Passat 130 Query

rascal

Delighted with my Passat 130 estate, catch pigeons with ease, and group 15. My neighbour has a Lexus GS 300, which has performance that I can only describe as frightening, and that is group 12. My insurance, small town, is £550, and his is £350 from Lexus insurance. I'm worried now that I'm missing something. Either the group rating for the Passat is wrong, or is my handbrake catching?.

Hi Rascal,

Our Passat is a 2003 PD130 SE saloon. It is insured with Churchill as Group 12. Last years premium was £273 and the renewal next month is quoted as £284. 55. I shall be shopping around as usual. Age is obviously a factor as well as post code. We live in the sticks and are both 2x30 years.

Your premium certainly seems high but maybe your age is low. :)

Frank

Hi Rascal,

Our Passat is a 2003 PD130 SE saloon. It is insured with Churchill as Group 12. Last years premium was £273 and the renewal next month is quoted as £284. 55. I shall be shopping around as usual. Age is obviously a factor as well as post code. We live in the sticks and are both 2x30 years.

Your premium certainly seems high but maybe your age is low. :)

Frank

11833[/snapback]

Thanks for reply, Frank. Age is the other way, old codger, but so is my neighbour with his Lexus. Top Gear mag quotes Passat 130 as group 15, and yours is insred as group 12, hmmm

Hi Rascal,

Less of your lip sonny. There are many advantages to being in the autumn of life,no mortgage,no kids,more experience and higher disposable income,to name a few. I haven't found any disadvantages yet! :)

Anyway,Carpages lists our Passat as group 12. Check on yours,heres the link:-

http://www. carpages. co. uk/guide/volkswagen. ..i-(130)-4dr. asp

Cheers,

Frank

Hi Rascal

As Frank indicates my Passat 130PD TDI (2003 Model) is quoted as Group 12 by my Insurance (Halifax). The premium (just renewed ) is £288 for the wife and I with protected NCB. Note however I am in the same senior club as Frank.

JONO

Ps: Best of luck at finding a suitable premium, my daughter who is 34 also has a 130 TDI Passat estate and found the the Halifax the best (Premium similar to mine). Might be worth giving them a call.

Hi Rascal,

Sounds alot to me?? is it garaged? off road? have you any points?

I had a Z3 before my sensible tow car and insurance was £550 for that (me 28 and girlfriend 23), My new car, a freelander is only £380. ..cheapest car I have ever insured. .. :) its only £50 when I add a power module aswell. ..

Go on screentrade. co. uk or elephant. co. uk and get some quotes.

Well worth shoping around

Scott

Rascal our 2003 Passat TDi 130 Sport Estate [replaced with the Landcruiser] was group 12 and Parkers Car Price Guide shows Group 12. The Premium to April 2005 was £236. 99 - Norwich Union Direct. Re-check with your Insurance Company. Maybe accidents/penalty points have affected the premium and have you any No Claims Bonus?

Good luck Mike

Insurance Group rating isn't just about performance. It's mainly about cost of repair. Some manufacturers try harder than others to make cars easy and/or cheap to repair.

Comparing cars of similar, or even disimilar, performance doesn't help. An insurance company won't generally alter the grouping of a car although there are some variations between companies.

Insurance 'grouping' is not done by the companies but by Thatcham so it is the same for all of the insurers so if everyone say a Passat is 12 but yours is showing 15 ask where they get the info from.

Guest john1215

Slightly off topic but still about the Passat. My 4motion is really poor in the snow depsite being 4 wheel drive it slips and slides about like any other car. I was hoping for better performance here. This is the only thing I can fault it on though I'm still getting a new V70 in March.

john1215

Most modern cars have very wide profile tyres which act a bit like skis on snow so whilst four wheel drive will help, to get the best out of the car either fit chains all round or change to proper winter tyres which gernerally speaking are narrow (cuts through the snow better) with meatier treads for gripping what ever is below the top layer.

Many countries (such as Switzerland) insist on you having winter tyres - for obvious reasons. ;)