New 2005 Provence

Emmajon

We looked at a number of different vans before deciding on the new provence which should be delivered in mid May. Anyone out there got the new van and want to share how well it is going - or not? :rolleyes:

Took delivery of my Provence early October and have been using it since then.

Lovely 'van except for a rear cushion and backrest which is foam filled rather than sprung and rather hard. This opens out to be the mattress of the double bed at the rear and gives the necessary distance between it and the upper bunk if in use according to what I understand are EU regulations!!!! Incidentally, it doesnt need to be opened out and can be used in its folded state but it is quite hard!! We have replaced it with a sprung cushion.

We only use it as a two berth so we can leave the bed made up if we feel lazy!!

Also notice a post re 110 amp battery - I have fitted one as I have also had a Powrtouch motor mover fitted.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

We get our Provence at the end aprill but hoping to get it even earlier. Please keep us informed about the provence van. Any tips or things to watch out for. especially for a newbee caravaner. ..

:D

Picked up my provence today very pleased with it.

I have ordered a powrtouch mover but have been advised to get a 110 amp battery. Can you tell me if the 110 amp battery fits in the caravans battery box with all the connections from both caravan and mover attached to the battery?

If so which make of battery do you recommend?

Hi Raymond

I know the 110ah battery will fit because we asked Viscount Caravans to measure the battery box and the dimensions are 345mm wide, 240mm high and 174mm deep. The battery coming from Viscount measures 345mm wide, 235mm high and 170mm deep. It is a tight fit - but there will be no movement on travelling.

Bought our 110 amp battery from Mendip Caravans, Weston S Mare - no problems fitting it in the Provence even with both sets of cable.

Hi colger23.

We too pick up our Provence next Saturday and are also looking to put a mover on.

Can you please tell me what model you've put on and why you chose that make?

Also how much does the thing weigh?

Do you use a TV in the van, if so whats the space like at the front for this?

From memory it seemed quite small and we're not sure if our combi TV/DVD will fit on it.

I know what you mean about the rear cushions. Did you replace from Baileys and if so would you mind giving me some indication of what this would cost to do?

Many thanks

Davec

Davec - chose the Powrtouch unit based on slow start and 5 year warranty and also had the heavy duty model fitted so that should I upgrade the 'van in the future at least I know the mover can be fitted to a heavier 'van excluding twin axle of course. Not sure of the weight but Im sure Powrtouch can tell you. Weight isnt a particular issue as we use it as a 2 berth.

TV cabinet is fine for a normal 15 inch TV with Satellite box under but I have now installed Sat box and DVD player under front seat with 2 GHz transmitter running off an inverter. Replaced normal 15 inch TV with a LCD unit and 2GHz receiver. When I get another inverter (maybe at the NEC next week) I hope to be able to run the system without mains hookup then I can use more CL sites.

As for the cushion scenario, it was over £300 to replace the cushion and backrest from Bailey!!! One alternative is to use the split cushion at the front of the 'van - all cushions are the same size.

Bought a heavy duty Powrtouch mover at the NEC yesterday I am told the weight is about 37kg. Rep also says it will work Ok on an 85amp battery as does their brochure. Incidentally quoted installation 4 - 6 weeks.

Bought a heavy duty Powrtouch mover at the NEC yesterday I am told the weight is about 37kg.   Rep also says it will work Ok on an 85amp battery as does their brochure.   Incidentally quoted installation 4 - 6 weeks.

12230[/snapback]

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me asking but would it be worth me driving to the NEC- £50 total ( for diesel and the entrance fee for two ) I understand they give a discount there. Would the saving be more than that ?

Appreciate your advice.

Janice and Dave

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me asking but would it be worth me driving to the NEC-  £50 total ( for diesel and the entrance fee for two ) I understand they give a discount  there. Would the saving be more than that ?

Appreciate your advice.

Janice and Dave

12260[/snapback]

Janice and Dave

Basic price they quoted me for the heavy duty was the same as on their web site which was £1025 plus £10 delivery, but as a show offer they included the cross over bar (which I needed) which is usually a £50 extra. I haggled a little as at the G MEX show I was quoted £995 plus delivery and ended up paying all in £1000 (saving approx £85 in total). So probably not worth you going just for this alone, but we are new to caravanning and therefore had a long shopping list.

Hi Mark70,

thanks for your reply, I appreciate your openness about the pricing.

As we've been caravanning for about two years we've gone through the 'pain' of buying all the necessities.

Good luck, I know it takes time and as the industry is a bit of a cartel you do have to shop around to try and get best price.

It makes me laugh sometimes when they quote 'show price'. We went to the Welsh show and best price on some awnings was the same as on the particular suppliers web site!

cheers

Davec

Hi Mark70,

thanks for your reply, I appreciate your openness about the pricing.

As we've been caravanning for about two years we've gone through the 'pain' of buying all the necessities.

Good luck, I know it takes time and as the industry is a bit of a cartel you do have to shop around to try and get best price.

It makes me laugh sometimes when they quote 'show price'. We went to the Welsh show and best price on some awnings was the same as on the particular suppliers web site!

cheers

Davec

12410[/snapback]

I have to agree re show prices - having been to 2 shows it clearly pays to research first. I have already posted elsewhere on the forum that at the NEC I was looking to purchase some accessories, having seen some good prices at the G MEX show but I walked away when prices were 25% higher for the same products from the same company just a few weeks later!

• 3 weeks later...

We have been told the Provence will be ready in mid April now - not mid May. Does anyone have a PDI check list. I have seen people post things to look out for - has anyone got a list of things to check? It would be really useful as we have never owned a new van a before but can appreciate that just because it has come straight from the manufacturers doesn't mean there might be a few problems - can people tell me what they have found and then I will know what to look out for. I know if I don't take a list with me I will be soooooo excited :P on the day that I won't do it properly. :unsure:

Thanks

Emma

Emma,

great news about the van. You will be pleased with it. We picked up our new Provence two weeks ago and it really is an ideal layout.

As for PDI checks, this has been covered before on this forum.

The thing is to take your time and look all round the van for the obvious things and then try to look for some of the not so obvious.

When we picked ours up it was fully connected up to electric, both mains and battery so we could check everything from this aspect. Gas and water were also connected and we could check all heating, fridge, pump, taps, shower etc.

We found a couple of things. There was a big scuff/scratch to the top of the fridge door. The dealer whipped it off and changed with another van on site so as to not delay us with ordering a replacement.

Around one of the windows the rubber seal was not secured properly. Again they rectified there and then.

Look for door misalignment, screws missing from widow stays. Check the upholstery for marks, cuts, sometimes they can get carried away with scissors/stanley knife when taking off the plastic!

All in all we probably took an hour and 15 mins to go over everything, so allow yourself enough time. If the dealers worth his salt he/she should go through everything with you anyhow.

Good luck

Davec.

My Provence is due in sometime around Easter, I had ordered the standard powrtouch for a Ranger 500/5 at the NEC (£850 fitted), rung Sales this week and have upgraded to a heavy duty model for £950 (including powerbar and fitting). I was a bit concerned re foam filled bunk, but having virtually taken apart the demonstation van, I think it will be alright as a bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Emmajon

Just been away for easter in our new van, cant find any faults everything appeared to work fine. Beds very comfee. shower fine, toilet and basin a wee bit cramped but then i'm 6'4 and about 16st so that maybe why. All in all a very nice van. Cant wait for next trip.

cheers

suziain

Hi Emmajon

Just been away for easter in our new van, cant find any faults everything appeared to work fine. Beds very comfee. shower fine, toilet and basin a wee bit cramped but then i'm 6'4 and about 16st so that maybe why. All in all a very nice van. Cant wait for next trip.

cheers

suziain

18041[/snapback]

Hi,

We too went away Easter for the first time in our new Provence. Everything worked well. Lovely hot water, good shower, loads of cupboard space, blown air heating very cosy. We made up the bed at the end dinette and left it as a fixed bed. Put a double quilt on top of the cushions (which we turn over) then double sleeping bag - very comfortable.

As you said, very nice van :)

Janice & dave.

We too went away over easter. Weather a bit of a disaster but caravan come up trumps. Our pageant pulled a dream with our 2,0litre turbo saab. If I could have any complaints it would probably be the cramped bathroom.

Apart from that i'm over the moon. :rolleyes: