Porch Awning

Steve W77

I am considering a porch awning, (Scenic Plus or Herzog Mistral ). Are they any easier to put up or should I just stick to the full size one.

Hi

We are also considering getting a porch awing for week-ends away. The full length one is a bit of a work up to get set up properly just for a week end stay. I will be interested to see the response you get

Our porchawning, A Bradcot takes longer to erect is also more of a hassle to erect than the full awning, however I beleive the Sunncamp Scenic is very easy to erect and is also very lightweight.

Everyone will have their own views of these types of awnings, we have had both the original Scenic Porch and a conventional porch awning.

The Original Scenic porch. ..convenient to store quite simple to erect and does provide a useful space to kick off shoes and store wet coats etc before getting into the van. We found the space a tad small for use as a sheltered area for sitting out in which is a bit of a downside sometimes.

The conventional porch. ...ours was a decent size being 9x6 which gave a good space and overcame the Scenics limitations. However we found that it was not that much more convenient to put up compared to our full awning.

The convenience in erection will of course depend very much on the models of Porch/Full awnings in question and their methods of erection. At the end of the day and comparing the erection times of both the full awning we found did not take that much more real time or effort given the additional space.

As I said at the start everyone will have their own views on this topic and it's down to personal preference and the space required.

We actually found our porch awning harder to put up than an ordinary awning. There are a lot more poles in a porch awning. (Ours anyway.)

We got it thinking it would fit any caravan. When we changed to our current van we found that the side of the porch awning would either cover a window or the fridge vent. We swopped it for a sun canopy that we only use abroad.

Pete

Guest macSpot

We have an Apache midi awning and a Bradcot full size. They both take about the same amount of time to put up, but we prefer the Apache, it gives us the convenience but we feel its more flexible.

Having said all that, for weekend stays we don't bother with either, although we have been thinking of getting rid of the full awning and buying a NR sun canopy for weekend use.

MacSpot

We decided not to get a porch awning because of the time taken to erect them. While looking at the Scenic Porch awning i didn't feel they were very robust. Also on examining one closely I did not like the way some of the poles ended up against the side of the van in a nylon sleeve - I just felt that after rubbing against the van walls they might leave a mark, or wear through the nylon.

We decided to buy a Dorema Solano sun canopy after seeing two at Bunree last summer and talking to one of the owners. It extends out about 8 feet and has sides. It only takes about 10 minutes to erect by one person. We find it ideal. It provides shelter and keeps the rain off, and is so convenient we do use it for week ends.

Guest john1215

The time to erect does depend on the model of porch awning chosen. We have a bradcot portico plus and it takes less time to erect than the full size bradcot classic we had, there are less poles, less canvas and less pegs to knock in and it doesn't weigh as much. For us the weight is the important bit, whether the time to erect is less means nothing, when we're away in the van were on holiday doing what we enjoy, putting up the awning is all part of the holiday.

john1215

We use a Fiamma Caravanstor and have found it to be brilliant.   Has anybody any experience of the Caravanstor Zip (new or old model).  I really feel that this could be the answer.

Mike

11715[/snapback]

Hi

We have recently bought a Caravanstor Zip (4m) and are going to try it out this weekend weather permitting. Will let you know how it goes !!!

Just back from the weekend, tried out the Caravanstore Zip. Took about an hour to put up initially without pegging. Now we know where all the bits go, should only take about 20 mins. The canopy takes minutes to get out, so straight away you have shelter if it is raining. The sides, front and pegging can all be done from under cover.

Took about 15 mins to take down and stow away. Next weekend will put it up, peg it etc to see what it is like to "live" in !!!

Hi

we purchased a conistan luxe porch awning from NR, it was the first time we had

ever put up a awning (we had always used sun canopies before) and it took about

an hour to a hour and a half we are quite impressed with the build quality of it and

we purchased a breathable ground sheet to go with it, i was pleased it came with

full instructions so it was a matter of step by step of following the instuctions and

there it was, also like that you can purchase straight from NR themselves. :)