Bathroom Lights

PhilB

Hi Folks,

One of the lamps in the bathroom of the van has gone and I'm just wondering what's involved in replacing it. It is a halogen unit, circular and set into a grp unit that fits over the basin. Do I have to take the whole grp unit down or can the lamp units be removed individually - if so how because I can't make it budge?

MTIA

Phil

Hi Phil,

Is it a about 8" in diameter with a frosted and slightly domed lens. If so the lens can be removed by flexing it slight from the circumference. It is located by 3 or 4 lugs on the lens which fit into slots in the surround. If you look closely you may be able to see them. :)

On second thoughts I am considering the ceiling light. :unsure:

Frank

Hi Phil,

Is it a about 8" in diameter with a frosted and slightly domed lens. If so the lens can be removed by flexing it slight from the circumference. It is located by 3 or 4 lugs on the lens which fit into slots in the surround. If you look closely you may be able to see them. :)

On second thoughts I am considering  the ceiling light. :unsure:

Frank

12034[/snapback]

Hi Frank,

Yeah that's the ceiling light and I'm alright with those. This one is a small unit set back with a chrome bezel, the lens is a couple of inches across. The grp box covers the whole width of the bathroom and has two of these little critters in it. There's only a couple of screws holding the thing up but I just wondered if there was a way of replacing the bulb without removing the whole thing.

Cheers

Phil

Have you tried to turn the bezels about a half turn? They should then drop/lift off and the you can access the bulb - dont touch the surface of the new bulb with you bare hand as this can transfer grease to them and damages the bulbs.

I have these things in our apartment kitchen.

Have you tried to turn the bezels about a half turn? They should then drop/lift off and the you can access the bulb - dont touch the surface of the new bulb with you bare hand as this can transfer grease to them and damages the bulbs.

I have these things in our apartment kitchen.

12045[/snapback]

I have tried but without success, I must admit though that I didn't try too hard, I'd be surprised if they didn't open somehow like this but I thought I'd ask.

Cheers

Phil

I have tried but without success, I must admit though that I didn't try too hard, I'd be surprised if they didn't open somehow like this but I thought I'd ask.

Cheers

Phil

12048[/snapback]

Some are just clipped on and can be prised off - without a photo it's difficult to tell.

Mike

Some are just clipped on and can be prised off - without a photo it's difficult to tell.

Mike

12078[/snapback]

A good point Mike, from what I can remember the bezel is proud of the fixing box by about a quarter inch and there is no evidence of any lugs or fixings so I guess it could even be a screw fitting. The fitting box has two very obvious screws with white covers that go up into the ceiling but part of it is screwed in under the shower curtain rail which would suggest that taking the box down isn't the right approach. There is definitely a halogen bulb in the unit as opposed to it being a sealed unit like some low voltage downlighters.

I'm off to Harringtons tomorrow to get some new bulbs so will ask them but you would have thought that this is the sort of thing that should be in the handbook.

Phil

OK for those who may be interested, I found that they need to be prised off which wasn't easy, I ended up taking the whole thing out and attacking it with a screwdriver - may look for some easy to change replacements.

Phil

Archived