Do The Caravan Club Discriminate Against Families?

disagree if you dare !!

Happy to disagree against anyone me!!!! ;-) May not always win but i am prepared to stand up for myself and my family.

Still totally disagree with a number of people who have posted but its a free world and we are all entitled to our own opinions. Its great that we can have a debate and hopefully one day we can have a chat over a beer (but not after 11pm Lol)

I still think that families are discriminated against. I totally agree that rules are required but surely there has to be an element of common sense as well.

Would love to hear the opinoions of someone else who has a young sporty family. Maybe i am being unreasonable!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the strict bedtime comment, most sites have a noise cut off, either 10pm or 11pm, which I totally agree with, if you want to have a chat, use the caravan, don't sit in the awning til all hours.

A site full of caravans isn't a place for people ragging through at more than the speed limit. Don't confuse a tort with a crime, in this case manslaughter! People seem to look for trouble.

Oh and I do disagree, shoot me. ;)

I agree with what you say.

to defend us though we were tucked up in bed by 1130pm. I wish i had saved a copy of the Blackwall info leaflet. We read it and re read it and there is no note of any cut off time for noise.

Ok so do you think there shouldn't be a cut off at night for noise? Sorry but when I have driven for 5 hours, I do not want to listen to somebody "chewing the fat" at midnight, call me a party pooper.

I have a young sporty family, but I too do not allow the boys to play with balls of any description, anywhere near 'vans, most sites we go on have a field for ball sports. Mainly for the fact I do not want people whinging so do give my boys strict guidelines. The most we do is boules! We use our bikes, walk etc,

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

I totally agree that rules are required but surely there has to be an element of common sense as well.

I totally agree but sometimes common sense is not so common :D, in fact it can be quite rare. By the way I'm up for the beer and you may find that sense, common or otherwise, is a stranger to my brain and speech :lol:,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

boules are heavier than plastic golf balls and what about the stones that they throw up?

cut off of 11 is reasonable i would suggest. forgive me for not checking my watch every 5 minutes!! we were 5 minutes later than this and we did close up for the night after being asked to. It was more the fact that it went further the following day with the wardens etc!

Is there a time when someone should be able to walk past in a morning with an aqua roll as i was woken up by one this morning! You will be pleased to know that i did not complain!!!! :-)

We take bikes for the kids but i wont allow my kids to ride around on bikes on site due to the speed of a number of drivers!

Edited by brightredrover
I totally agree but sometimes common sense is not so common :D, in fact it can be quite rare. By the way I'm up for the beer and you may find that sense, common or otherwise, is a stranger to my brain and speech :lol:,

Regards,

Ian.

:lol: sounds good to me!!!!

I didn't actually say where I played with boules, did I?

Nobody said you should be checking your watch every 5 minutes.

Actually, if you read my earlier post, although I agree with noise curfews, I did have some sympathy for your situation with the warden and the person moving.

Sorry but campsite dwellers do wake up early, perhaps they wanted an early getaway, as they lived some distance away?

Edited by Elephant

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

The sarcasm was unintentional and i did read your earlier post and appreciate your comments. Have to say we love to play boules, think it is a shame that more sites dont have pitches.

your last point intrigues me however. regardless of a reason, whether someone is kept awake at 1105 ot 0705, should that really make a difference? Me and my wife get up early every day of the week so when we go away for the weekend it is nice to have a lie in. If i have to be quiet at 11pm then am i wrong to expect that others should before 8am?

Not saying that i am right but just interested in the opinion of others.

I can see i am in the minority here though ;)

I agree with what you say.

to defend us though we were tucked up in bed by 1130pm. I wish i had saved a copy of the Blackwall info leaflet. We read it and re read it and there is no note of any cut off time for noise.

Hi Brightredrover

Late into this one but the leaflet has no need to flag the '11 o'clock rule' as that is a general club rule. ..

I'm guessing that you'd have been later in bed if you hadn't been reminded that awnings aren't soundproof.

Rules are needed for all members to stop thoughtlessness spoiling the majorities enjoyment.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

The most we do is boules!

Hi Sharon,

A few years ago we were at The Great Yorkshire Showground CC site and there was a bit of a commotion because some jobsworth member had a word with children about playing ball games as they were playing Boules. The children's parents got involved and it was sweet when another member wandered over and told the whining sod that it was a Boule pitch they were playing on :D . So what exactly is a Boule pitch for if not to play Boule on?

By the way the pitch (pit?) was next to our 'van and they were not doing anything but enjoying themselves, without affecting anybody else, so why did he think that he should tell the children off?

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Personally i dont think you need to list the 3 points. I HATE using sites, and in 11 years can count on one hand the times i have. The attitude of lots of members towards younger families can be disgraceful. Then again so can my language as a return, but it solves nothing.

There isnt a club in the UK that has the management and structure in place of the caravan club but aimed more at families with children. Thats why we rally, most of them cater for kids as well as adults.

I would have to disagree. I have two children aged 4 and 5 and have never had an issue on any club site I have visited. I wonder if the problem is more an issue with those children approaching their teens. .......

Kia Carens 2. 0 GS CRDi / 2009 Compass Corona Club 556

I too get disturbed early morning, hence the reason for earplugs which is a byproduct of years of shift working.

I do take your point about early mornings, and although I am a mother, I get bloody annoyed when kids are up and down on their bikes at 0700hrs and people make a lot of noise un necessarily.

However, especially if people are staying in tents, it is very, very difficult to keep small people quiet in the morning, so do cut them a bit of slack.

Personally I stick to the no noise between 2300hrs - 0800hrs.

Hi Ian, I get the impression some miserable sods like whinging for whinging sake!

Back on thread, I do think that CC sites could be a hell of a lot family friendly.

Edited by Elephant

Hi Brightredrover

Late into this one but the leaflet has no need to flag the '11 o'clock rule' as that is a general club rule. ..

I'm guessing that you'd have been later in bed if you hadn't been reminded that awnings aren't soundproof.

Rules are needed for all members to stop thoughtlessness spoiling the majorities enjoyment.

neil

Hi Neil.

fair comment, yes it probably did need a nudge to tell us to go to bed but honestly we were not being noisy. I can only think that she was sat with a glass to the wall to hear us as no one else heard us (and we did ask around)

My post was more about finding out if anyone else thought that the caravan club sites were not geared up for people with younger families. The issues relating to the kids playing doesnt sit comfortably with me. Surely we should be encouraging kids to play outside as long as they are safe (and of course away from peoples caravans!!!)

I positively encourage my kids to play outside even resorting to locking the caravan ;)

I encourage them to cycle (no doubt some miserable gits do not believe there is a place for bikes on sites), have fun (no doubt this should be banned) and laugh a lot (something that some people need to do more of) :D:D

I didn't actually say where I played with boules, did I?

Nobody said you should be checking your watch every 5 minutes.

Actually, if you read my earlier post, although I agree with noise curfews, I did have some sympathy for your situation with the warden and the person moving.

Sorry but campsite dwellers do wake up early, perhaps they wanted an early getaway, as they lived some distance away?

So, where do you play boules then? :lol:

I know quite a lot of campsite dwellers how enjoy going to bed late and getting up late (Dipsy and Eric) Why should the early to bed early to rise brigade hold the morale high ground? It's supposed to be a relaxing sort of hobby ours.

Is it right that perhaps just one caravanner wants an early start that it's ok to wake everyone else along his route out of the site?

If you dont mind me saying the vast majority of Brits would be polite to a confrontational question such as this !!!

Regards

NRF

Again a fair comment and i would have asked the same question if i was looking in from the outside!

on the saturday we got chatting to a few of the caravan owners opposite and asked them if they had heard anything and they said they didnt. Maybe it is as you say and its a case of not wanting to offend but again i was commenting on more the bigger picture than this one incident.

We don't mind night noise as long as it is non-threatening and not music / bad language etc.

We do hate people clanging their steel poles when dropping their awning at 08:00 in the morning. Or trundling their aquaroll over the gravel road at 06:00!

Who is right - the late birds or the early birds?

Scarlet 'till I die. ...

My post was more about finding out if anyone else thought that the caravan club sites were not geared up for people with younger families. The issues relating to the kids playing doesnt sit comfortably with me. Surely we should be encouraging kids to play outside as long as they are safe (and of course away from peoples caravans!!!)

Hi,

I think should look at the CC sites and ask yourself how many actually have facilities for children? I suspect that there are not many in the Northern region, where we mainly go, which should answer your question.

Having said that I think that the CC are addresing this issue though it will take time to erect play areas,

Regards,

Ian.

We don't mind night noise as long as it is non-threatening and not music / bad language etc.

We do hate people clanging their steel poles when dropping their awning at 08:00 in the morning. Or trundling their aquaroll over the gravel road at 06:00!

Who is right - the late birds or the early birds?

It's not a question on who has the most right to make noise, it's a question of courtesy and consideration for others.

Personally I find un necessary noise at night and early morning a right royal pain in the a**e.

Hi,

I think should look at the CC sites and ask yourself how many actually have facilities for children? I suspect that there are not many in the Northern region, where we mainly go, which should answer your question.

Having said that I think that the CC are addresing this issue though it will take time to erect play areas,

Regards,

Ian.

We spend around 35 nights each year on the larger commercial sites of southern France and Northeren Spain. Ii think that the CC could learn a great deal from some of these sites. Maybe they could look into a few of the following for children.

Play areas at ALL CC Sites

Rental of games from the wardens office

Ball game areas

Organising kids / family events. How hard would it be for a warden to organise a group game of cricket or a bike ride or walk on a saturday afternoon?

Again this is a club that needs to be in tune with what ALL of its member groups want.

I look forward to the future if the cc are addressing the issue and hope that one day i will be invited to a focus group meeting!!!!!

I find the C&CC sites more family orientated, mostly with play areas, and are more relaxed.

I do think that the CC should be more family friendly, after all the kids of today are the potential CC members of tomorrow!

Just spent a week on a CL. 2 acre field and we were the only ones there.

The only problems were the owls at night and the cows mooing in the morning.

I think the Caravan Club should introduce single caravan CLs then no one would be upset. That's except those who want to go away with friends, kids and dogs.

Happy Caravanning, having spent 92 nights away this year, all on CLs and not one upset.

You can keep your CC Sites with wardens and rules.

Because the modern caravanning fraternity is so diverse perhaps there is no answer.

Possibly you are right and there is no answer but is it really that diverse. There is a lot of common ground and we all agree that the quality of the sites and pitches are excellent.

Most of the CC sites have a fair bit of space either within the grounds or adjoining so would it be that difficult to put in extra parks or ball game areas? Vans with families could then pitch up close to this area. The site leaflet could even say family recommended areas!!!

the issue of an 11pm curfew is one that cannot be resolved. Despite the comments on this thread, i do happen to agree with that even if i have been known to miss the deadline slightly!!!!