New Vw Passat

JONO

Has anybody read or heard if VAG/VW are intending to improve the clutch mechanism on the new Passat model about to be released?

Hopefully, the Dual Mass Flywheel arrangement is going to be addressed to overcome the caravanners nightmare of hot smelly clutches (which a lot of owners, me included have experienced).

JONO

Hi Jono,

There is plenty of information on the net about the B6 Passat,but I have not seen any mention of clutch updates. They reckon that the best option will be the new DSG gearbox which is basically a cross between an automatic and the old preselector system.

The hot smelly clutches are no longer the preserve of VAG, judging by some of the posts.

Engines options in diesel look like 105,140 and 170PS.

I don't like the looks of it,reminds me of the current series 5 BMW,a bit like a B5. 5 on steroids. No doubt it will grow on me,looks aren't everything. :)

How it will perform as a tug is an unknown,Brian I, has mentioned that VW are offering a load sensing towing attachment for the Passat. Exactly what that will tell you I don't know.

Here's a link to the Vortex site:-

http://www. vwvortex. com/artman/publish/vol. ..icle_1108. shtml

Cheers,

frank

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jono,

I've just bought a car like yours and have a Ranger 470/4.

I've not had a towbar fitted yet so am unaware there are any clutch slip problems

with the 130pd Passat.

In your experience would you regard the problem as major or minor?

I used to tow the Ranger with a 75bhp 1. 9TD Passat estate (which struggled) but never had clutch problems even with 130+k on the clock. :mellow:

Hi Harvester,

What model year have you bought?

Some VAG owners have had hot clutch problems when manoeuvring and particularly reversing a caravan. Keep the revs down when manoeuvring and setting off and you should be OK. This mainly affects TDIs and 1. 8ts.

Some USA market models have upgraded flywheels and clutches from 2004. I am still trying to get information from my local dealer regarding UK vehicles.

This problem is not unique to VAG as similar occurences have been noted with other manufacturers products.

Frank

Hello Frank,

It's a 51 plate registered 2002, done just under 70k.

Having read yours other posts I see low speed manouvering,reversing and traction control can all contribute to clutch problems. So now I'm aware, I know what to avoid. B)

Harvester

Hello Frank,

It's a 51 plate registered 2002, done just under 70k.

Having read yours other posts I see low speed manouvering,reversing and traction control can all contribute to clutch problems. So now I'm aware, I know what to avoid. B)

Harvester

14359[/snapback]

Hi Harvester,

The traction control connection during manoeuvring was just a thought as I have no proof and have had no feedback on it. I certainly would not switch ASP off while towing. :)

Frank

Hi Harvister

Sorry for delay in replying but have been rather busy the last few days.

The Passat 130 TDI is the best tow car I ave had todate(Had Vauxhall,s Fords etc) However the clutch does give me some concern when reversing with the van on the back. On two occassions at low revs I have had both a strong smell and smoke from the engine bay. Up hills, on a fast long runs etc no problems at all.

The seed of doubt however is in my mind so much so that I am going to have a mover fitted to the van so all reverse positioning on sites can by carried out independantly of the car. An expensive solution I know for piece of mind but one I am undertaking.

JONO