External Power Point

caraman1

Greetings All,

We pick up our new Bailey Auvergne soon, and were wondering about having an External Power Point fitted, the Dealer quotes £69 which sounds rather steep to us. What do you think of having a power point fitted and the price??

King Regards.

Dave

It is veru handy to have especially in the awning however you are right, £69 is a bit steep as the actual plug and cable will probably amount to less than £10. Just use an extension from inside the van to the outside.

Hi Dave,

We paid about the same price for an external socket on our van when it was new and we had the work carried out by the supplying dealer. We didn't attempt it ourselves because the sidewall of the van had to be cut to accommodate a sealed recess for the socket. We use the external socket loads, for external lights and to plug the toaster in when we have breakfast outside!

Yossa

Guest mr_sheens

just remember whoever fits an external socket has to be 16th edition accredited, otherwise it may invalidate your caravan insurance should anything go wrong with it. also when making a whole in the side of the caravan it needs to be sealed correctly otherwise again, if this socket causes ingress it will not be covered by the manufacturers warranty.

with this in mind, this is why it may appear steep from a dealership, but if they have the relevant qualifications you are paying for the peace of mind.

i see so many sockets fitted by customers which are unsafe and downright dangerous!

just remember whoever fits an external socket has to be 16th edition accredited, otherwise it may invalidate your caravan insurance should anything go wrong with it. also when making a whole in the side of the caravan it needs to be sealed correctly otherwise again, if this socket causes ingress it will not be covered by the manufacturers warranty.

with this in mind, this is why it may appear steep from a dealership, but if they have the relevant qualifications you are paying for the peace of mind.

i see so many sockets fitted by customers which are unsafe and downright dangerous!

11695[/snapback]

Are you sure caravans are coverd by the new wireing regulations ??, im pretty sure statics are, but not sure about tourers

Im happy to stand corrected

Depends on where and how they fit it but £69 does not sound that bad. You could always fit it yourself but remember you will need a waterproof socket if its fitted under the van. Not so necessary if fitted in one of the lockers. We find ours that is a standard fitting in our Sterling very useful.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Depends on where and how they fit it but £69 does not sound that bad. You could always fit it yourself but remember you will need a waterproof socket if its fitted under the van. Not so necessary if fitted in one of the lockers. We find ours that is a standard fitting in our Sterling very useful.

David

11747[/snapback]

I've had waterproof sockets fitted under my last two vans in front of the wheels. Cost around £15 and have been fitted by a qualified electrician. I have never yet found them to be wet. They may not be as convenient, but it saves cutting a hole in the side of the van.

We had an electric point and gas bbq point fitted to our last but one van as part of the deal.

The bbq point was useful but the bbq had to go outside the awning anyway so we could have used the spare gas bottle instead of a longer hose.

The electric point was magic, the microwave could be put outside in the awning even in cold weather. it was also very useful for a reading light and or heater, when Better Half decided to read in the awning at night ( peaceful).

Miss the electric point on the new van, but not the bbq point so much. Am saving up to have the leccy one fittted at the dealership during the first service.( might have both if they do a good deal!)

We had the old van seven years and never had a problem with water getting in the electic fitting so I don't think around £65 is a bad price for fitting a plug. ...!!!!! B)

How many caravan fitters are qualified electricians ior CORGI regsitered. I am told that with a caravan they don't have to be Corgi registered to work on your gas appliances. Perhaps the same applies to electrics.

If you were a qualified electrican or auto electrician would you work for the money they pay in the caravan industry as I am given to understand it is quite poor in comparison to other service outlets?

Are you sure caravans are coverd by the new wireing regulations ??, im pretty sure statics are, but not sure about tourers

Im happy to stand corrected

11699[/snapback]

I think you may be getting confused between the New Part P, of the building Regulations and the IEE regulations.