and the jockey wheel has just disintegrated!!!

We have also wrote a nice long letter to Lunar asking if it is normal to experience all these problems or have we got a 'dodgy' van. Dont know if they will bother replying afte reading your experience but if they dont I am very tempted to go and visit them (they are only about 20 miles away).

So, as soon as I know something more, I will let you all know. and really hope that the dampness problem gets sored Oldeng.