Sat Nav Route Planning Tool

I have found this very useful FREE Shareware on the web. It pairs tomtom with Google Earth/Google Maps to create and check your route and then upload it to the Tomtom.

www. janboersma. nl/gett/index. php

It allows you to plan your route to every fine detail using waypoints, thus fantastic at planning routes when towing a caravan ie avoiding those unsavoury narrow roads.

It is that good that you have to be careful when planning your route particularily if dual carriageways are concerned, as you have to choose the correct side of the road. This is where the zoom function comes in on the google maps/ earth.

Try it.

Mat

(MODS PLEASE WILL YOU CONSIDER IT AS A STICKY)

Astra 2L SRI cdti Sports Tourer 2014

Going Go Pod micro tourer 2015

Towing at 46%

Wow they rerally are trying to catch up with Garmin!!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

after a period of getting familiar with this application, i am likeing it even more.

i downloaded the caravan club sites from their web page and added them to the application as POI's.

i can now chose to show all or anyone on the map (google earth or google maps) and plan my route as i want.

google maps even gives you a birds eye view of the caravan site.

as you save each route you have planned into a folder on your computer, for upload, you can have all your favourite sites with the most acceptible routes to hand.

has no one tried it for themselves yet ?

mat

Astra 2L SRI cdti Sports Tourer 2014

Going Go Pod micro tourer 2015

Towing at 46%

• 2 months later...
Does it work with other Sat Navs or just Tomtom?

Probably not - because it doesn't seem to work with all versions of Tomtom - Mine is a 3rd edition of Tt1 and Tyre tells me a route is downloaded but nothing is received on the unit.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Wish there was a cheap or free update for Nissan built-in systems!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried http://houghi. org/tomtom/. It lets you drag routes around (the way Google Maps does), uses the link that Google Maps creates and lets you convert it into a file that can be saved on the Tom Tom (in the ITN folder).

On the face of it looks even simpler that TYRE (which is very good).

Halli

i downloaded the caravan club sites from their web page and added them to the application as POI's.

i can now chose to show all or anyone on the map (google earth or google maps) and plan my route as i want.

mat

I'm just getting into TYRE and found it useful. However I haven't been able to do what you say ie. get the CC POI's on the map and then plot a route to them. I can plot a route on a map or get the POI's loaded onto a map, but when I get the latter I can't plot a route to them. Could you post an idiots guide?

Thanks.

Halli

Just a word of caution

Some Caravan Club site POIs are located at the site gates or office, and this may be nowhere near a road. Treamble Valley (Cornwall) is like this and with the country lanes around and about your Satnav may not direct you by the best route. It's better to check the map on your Satnav against Google maps and then figure out if you need to adjust the POI.

You can get latitude and logitude coordinates for web based maps HERE

The older I get, the better I used to be

Just a word of caution

Some Caravan Club site POIs are located at the site gates or office, and this may be nowhere near a road. Treamble Valley (Cornwall) is like this and with the country lanes around and about your Satnav may not direct you by the best route. It's better to check the map on your Satnav against Google maps and then figure out if you need to adjust the POI.

You can get latitude and logitude coordinates for web based maps HERE

I use the POIs on my Garmin sat Nav but always use the book for the last part as you say sometimes they are the gates or office points and nowhere near a suitable towing route.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Having messed around with the program I'm really impressed. My only reservation is the - for a caravan - extremely fast "regular" time calculation.

For example using the M1, M25 and M2 my route to Dover shows as 237 miles (I usually clock nearer 250 but it's close!) and the time for that journey is 4hrs and 5mins. That represents an average speed of 58mph which is, I think, optimistic. I would be happy to average that speed in just my car when traffic and likely hold-ups are considered. However - there's nothing to stop me adding a % to accomodate likely delays. A 20% addition gives, in round figures, an average speed of 45mph and journey time of 4hrs 30 mins.

The ability to plan detailed and safe routes is fantastic - not to mention a pre-view of the site including surrounds. How things have changed since we all scribbled directions from a road map onto paper and stuck it to the dashboard!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

• 1 month later...

if your using this with the correct "Truck" or "Caravan" versions of the TomTom devices then when you plan the same route on the TomTom it will account for the speed profiles you have set.

I have been using TYRE now for around 5 years and its brilliant and gets ever more brilliant despite the most recent version of the software that added the addition of adverts. But I guess the coder is fully deserving of some revenue so I have clicked the adverts a few times to pay it forward just a little.

• 9 months later...

Tell me about it. ... The POI's are terrible and practically of no use. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Have you noticed they are bringing out a "super" version that will not be free? Frankly I'm totally satisfied with the current free version.

Although Tyre will load Itineries directly into my TomTom (apparantly not all TomToms though from earlier comment) I usually simply drag them directly into the memory using Explorer.

For my Go 730Tyre appears as an o[ption in TomTom Home as well.

Probably not - because it doesn't seem to work with all versions of Tomtom - Mine is a 3rd edition of Tt1 and Tyre tells me a route is downloaded but nothing is received on the unit.

Tyre is for both TomTom and Garmin.

John - you might try adding the Itineries using Explorer if Tyre can't do it.

Edited by John_b_45

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the "Gold" version (v6 Professional) at the pre-published price.

It has no advertising and is a great product BUT the extra cost over the "middle" of the range version does not seem warranted for me. You are paying mainly for Dutch information/links relevant to bikers. If after 12 months I am asked to pay for an update I will definately go for the lower rated version which has everything I personally want.

Just a warning really to compare versions before purchasing - or stick with the free one and adverts,

It's still the best route planning software around irrespective of the version in my view!

Do's this work with TomTom XXL? plz.

Yes it does.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

• 3 months later...

I'm just getting into TYRE and found it useful. However I haven't been able to do what you say ie. get the CC POI's on the map and then plot a route to them. I can plot a route on a map or get the POI's loaded onto a map, but when I get the latter I can't plot a route to them. Could you post an idiots guide?

Thanks.

Halli

Tried Tyre but there does not seem to be a way of telling it generally to avoid side roads and hills with a caravan?

Any ideas? Have I missed something?

pete

• 5 months later...

It is that good that you have to be careful when planning your route particularily if dual carriageways are concerned, as you have to choose the correct side of the road. This is where the zoom function comes in on the google maps/ earth.

I haven't looked at this yet but my Tom Tom can distinguish between different sides of dual carriageways and motorways. I've already been lead a merry dance on several occasions when asking it go via a certain point and touched the wrong side of the road.

Volvo XC70 towing a Coachman VIP 520

The older I get the better I was

Does it work with other Sat Navs or just Tomtom?

Kev

The site was built for motorcyclists, and I have used it for a few years now. I have a Garmin Zumo 660 sat nav, and it transfers the files to that unit with no problems as a GPX file.

• 3 months later...

I only use the standard Android Nav on my phone but we are picking up our first 'van tomorrow and after seeing some of the roads the nav has taken me down before I dont fancy doing those when towing! Has anyone found something decent to use on phones? I guess I could buy the TomTom app for £25, maybe I have answered my own question there!

1980 Eccles Elan 14 towed by a BMW 525i Touring.

• 1 month later...

Tried to download the application but my virus checker would not allow it so I wont bother.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

What year is your satnav updates?

What year is your satnav updates?

I have a Mercedes 220 CDI AMG SPORT and following closely behind is a sterling 564 Sport 2012, I live in France and spend loads and loads of time in campsites.